Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Microsoft is capping the number of emails that users of its free Hotmail service can send each day in order to cut down on spam (junk email), according to the Associated Press. The company hopes to stop people from using its service to send the unsolicited messages by limiting the number that a user can send in a 24-hour period to 100
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/030325/hotmail_spam_1.html

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
That is too much, some one that spam may send 5 sets of e-mails a day, I may get 2 mesages from the same address a day.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Just for laughs, at the end of last year I deleted all emails from one of the hotmail addresses I give out online. I havn't sent anyone any messages to that address or recieved anything other the a few (10 at most all year) legitimate emails from a few online info subscriptions like javascript.

Because barkmonster is kind of a non descript name, most spammers send me crap for both men and women, It's not even the kind of stuff that might give me ideas for mother's day presents. just complete filth or at the very least the kind 'debt consolodation' crap you get on TV with those people practically suicidal over their money worries that have them all solved by the end of the advert and even have enough to buy a new car (the dumb bastards!) :D

1192 completely JUNK emails as of today!!!

I'm thinking of waiting till it gets to 1500, finding the folder they're all stored in and mailing the lot to microsoft as a zip file (still using OS 9 and outlooks express).

iWantAMac

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
AUS
LOL @ runningman.

I, personally, haven't had a problem with too much spam in my Hotmail account. Though, (obviously) no spam is preferable, I would consider the amount I get to be quite good. I'm not quite sure what is 'normal' for the average Hotmail user, but I get a max. of about 5-6 spam emails /week.

Also, I have noticed (through use of multiple Hotmail accounts) that when I open the Junk Mail folder and set the Filter level (to either Default, Enhanced or Exclusive) I begin to recieve more junk mail than I did when the filter had not been set at all.
I noticed this when I realised that my 'proper' or 'real' email account was not getting as much spam as my three other accounts. I opened the Junk Mail folder and noticed that I forgot to set the filter after I ceated the account. And so I've never set it, and still, I don't get as much spam in that account as I do in my others.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Maybe if they would limit the number of junk e-mails received to 100/day it would help quite a bit more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.