Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
I have no idea what happened to it. I took it to Hungary where I used it for a year. Everything was fine until I moved back home.

Now, when I try to turn it on, it beeps 3X, the sleep light on the front is constantly on, blinking 4X occasionally, the screen is black, and nothing else happens. :(

The only thing I did with it was move it around a bit since security at London Heathrow was a disaster. What’s the matter with it? Thanks for any help!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Three beeps should mean your computer knows it has RAM but thinks all the chips are dodgy. Maybe take this to a technician or, if you're comfortable with changing RAM, try some different chips.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
You've probably partially popped the RAM modules out of their sockets. Open it up, remove and re-seat the modules in the sockets and see what happens.

You angle the modules to insert the contacts in to the socket. They take a fairly firm push in, *while* they are up on the 30 degree angle. Only then lay them flat down into the sockets side-clips. You should see little or none of the gold contacts remaining visible when the module is flat.

Also try the modules one at a time, on of them may be actually bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.