PDA

View Full Version : New iPods, iMac, Movie Store on September 12th?

MacRumors
Sep 4, 2006, 06:30 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

A number of recent reports have claimed that September 12th (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060831122800.shtml) will bring an Apple media event with iMac updates.

ThinkSecret now reports (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0609sept12event.html) that Apple's September 12th media event will also introduce a 2nd generation iPod Nano and an updated 5G iPod alongside upgraded iMacs.

According to the rumor site the new iPod nano will feature larger storage capacities as well as multiple colors in a metal finish. Meanwhile, the new full-size iPod will simply sport upgraded capacities at the same price point. ThinkSecret does not expect the long rumored touch-screen video iPod until 2007, but does expect the introduction of the iTunes Movie Store at this event.

Eraserhead
Sep 4, 2006, 06:32 AM
I wonder when new Macbooks/Macbook pros will come?

macintel4me
Sep 4, 2006, 06:36 AM
Finally there is hope on some new iPods! :D

IEatApples
Sep 4, 2006, 06:36 AM
I would love a 23" iMac :)

Metal Nanos are also great :D

WildPalms
Sep 4, 2006, 06:43 AM
I want a 21" iPod! :D

The all new surfPod! ...and we'll have fun, fun fun, since daddy took the iTunes awayyyyyy...

AppleinJapan
Sep 4, 2006, 06:48 AM
Ive waited and waited for a year to replace my old G3 imac so I hope that Apple release an Imac with a 23 inch screen ! It would be great for animators like myself.....I was thinking of buying a Samsung screen anyway so plz Apple release it

brandon6684
Sep 4, 2006, 06:57 AM
The following is just me personal guesses as too updates to Apples hardware over the next 6 months or so, with a few coming on the 12th and most by the end of the year.

MacBook Pros updated to Core 2 Duos is a no brainer, though I'm not sure if they'd launch it at such and event, but still possible since it is a bit more than speed bump, and you know Steve would want to brag about his new 64-bit PowerBooks.

Also, the iMacs seem to be in the same boat processor wise, though which Core 2 Duo isn't quite as obvious of a choice. If they could fit a G5 in the form factor, it seems reasonable that they could get Conroe in there too, but Merom would let it run cooler. Considering the large gap between the Mac mini and Mac Pro, a 23" iMac would just make sense, unless the much hoped for Conroe based mid tower was released, though that a lot less likely than a 23" iMac, or even a 30" iMac, so don't hold your breath.

MacBooks, don't hold your breath, possibly price drops to get it to $999 again since Yonah prices have come down since launch, but don't expect a Core 2 Duo any time soon. The MacBook is already eating the MacBook Pro's launch due to the similar specs, so the Core 2 is likely to be the MacBook Pro advantage.

Like the MacBook, the Mac mini could see drops back down to G4 levels, and I would discount the Core Duos across the line, but again, don't look for the Core 2 Duo anytime soon.

As for iPods, I would expect the touch screen Video iPod to come out in time for the holiday season, though maybe not on the 12th. The reason being to compete with the Zune and the fact that there finally seems to be a deal about a movie store. As for the regular iPod, probably 40GB and 80GB versions at the current prices, with a slim chance at a 60GB model at $349. As for the nano, probably doubling of storage on all models(2GB, 4GB, 8GB) at the same price points. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1GB nano at around $129 either. As for the shuffle, if it survives, 512MB at $49 and 1GB at around $79 or so.

javizoso
Sep 4, 2006, 07:02 AM
Hi.

I ordered an iMac Core Duo 20" more than two weeks ago in Spain and have received two emails from the Apple Store delaying its shippment due to "unexpected number of orders and availability of that product" which is kind of suspicious. Finally, it was shipped on Aug. 31 but the delivery date was and still is Sep. 12! ... I think I just might get one of the upgraded iMacs because Apple never took almost to weeks to deliver any product to me.

When I get the computer I will post about whatever it is inside!

:)

cleanup
Sep 4, 2006, 07:21 AM
Awww and I haven't even gotten tired of my first generation nano yet...

