PDA

View Full Version : Apple’s Safari browser market share up 46% year-over-year

MacBytes
Sep 3, 2006, 02:55 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple’s Safari browser market share up 46% year-over-year (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060903155514)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Eraserhead
Sep 3, 2006, 03:11 PM
so that equates to Mac market share up by 46% year on year, as the same number of people probably use Camino, Firefox etc. as before.

Great :)

miniConvert
Sep 3, 2006, 03:16 PM
Great news :) I use Camino myself, but the spread of Safari can only be a good thing. The improvements in Leopard will certainly be welcomed.

brepublican
Sep 3, 2006, 03:21 PM
Great news :) I use Camino myself, but the spread of Safari can only be a good thing. The improvements in Leopard will certainly be welcomed.
I used to use Firefox, but with Apple constantly improving Safari with every update to 10.4, I had no choice but to go back. It keeps getting better and better :)

Some_Big_Spoon
Sep 3, 2006, 03:38 PM
Make it as fast as FF 2 Beta, and I'll use it all the time. Safari 3 still isn't as fast. I like the UI better, but it's still a wee bit slow.

steve_hill4
Sep 3, 2006, 03:45 PM
I like Safari, but still prefer the look and feel of Camino, (and thus also Firefox). There are certain features I feel Safari is lacking which prevents me from using it as my primary browser.

That of course may change if Safari 3, (with 10.5), implements some of these minor features and of course there is the built-in ability to create custom widgets.....

zap2
Sep 3, 2006, 04:00 PM
Make it as fast as FF 2 Beta, and I'll use it all the time. Safari 3 still isn't as fast. I like the UI better, but it's still a wee bit slow.

Yup..i was using Camino, because i thought it looked better with Uno, but i went back to Bon Echo, and its much faster

lorien
Sep 3, 2006, 04:48 PM
I use Camino and Shiira, but when Shiira 2 is finished it will no doubt steal the stage once more

Analog Kid
Sep 3, 2006, 10:21 PM
I use Camino and Shiira, but when Shiira 2 is finished it will no doubt steal the stage once more
Hey-- thanks for pointing me to this one... I'm going to have to use it a bit, but it looks good.

Xander562
Sep 3, 2006, 10:34 PM
wait, so what makes Camino and other's better that Safari?

dmelgar
Sep 3, 2006, 10:35 PM
I've been a long time user of Mozilla and Firefox, but Firefox folks refuse to support Keychain. I didn't like that Camino doesn't support Firefox plugins. I found safariblock to block ads on Safari. I've been using Safari for a while now, almost every site works fine. I only use Firefox to get CBSNews playlists to work. Firefox should add keychain support. Its silly that they don't. Makes them look like a Windows only package.

BenRoethig
Sep 4, 2006, 12:43 AM
I prefer Safari, but I do use firefox a lot for compatibility and stability reasons. As those issues disappear, so do the reasons to use anything else.

Fiveos22
Sep 4, 2006, 02:23 AM

The gecko base, because there are too many sites that do not handle KHTML browsers well (or vice versa).

Personally I like the feel of Safari, especially when I am opening many tabs at once (Camino likes to send you to each new tab that you open, I can't seem to turn that feature off); however, Camino supports the websites I frequent much better.

PCMacUser
Sep 4, 2006, 02:23 AM
I use Firefox on my iBook, because it's also what I prefer to use on Windows and Linux so it gives me consistency. Safari can't do that, although I'm sure it's decent software. But then again, I think IE 7 is pretty decent too.

dmelgar
Sep 4, 2006, 07:18 AM
What's the OS version for people having stability problems with Safari? I've never had a problem with Safari stability. And I can't remember a website that didn't work fine with Safari, other than video playlists on CBS news. I'm on 10.4.7 on a Macbook.

Dagless
Sep 4, 2006, 07:43 AM
And so it should. The best browser I've ever used. I like my apps clean and simple, like MSN Mac messenger. Don't give me things I won't use :)

Warbrain
Sep 4, 2006, 08:22 AM
While it's good to know that Safari is claiming more of the market since that means that Macs are being bought, I don't know why people insist on using Safari. Firefox is a much better browser, especially the beta 2. It's excellent. It's fast, it's responsive, and it's stable. When a beta of Firefox is more stable than Safari, which will regularly crash on me and/or quit responding to my keyboard and mouse, then I know what I'm sticking with.

kresh
Sep 4, 2006, 08:27 AM
While it's good to know that Safari is claiming more of the market since that means that Macs are being bought, I don't know why people insist on using Safari. Firefox is a much better browser, especially the beta 2. It's excellent. It's fast, it's responsive, and it's stable. When a beta of Firefox is more stable than Safari, which will regularly crash on me and/or quit responding to my keyboard and mouse, then I know what I'm sticking with.

In the year and a half that I have owned my Mac Mini (my first Mac), Safari has crashed twice.

I keep hearing these stories about Safari being so unstable, but I just don't see it. I use it alot too, I've been out of work due to an injury for 6 months and almost every day, all day, I spend browsing the web with Safari.

Maybe I'm lucky, cause I really love it. I don't have any plug-ins loaded though, maybe that's it.

mr.fancypants
Sep 4, 2006, 08:41 AM
The increased marketshare could also be attributable to users browsing with Mac IE less and less (thank god).

Dunepilot
Sep 4, 2006, 10:52 AM
I've been steering clear of Firefox recently since I heard people on MR talking about it having a bug that would max processor usage. When I have used Firefox, I've found the Windows version more responsive on similar hardware. I find Safari okay, but it's a bit sluggish.

plinden
Sep 4, 2006, 11:39 AM
When a beta of Firefox is more stable than Safari, which will regularly crash on me and/or quit responding to my keyboard and mouse, then I know what I'm sticking with.

