Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kalmia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
Florida, USA
I have never witnessed anything such as this on a Mac before, so I'm completely at a loss. It's hard to replicate this problem, as it seems to be totally random--sometimes it'll happen when coming back from sleep, but more often, it just happens in the middle of regular tasks. While I'm using the computer, the screen will suddenly go black for several seconds, and I simply have to wait for it to return. This is a brand-new machine, too, so I'm very weirded out... :confused:

The backlight does seem to stay on during the blackouts, and the mouse pointer remains, as well, so I don't think it's a loose connection or anything like that. Maybe a firmware problem? Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, is there any fix for it? It's not crippling, but it is pretty annoying.

Thanks in advance for any insight! :)

~Kalmia

Kalmia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
Florida, USA
It's week 30, number 1248. Thank you--I'll try to give them a call later today if weather permits. It's storming pretty badly right now, so I doubt I'd get much of a phone signal as it is.

~Kalmia

cprescott1972

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2006
Me too!

I am having this screen blackout problem also. It can be very persistent and distracting!!!! I am on a Mac Pro tower and have had good luck with it until I tried to install Pro Tools... Then Mac sadness.
Any tricks to get this thing up and running?

Thanks. cP

gometro33

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2007
I just started having this problem too. The only thing I can come up with that might have caused this is going to France for two weeks and using my MBP there.

Has this been solved already?

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I've been having this problem too. I have a 2.16GHz C2D MBP. I use it with an external display, and it will very occasionally go blank for a few seconds. The weird thing is, the internal display is unnaffected. It continues to show whatever was on the screen when the external blanks out.

I thought it was an issue with the monitor, since it's new. But, after reading this thread, it seems like it could be an issue with the MBP.

jned

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2007
I don't think it's only an mbp issue. I also have this problem with my PowerMac. I did a clean install on this mac because Tiger crashed and I was really astonished when I first saw a black screen. I don't have this problem with my MBP and iMac.

enmuffins

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
screen blackout

I don't think it's only an mbp issue. I also have this problem with my PowerMac. I did a clean install on this mac because Tiger crashed and I was really astonished when I first saw a black screen. I don't have this problem with my MBP and iMac.

I have this problem with my PowerBook also. Has this problem been addressed ?
:(

xxmedium

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2009
Possible this isn't random?

I just got this MacBook Pro yesterday, used, so I'm feeling a little ify about it's previous home life. I'm blacking out at seemingly random intervals (not ME obviously), BUT, and I'm not kidding here- when I physically POKE the thing in this one spot up on the rubbery part of the screen hinge it instantly comes back on. What's that say about the issue? I'm batting like 10 for 10 on that method, while jiggling (the mouse) and clicking seems to do nothing.

No external monitor, so that's not part of the equation at this point.

Ideas?
xxm

Pro31

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2009
Same thing is happening to me. I just took mine out of the box yesterday. Now I already have to send it back. I didnt even get to do anything with it besides fill out the info on the opening setup.

trippr

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Getting this on my classic silver MBP.. think its a graphics card problem. Taken it to apple store 2moz!
Once i have it back i will post back in here with results

Pro31

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2009
Getting this on my classic silver MBP.. think its a graphics card problem. Taken it to apple store 2moz!
Once i have it back i will post back in here with results

Looking forward to see what they have to say. The closest apple store to me is about 3 hours away so I am just having mine sent in(too busy to go out of town).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.