But if the metal enclosure is as good as those on the minis then I might just have to upgrade. :p

zenntench_oni
Sep 4, 2006, 07:25 AM
nooo. im not gonna have enough money for another ipod.
dam it. oh wells. ill give myself a month to save up. . .

other than that. ill enjoy some tea that i make

brandon6684
Sep 4, 2006, 07:26 AM
Awww and I haven't even gotten tired of my first generation nano yet...

But if the metal enclosure is as good as those on the minis then I might just have to upgrade. :p

I still like my first generation Nano, but my girlfriends dog got a hold of it and broke the screen. Luckily I can see just enough of the bottom of the screen to put in on shuffle songs, so it's like having and extra wide black shuffle. I'm waiting update before I buy a new one. Besides, my trusty mini still works too.

hyperpasta
Sep 4, 2006, 07:29 AM
I trust only AppleInsider, not ThinkSecret. What they say goes, as far as I remember. Remember last year's October event?

AppleInsider: There will be a video-capable iPod coming out next week.
ThinkSecret: Actually, there will be no iPod coming out next week.
ThinkSecret: Actually, there will be an 80GB regular iPod coming out next week.
ThinkSecret: Actually, there WILL be a video-capable iPod coming out today <for it was the day of the event by the time they had finally gotten their facts straight.>

Some of ThinkSecret's dirt matches AI's. This will come to pass. Everything else will not necessarily happen.

MarcelV
Sep 4, 2006, 07:29 AM
If it's just an upgrade for the 5G iPod, I m gonna be disappointed......at myself. I was holding off to replace my aging 3G iPod, and was gonna wait till 6G (full screen). But if it's just about a larger harddrive, i really could have bought the current one loooong time ago.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Sep 4, 2006, 07:32 AM
New nanos would be nice. I promised my girlfriend a new mid-range nano, as soon as they were updated, for her birthday - and that was two weeks ago... hopefully she can get her birthday present within a month of her birthday... :)

Zoboomafoo
Sep 4, 2006, 07:32 AM
Sept 12: Supposed release date of new Nanos
Sept 16: End of "Buy a Mac, get a free Nano" promotion.

Either there is going to be a four day mac shopping spree or perhaps iPods aren't going to be the subject of the event.

pixelpp
Sep 4, 2006, 07:42 AM
I just hope that the videos come to Australia when they are announced in the USA.

a new iPod Nano would be great too!
-Stephen Rose

ezekielrage_99
Sep 4, 2006, 07:43 AM
iMac and iPod updates sound pretty reasonable, personally I think we will have to see something released next week. I also think we wil see the end of Solo processors in the Mac Mini line by October at the latest.

Just got my tax return and a new iPod and iMac would be nice :cool:

Gandalf77
Sep 4, 2006, 07:49 AM
I work for one of Apple's biggest distributors, we will receive the new products this week ready for shipment next week....so I would say the 12th is about right.
We worked out that there is probably going to be a new nano, as we had to order new, very small, product labels. The rest we will know this week, our product file is updated well in advance but the description is only added at the last moment.

brandon6684
Sep 4, 2006, 07:50 AM
I just hope that the videos come to Australia when they are announced in the USA.

If the movie store is announced on the 12th, I'm guessing the Aussie store will arrive some time in 2009 :) though maybe movies don't have as messed up distribution rights as music, but don't hold your breath.

Pallish
Sep 4, 2006, 07:50 AM
I just cancelled my MacBook+iPod-order... The folks at Apple couldn't say if the back to school-offer would still be valid if I switched iPods so I'm placing a new order on Tuesday so I can save 200 bucks on the iPod :)

Ted13
Sep 4, 2006, 07:52 AM
I certainly hope that the resolution on the Apple Movie Store will be AT LEAST 480x720 (aka 480P). Otherwise, between Netflix and super cheap DVDs these days, I don't see how Apple can compete with lower than DVD resolution.

If they are really smart (and the studios play ball, which is doubtful) they would go straight to 1080P.