I use Firefox on my Mac (because I also use Linux and XP regularly and have go used to it), and it crashes regularly. Not often, but a couple of times a month it will "quit unexpectedly". I only have the adblock and "modify headers" extensions, and AquaFox theme installed.

I would probably use Safari more, but the lack of a Home button (I do know about shift-cmd-H) and an adblock equivalent keeps pushing me back to Firefox. On the other hand, the lack of a Home key shortcut in Firefox, for when I don't want to take my hands off the keyboard, annoys me almost as much as the lack of a Home button in Safari.

bigandy
Sep 4, 2006, 11:43 AM
i've never had a single problem with safari. ever.

and firefox for the mac is uuuugly.

ingenious
Sep 4, 2006, 03:06 PM
I prefer Safari, but I do use firefox a lot for compatibility and stability reasons. As those issues disappear, so do the reasons to use anything else.

I used to use Firefox all the time. I'd only ever use Safari because of the way Java would mess up in Firefox. Then I got sick of how many times I had to deal with Firefox opening and crashing and the interface and everything else. I'm happy with Safari.

SPUY767
Sep 4, 2006, 06:03 PM
I stand by what I have always said, "Opera is the world's finest web browser." The guys are Opera HQ seem to implement new features before the others, and their browser seems to just work better than any of the alternatives. They lost out big to Firefox on market share cause opera wasn't totally free to begin with, but they're still better.

macidiot
Sep 5, 2006, 12:19 PM

Memory usage. Safari uses a ridiculous amount of memory.

kozmic stu
Sep 6, 2006, 01:25 PM
I would probably use Safari more, but the lack of a Home button (I do know about shift-cmd-H) and an adblock equivalent keeps pushing me back to Firefox.

Well it must be your lucky day: Safari HAS a home button! and what's more, it always has!

Simply right click (or ctrl-click) on the gap between any two buttons on the button bar. Point your way down to the 'Customize Toolbar...' and "HEY Presto!" Fully customizable button bar, including the ability to remove buttons you don't like, AND add extra ones from a list, including a home button!

While we're on the subject of forgotten tricks in Mac OS X, in MOST alert boxes, you can access ANY button from the keyboard simply by holding the command key and typing the first letter of the text in the button. Hope this helps!

Stu

dmelgar
Sep 6, 2006, 08:01 PM
I would probably use Safari more, but the lack of a Home button (I do know about shift-cmd-H) and an adblock equivalent keeps pushing me back to Firefox.
There is an adblock equivalent, Safariblock. http://fsbsoftware.com/SafariBlock.html

tringo
Sep 6, 2006, 08:12 PM
My only beef with Safari is that there is no tab button on the toolbar, like there is on Firefox.

Another thing is that the CTRL-Enter doesn't add the http://www.*****.com around anything you type.

Oh and another thing, I don't like how you have to click in the address box 3 times to select all the text.

dmelgar
Sep 6, 2006, 11:54 PM
My only beef with Safari is that there is no tab button on the toolbar, like there is on Firefox.

Another thing is that the CTRL-Enter doesn't add the http://www.*****.com around anything you type.

Oh and another thing, I don't like how you have to click in the address box 3 times to select all the text.
Command-T creates another tab in Safari. I've used Firefox for years and have never noticed a "tab" button. I'm using it now, I don't see one.

I thought clicking 3 times to select the entire URL was the way text selection worked. Thats what I always have to do in Firefox, at least on Windows

Lollypop
Sep 7, 2006, 03:00 AM
more market share for safari means more web developers have to pay attention to safari (and non IE browsers) and that means sites that work better on ALL browsers. :D :D

tringo
Sep 7, 2006, 01:09 PM
Command-T creates another tab in Safari. I've used Firefox for years and have never noticed a "tab" button. I'm using it now, I don't see one.

I thought clicking 3 times to select the entire URL was the way text selection worked. Thats what I always have to do in Firefox, at least on Windows

Yeah I knew about Command-T, but it's so much easier if the button is on the screen.

You are wasting precious time by clicking 3 times, if you click once all text is selected.

Chef Medeski
Sep 7, 2006, 03:19 PM
it must be noted that the high point for the past year period was 3.30% set in April 2006 and it has been largely flat in 2006. Whether this "flatness" is attributable to Apple's Intel transition is unknown.
Thats because everyone who transitioned finally found out about better browsers...;)

they will be back just like me when they find out all the others are buggy.... so jump by nov. :rolleyes:

dsnort
Sep 7, 2006, 04:39 PM

Try clicking the little icon all the way to the left of the address box, just to the left of http:. One click on that selects all text.

dsnort
Sep 7, 2006, 04:42 PM

Oh, and another thing, in my experience, Safari doesn't need this. Just type out your address and hit enter.

BornAgainMac
Sep 7, 2006, 04:48 PM
I can't really tell the difference in speed between Safari and Firefox. If Safari is a memory hog then it won't affect any of my Macs since they all have a minimum of 2 GBs. I keep trying Firefox looking for something because of all the hype. I like that it works and is sort of like Safari Lite. But that is all. It is my default for Windows.

The feature I like with Safari is the RSS reader and being able to sync bookmarks with all my Macs with .Mac.

dsnort
Sep 8, 2006, 09:27 AM
I just love those websites that tell me I must "upgrade to IE X.xx" to use their services. Upgrade to IE???? Bwhahahahahahahahaha