PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook memory upgrades - best place to buy?

dkeninitz
Mar 26, 2003, 01:04 PM
I think I'm gonna updgrade the memory in my PB to 1gb. The Apple store wants $200 per 512mb module, but I see lots of places on the 'Net selling them for $95 - $100. Is there anything I should watch out for in buying from one of these? On PC notebooks it's generally safe to buy generic memory; is this also true for Mac's? Thanks.

Don

GetSome681
Mar 26, 2003, 01:23 PM
Most generic memory will work. You'll want to watch out for crappy ram though, as sometimes they aren't backed by a lifetime warranty like some of the better brands. Also, I'm not sure what the latency is on the standard ram in that PB, but you don't really want to buy some ram that has a higher latency than what you already have in there or else you are defeating the purpose of having that low latency ram.

www.pricewatch.com is a website devoted primarily to tracking ram prices. You should be able to score a generic 512 stick for ~$60 or so.

I would suggest www.googlegear.com as they have some of the lowest prices on the web for the good brands of memory, not to mention it's usually like $0.01 or so for 2nd day shipping.

www.newegg.com is also a favorite...very low prices, and very reliable.