Scarlet Fever
Sep 4, 2006, 07:53 AM
haha i mate of mine got herself a nano against my recomendations... she will be crying when she sees the new ones... :p

I certainly hope that the resolution on the Apple Movie Store will be AT LEAST 480x720 (aka 480P). Otherwise, between Netflix and super cheap DVDs these days, I don't see how Apple can compete with lower than DVD resolution.I fear the files will be too big to download. It would be an overnighter to download a 320*240 movie as it is with my connection, anything bigger will just take far too long. And anyway, if they did that, people would have to re-encode it for their iPods.

Chaszmyr
Sep 4, 2006, 07:54 AM
I just cancelled my MacBook+iPod-order... The folks at Apple couldn't say if the back to school-offer would still be valid if I switched iPods so I'm placing a new order on Tuesday so I can save 200 bucks on the iPod :)

When new products are released, the existing promotional deals don't always apply to them.

JimmyB248
Sep 4, 2006, 07:56 AM
I certainly hope that the resolution on the Apple Movie Store will be AT LEAST 480x720 (aka 480P). Otherwise, between Netflix and super cheap DVDs these days, I don't see how Apple can compete with lower than DVD resolution.

If they are really smart (and the studios play ball, which is doubtful) they would go straight to 1080P.

I agree with you on the DVD quality. But could imagine how long it would take to downlaod a 1080p film? Days! The hard drive space would be another thing, it would be about 10 or 11 gigs for one film! At least. This is not going to be possible for at least 3 or 4 years I would say.

Nuks
Sep 4, 2006, 07:57 AM
yeah, I wonder if the nanos will be updated, as they are available free with purchase of a mac. If the sizes are all updated, which one would you get for free?

Pallish
Sep 4, 2006, 07:58 AM
When new products are released, the existing promotional deals don't always apply to them.

Let's hope this isn't case.. Anyway, here in Sweden the back to school-offer lasts until October 7th so if it shouldn't apply then I can just place a new order :p

kresh
Are the new Nanos still going to come with the Samsung Chip? I hope so.

It's a shame that these $65.00 chinese 1GB MP4 players with the Samsung chip have MP3 playback - Video - FM Radio - eBook Reader - Photo Viewer - Voice & FM Recorder, yet the Nano at three times the price does not! ( linky: http://www.uxcell.com/uxcell/retail/item/showItemLayout.php?action=showItem&id=mv0blk1024mp022 or http://www.uxcell.com/uxcell/retail/item/showItemLayout.php?action=showItem&id=mv0wht1024mp029 or http://www.uxcell.com/uxcell/retail/item/showItemLayout.php?action=showItem&id=mv0blk1024mp031 or http://www.uxcell.com/uxcell/retail/item/showItemLayout.php?action=showItem&id=mv0blk1024mp015 or http://www.uxcell.com/uxcell/retail/item/showItemLayout.php?action=showItem&id=mv0blk1024mp035 or http://www.uxcell.com/uxcell/retail/item/showItemLayout.php?action=showItem&id=mv0pur1024mp033 )

The Nano with these features, plus iTMS, will withstand anything coming from Sandisk, MS, Creative, or the cheap Chinese imports.

Bring them on! My kids just can't wait. (me too) :)

Nuks

What exactly do you mean by that?

mackiwi
Sep 4, 2006, 08:00 AM
If the movie store is announced on the 12th, I'm guessing the Aussie store will arrive some time in 2009 :) though maybe movies don't have as messed up distribution rights as music, but don't hold your breath.

Following that logic...New Zealand will get iTunes store in march 5th, 2015. Thats just a basic itunes music store. not asking for anything fancy here.

Seriously, ALL I WANT TO DO IS BUY MUSIC!!! how hard can it be?

Lau
Sep 4, 2006, 08:00 AM
This is rather cool. I've put my iPod on eBay, to finish on Sunday 10th, because I'm thinking of getting a Nano, but as it happens it's rather good timing, both to get a good price for it, and for me getting a Nano. First time ever it's worked out like this — a rumour for something I'm getting, so I can be excited about Tuesday. :D

And if I don't like the new ones, there's always refurbs. :)

Tommyg117
Sep 4, 2006, 08:01 AM
Macbook Pro! Come on apple, I want to get one for back to school!

pixelpp
Sep 4, 2006, 08:01 AM

I am not holding my breath, (i only have a ~3 breath anyway), if they have to talk to all of our movie corps, I don't like there chances...

