Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
SO RC1 is out and decided to try this again
i hade a problem in Pre-RC1 that i can't seem to install Vista onto my Bootcamp partition...

Ive figured this one out... Bootcamp formats the drive as FAT32.. and Vista ONLY takes NTFS.. but the stupid thing is when you click reformat under Vista.. it acutaly formats it as FAT16... and it's why it can't be installed onto that partition.... the other factor is that that disc your trying to install it on has to be bootable...

so to fix all this i made 3 partiotions on to another SATA2 drive... one for Windows (C:\)...Vista (D:\) and FAT32(E:\) just so i can transfer between all the OS... i Installed Windows XP first and made that drive primary startup disc
then formated Vista parition to NTFS inside windows xp... then tried the install again of VIsta and tada no problemo

so once it's all running ive stumbled into a another problem
the Video Card isn't getting enough resources to function
it tells me i need ot disable other system devices inorder for it to work.. so ive tried this.. disabling the extra network port... disabling the other pci express slots... even tried pulling out that extra ram board out but none of it works... and dunno what else to try out

so any of you guys out there that knows a workaround or how to free up IRQ and give it ot the Vid card that would be sweet......:confused:

NYCubby

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
Mac Pro Vista Pre-RC1 Video Problem

Guys -

I have spent the past 2 days trying to get this to work.

The problem is that if you look in your device manager (in Vista) you will see that all the "PCI Express x4" ports have a yellow exclamation indicating that the driver couldn't be loaded. I am convinced that this is the reason why we can't get the Nvidia driver to load correctly.

I have tried both fresh installs as well as an upgrade from a working XP install (with the hard drive in DMA mode and video working perfectly) and it's a no-go. Someone in another thread indicated that he did an XP upgrade and the video is working normally but I have no idea how he did it (and I consider myself very good technically!).

Hope someone finds a solution soon -- really want to run Vista on this hot computer!

Aaron

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.