But if there's anyone that can do it, Its Apple.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Sep 4, 2006, 08:02 AM
It's a shame that these $50.00 chinese 1GB and $70.00 2GB MP4 players with the Samsung chip have MP3 playback - Video - FM Radio - eBook Reader - Photo Viewer - Voice & FM Recorder, yet the Nano at three times the price does not!

The Nano with these features, plus iTMS, will withstand anything coming from Sandisk, MS, Creative, or the cheap Chinese imports.Yes, because at the moment the competition is killing the iPods... oh, wait...

Seriously: Why should you cram all that s*** into the iPods. Leave them be, and sell all those other things as optional accessories... I don't want a radio, video and voice recorder, so why should I have to pay for all that...?

Pallish
Sep 4, 2006, 08:03 AM
What exactly do you mean by that?

Return the old (unopened) iPod and get a new one instead.

aaronb
Sep 4, 2006, 08:04 AM
So when are these Merom MBPs coming out? I really don't care too much for an iTunes Movie Store. Some of us have been waiting since January.

kresh
Sep 4, 2006, 08:16 AM
Yes, because at the moment the competition is killing the iPods... oh, wait...

Seriously: Why should you cram all that s*** into the iPods. Leave them be, and sell all those other things as optional accessories... I don't want a radio, video and voice recorder, so why should I have to pay for all that...?

Do a little research on eBay and see how many of these are listed and sold per hour. These cheap Chinese imports are not tracked in overall sales figures of MP3 players. I don't know what kind of market share they have.

I've bought 5 of them myself, and those sales figures are not tracked and compared to Apples market share. One of the Chinese manufacturers has a 2 million unit per month build capacity, but they are in a 3 week back order status. I was hoping to get in the business on eBay and have done a ton of research on them. (These guys just came of of back order status: http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/mp4-player-1gb-15inch-tftscreen/ )

I think the Apple investors would be shocked if it were known just how many of these players were sold and shipped to the US, but there is just no way to know.

asphalt-proof
Sep 4, 2006, 08:25 AM
I recently read an article that outlined the orchestration of product release by Apple. In a nutshell, Apple does't want to release too many products in one setting because 1. each new release potentially overshadows the next 2. media buzz will die down in a couple weeks. Apple wants to keep their name in the news as much as possible so they make major announcements, in drips and drabs. Of course this may or may not apply to this new event, but i would speculate that they would not release a new iPod and a 23" iMac in the same event. Apple depends on maximum buzz with the release of the new iPods and I don't think they would take the shance that a new iMac would overshadow it completely. Thoughts?

Mitthrawnuruodo
Sep 4, 2006, 08:25 AM
Do a little research on eBay and see how many of these are listed and sold per hour. These cheap Chinese imports are not tracked in overall sales figures of MP3 players. I don't know what kind of market share they have.1) I don't use eBay - but how many iPods are sold there?
2) How many iPods are sold - through regular outlets - every hour?
3) iPods are made in China
4) If you don't even know the market share how do you know they are threatening iPod sales?

kresh
Sep 4, 2006, 08:38 AM
1) I don't use eBay - but how many iPods are sold there?
2) How many iPods are sold - through regular outlets - every hour?
3) iPods are made in China
4) If you don't even know the market share how do you know they are threatening iPod sales?

I can't really. It's just anecedotal evidence at best, but...

1) If a manufacturer that can build 2 million per month goes on backorder plus every body and their brother is
selling them on eBay, it stands to reason that they are selling some. the backorder could have been component
related or sales related, they did not specify.

2) I know the iPod's are made in China, but the manufacturer's I'm talking about are not Foxconn.

3) PortalPlayer said they lost the flash based MP3 player business at Apple to Samsung. That makes me think that Apple is paying attention to how many of these Samsung based players are being sold.

I'm sure Samsung approached Apple and said something like "Look we're selling x amount of these chips per month, it has these features that crush PortalPlayer, let's go to lunch and write a purchase order".

----------------

Like I said it's anecedotal. I didn't mean to imply by saying the Apple investors would be shocked to mean that their market share is threatened.

If the chip costs the same if you use those features or not, I hope Apple goes with it. I know you don't want all those features crammed in there, but if it costs the same either way, would it really hurt you that much if they were?

iLias
Sep 4, 2006, 08:39 AM
It would be great if they will introduce a 23" iMac with a built in TV-tuner and a revision of Front Row :)

macintel4me
Sep 4, 2006, 08:46 AM
It would be great if they will introduce a 23" iMac with a built in TV-tuner and a revision of Front Row :)
That's HOT (figuratively and literally)!! I think the only way you could pull that off is with an external tuner, just like laptops have an external power supply.

Goldfinger
Sep 4, 2006, 08:59 AM
http://www.ipodhub.net/330/2006/9/04/ipod-movies-unveiled/

Some info on the movie store FWIW.

KingYaba
Sep 4, 2006, 09:06 AM
Ok no one cares about iPod nanos. We want Merom MacBook Pros!!!!!

kresh
Sep 4, 2006, 09:08 AM

How about a Memron Nano. It has a 3 second battery life, but during those three seconds it is one amazing MP3 player :p

tekmoe
Sep 4, 2006, 09:09 AM

not always but usually...

ex: mac pro

MacBoobsPro
Sep 4, 2006, 09:10 AM

And I was going to moan about the UK store :D I feel guilty now.

I'm looking at buying a new 42" or greater HD TV, I daren't actually go through with it though because I have a feeling Apple is working on something similar as part of a frontrow media centre. Well... thats what i'd like to think! :D

hyperpasta
Sep 4, 2006, 09:11 AM
I recently read an article that outlined the orchestration of product release by Apple. In a nutshell, Apple does't want to release too many products in one setting because 1. each new release potentially overshadows the next 2. media buzz will die down in a couple weeks. Apple wants to keep their name in the news as much as possible so they make major announcements, in drips and drabs. Of course this may or may not apply to this new event, but i would speculate that they would not release a new iPod and a 23" iMac in the same event. Apple depends on maximum buzz with the release of the new iPods and I don't think they would take the shance that a new iMac would overshadow it completely. Thoughts?

Well, I believe that Apple WILL introduce an iPod alongside a Mac, as they did last october. A new Mac isn't worth the cover of TIME, but a new iPod is. By introducing a Mac at the same time, it shares the spotlight. Last year when the video iPod came out, the new iMac G5 with iSight also made the cover of TIME, but it wouldn't have if there wasn't a video iPod next to it.

What you say applies to multiple iPods; Apple wouldn't introduce the 6G iPod alongside a new nano.

MacinDoc
Sep 4, 2006, 09:13 AM
And when was the last time ThinkSecret got a rumor right???

AidenShaw
Sep 4, 2006, 09:13 AM

Great for the dorm room ... but rather pointless for the home theatre.

Bring on the DVD-player sized HTPC pizza-box - two to four tuners, 1.5 TB disk, Conroe....

(Related post in the 23" iMac thread - http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2792129&postcount=664 )

mjstew33
Sep 4, 2006, 09:14 AM
seriously.

since the got sued they're rumors have been crap. :(

tekmoe
Sep 4, 2006, 09:22 AM

they had it right with the macbook...sorta.

Caitlyn
Sep 4, 2006, 09:32 AM
ThinkSecret is generally dead on when it comes to things like this. So, it'd be great if they released an updated 23" iMac. I just got a 5G iPod 30GB in July and am happy with it so I don't need a new 'pod. And yes, I just got a new MacBook 2 weeks ago, but for future purchases, a 23" iMac would be neat.

asphalt-proof
Sep 4, 2006, 09:34 AM
That's HOT (figuratively and literally)!! I think the only way you could pull that off is with an external tuner, just like laptops have an external power supply.
Does a TV tuner add THAT much heat? Plus, with 23" of real estate to play with I would think that they could find a way to keep the heat down

simontarr
Sep 4, 2006, 09:35 AM
I'm a student about to go to uni and have worked ALL summer holidays to save up for an imac, and now i hear they will be updating it! I'm still within my 14 day 'no questions asked' return period, but i will be out of that period on 12th september which its supposed to be released.

I was just wondering if anyone had past experiences with apple when going from PPC to intel- is there a 30-day period or something where if you brought a PPC imac, they would exchange it to the intel based imac as a good-will gesture.If they do then fantasti- no need for me to send it back and wait to see if the rumour comes true (and leave myself without a computer in the meantime)

I'm studing computer science and am a heavy user, so ANY speed increases are very welcome. bring on the coore 2 duos! I was a PC user since beginning of time (thats all my parents brough lol) but now ive gone to mac and osx, theres no looking back.

dont get me wrong, the imac is QUICK with 2GB RAM, but core 2 duo is faster....
any help would be really appreciated.

hvfsl
Sep 4, 2006, 09:36 AM
For those hoping for a merom MacBook Pro (like me) on the 12th, I wouldn't hold your breath. Going by previous Apple laptop upgrade cycles, I would expect to see the merom MBP by around the middle of October.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Sep 4, 2006, 09:38 AM
I'm a student about to go to uni and have worked ALL summer holidays to save up for an imac, and now i hear they will be updating it! I'm still within my 14 day 'no questions asked' return period, but i will be out of that period on 12th september which its supposed to be released.

I was just wondering if anyone had past experiences with apple when going from PPC to intel- is there a 30-day period or something where if you brought a PPC imac, they would exchange it to the intel based imac as a good-will gesture.If they do then fantasti- no need for me to send it back and wait to see if the rumour comes true (and leave myself without a computer in the meantime)

I'm studing computer science and am a heavy user, so ANY speed increases are very welcome. bring on the coore 2 duos! I was a PC user since beginning of time (thats all my parents brough lol) but now ive gone to mac and osx, theres no looking back.

any help would be really appreciated.

Don't you have to pay a restocking fee, even if you're within the 14-day return period?

MrCrowbar
Sep 4, 2006, 09:38 AM
I say new Nanos and iMacs, but hopefully with new enclosures (more scratch resistant iPod, iMac with less chin). Mac Mini might get a speed bump or price drop at the same time.

But the iMac getting Merom before the Macbook Pro... It would make sense updating the two at the same time. I'd love to see the MBP get an enclosure similar to the Macbook. Make them covered with black Vinyl like the Macbooks. Everyone can then choose whether they want to peel the Vinyl off to have the bare metal or not.

:o

aaronb
Sep 4, 2006, 09:39 AM
For those hoping for a merom MacBook Pro (like me) on the 12th, I wouldn't hold your breath. Going by previous Apple laptop upgrade cycles, I would expect to see the merom MBP by around the middle of October.

I don't think that we'll be kept waiting quite that long. I don't think Steve will let Dell and other companies put out Core 2 Duos without Apple being close behind.

I do think we'll see a very soon Tuesday or Sept. 12th release. If not, a ton of college going students aren't going to be pleased.

simontarr
Sep 4, 2006, 09:42 AM
Don't you have to pay a restocking fee, even if you're within the 14-day return period?

More than likely, but that doesn't bother me. I don't mind spending a little extra and causing myself a bit of hassle if it means I can get the supposed 23" iMac.

cr2sh
Sep 4, 2006, 09:47 AM
We're going to get a video nano... and then a month or two later a true video ipod.

It's the standard apple jive... realease one that we want and then another that we want more.

berkleeboy210
Sep 4, 2006, 09:48 AM
Didn't they do this last year too?

In september they had an event for the itunes phone, and nanos. then in october they had another event for the 5g ipod and the imac?

MattyMac
Sep 4, 2006, 09:55 AM
Alll man....what a great Birthday Present for me!!!!

Philgr
Sep 4, 2006, 10:06 AM
Whats a guess on price for a fully loaded 23' Imac ?

AvSRoCkCO1067
Sep 4, 2006, 10:09 AM

Unless it contains features that are superior to the 20" iMac (i.e. faster processor, dual hard drives, more ram slots, better video card options), I'd hope for a 2099 release price (or a 100-dollar drop on all iMacs, and a 1999 price).

Didn't they do this last year too?

In september they had an event for the itunes phone, and nanos. then in october they had another event for the 5g ipod and the imac?

Yup - although that phone was crapper...

berkleeboy210
Sep 4, 2006, 10:20 AM
Yup - although that phone was crapper...

indeed.... can't argue w/ that one. -

maybe they'll merge the ipod nano design into a cell phone. - i just got the LG chocolate and it's pretty sweet.

BenRoethig
Sep 4, 2006, 10:31 AM
ThinkSecret is generally dead on when it comes to things like this. So, it'd be great if they released an updated 23" iMac. I just got a 5G iPod 30GB in July and am happy with it so I don't need a new 'pod. And yes, I just got a new MacBook 2 weeks ago, but for future purchases, a 23" iMac would be neat.

They were until they got sued

me354
Sep 4, 2006, 10:56 AM
i find it hard to believe that apple has had almost a year to add improvements to the ipods and all we're gonna see is upgraded hardrives.. dont they have an entire division working on these ipods.. they must have figured something out in that amount of time

predictions:
Core 2 Duo Imacs
True Video ipod
bumped nano harddrives(new enclosure?)
one more thing....?

Chris Bangle
Sep 4, 2006, 11:06 AM
i find it hard to believe that apple has had almost a year to add improvements to the ipods and all we're gonna see is upgraded hardrives.. dont they have an entire division working on these ipods.. they must have figured something out in that amount of time

predictions:
Core 2 Duo Imacs
True Video ipod
bumped nano harddrives(new enclosure?)
one more thing....?

yeh, your right, its not like apple are microsoft or anything. full screen ipods shuld be easy to make in a year

Sep 4, 2006, 11:17 AM
I trust only AppleInsider, not ThinkSecret. What they say goes, as far as I remember. Remember last year's October event?

AppleInsider: There will be a video-capable iPod coming out next week.
ThinkSecret: Actually, there will be no iPod coming out next week.
ThinkSecret: Actually, there will be an 80GB regular iPod coming out next week.
ThinkSecret: Actually, there WILL be a video-capable iPod coming out today <for it was the day of the event by the time they had finally gotten their facts straight.>

ThinkSecret has had an awful track record the past year or so. Some people here seem to be stuck in the good old days when they were actually a reliable source. Those days are gone. Their sources dried up.

Why would Apple announce their movie store when they don't have a decent video iPod to play them on? What has Apple been working on the past year? Larger capacities? The 5G iPods have not been updated in all this time and yet 80GB drives have been available all along. It just doesn't add up.

berkleeboy210
Sep 4, 2006, 11:23 AM
Was the one more thing at the iPod event last October the TV shows?

If so, the one more thing this year could be the Movies.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Sep 4, 2006, 11:23 AM
yeh, your right, its not like apple are microsoft or anything. full screen ipods shuld be easy to make in a year

It did take them a full year to develop a bluetooth mouse so...:rolleyes: :p

hyperpasta
Sep 4, 2006, 11:27 AM
AppleInsider confirms 4 and 8 GB metal-clad, multi-colored iPod nanos. They had previously confirmed the 23" Merom iMac. Now we can assume both of those will happen. The question is: what will happen with the full-size iPod. My prediction: absolutely nothing.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2015

Chundles
Sep 4, 2006, 11:28 AM
Was the one more thing at the iPod event last October the TV shows?

If so, the one more thing this year could be the Movies.

I don't think there was a "One More Thing..." from what I remember there were three acts:

Act I - New iMac with iSight and Front Row/Photo Booth
Act II - iPod and iTunes, sales, nano's resounding (1 million in 17 days) sales.
Act III - iPod (with video), TV Shows in iTunes, iTunes 6.

HecubusPro
Sep 4, 2006, 11:32 AM
We're going to get a video nano... and then a month or two later a true video ipod.

It's the standard apple jive... realease one that we want and then another that we want more.

I will make a prediction right now that we'll never see a video nano. The screen is just too small. It might make an interesting curiosity, but not a viable product, IMO. The iPod video now is difficult enough. Of course, I'm rarely right on anything. :)

I'll stick with my 5G video iPod until a widescreen iteration of the product becomes available next year or so.

Chris Bangle
Sep 4, 2006, 11:43 AM
I soo want it to look like this,.

vendettabass
Sep 4, 2006, 11:48 AM
noo keep the black & white colours :-D, maybe introduce a red too (like the motorola slvr red!) Brushed aluminium rears too so we don't see much scratching!

Gareth

Chris Bangle
Sep 4, 2006, 11:51 AM
Yeh copying motorolas a good idea.:eek: This is apple not LG or another copycat, anyway red looks stupid. Mototrola's are crap

chuckles:)
Sep 4, 2006, 11:56 AM
after they took such a strong step away from the metal inclosures.. would they really switch back a year later?

HecubusPro
Sep 4, 2006, 12:05 PM

Check out this thread...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=229727
They're going wild postulating about it.:)

vendettabass
Sep 4, 2006, 12:06 PM
after they took such a strong step away from the metal inclosures.. would they really switch back a year later? good call

fitinferno
Sep 4, 2006, 12:10 PM
after they took such a strong step away from the metal inclosures.. would they really switch back a year later?

Yeah, but they have to do something about the rampant scratching and the ease with which one can break it. Fully metal one seems like a good way to do that.

twoodcc
Sep 4, 2006, 12:11 PM
man i can't wait until the 12th

pianodude123
Sep 4, 2006, 12:12 PM
Cant wait...I want MBPs though.

Chundles
Sep 4, 2006, 12:15 PM
man i can't wait until the 12th

So far I have yet to see an official confirmation from a reputable (read "not-rumour") web site.

The "confirmations" flying around all seem to be the rumour sites referencing each other.

Until I see iLounge or MacWorld get an invitation I won't be getting my hopes up for an secret-Apple-ninja-attack event.

Peace
Sep 4, 2006, 12:19 PM
So far I have yet to see an official confirmation from a reputable (read "not-rumour") web site.

The "confirmations" flying around all seem to be the rumour sites referencing each other.

Until I see iLounge or MacWorld get an invitation I won't be getting my hopes up for an secret-Apple-ninja-attack event.

Try to spread the word Chundles

I've been trying to point this out for 3 days now and nobody seem to want to read it.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/08/31/boot.camp.mac.gui/

In brief: Apple has confirmed plans to hold a special event on September 14, coinciding with rumors of an Apple movie store launch in that time period...

twoodcc
Sep 4, 2006, 12:34 PM

whether it's the 12th, 14th, tomorrow, 17th, whatever, i just can't wait unitl Apple does something

iJawn108
Sep 4, 2006, 12:38 PM
If the nano's are up to 8 gig and come in a pro-like metal i will be buying it. :p

i would kind of like a memron update for the macbooks but i just may wait till santa rosa(cringes, feels painful).

sam10685
Sep 4, 2006, 12:38 PM
i may be wrong (and don't flame me if i am,) but it seems like the 6G ipod should make its way to the shelves instead of an updated 5G. the 5G has been out for almost a year , hasn't it?

gugy
Sep 4, 2006, 12:52 PM
ThinkSecret has had an awful track record the past year or so. Some people here seem to be stuck in the good old days when they were actually a reliable source. Those days are gone. Their sources dried up.

Why would Apple announce their movie store when they don't have a decent video iPod to play them on? What has Apple been working on the past year? Larger capacities? The 5G iPods have not been updated in all this time and yet 80GB drives have been available all along. It just doesn't add up.

very true,
they were good before the lawsuit. Nowadays they just seem to go along all the other rumor sites and actually failing to get the rumors right.
I am sorry for them, I would say that lately they are very close to macosrumors.com in terms of reliability.:eek:

Dr.Gargoyle
Sep 4, 2006, 12:58 PM
i may be wrong (and don't flame me if i am,) but it seems like the 6G ipod should make its way to the shelves instead of an updated 5G. the 5G has been out for almost a year , hasn't it?
Bring on an iPhone/iPod instead. The iPhone is looong overdue.

HecubusPro
Sep 4, 2006, 12:59 PM
Cant wait...I want MBPs though.

Agreed. If after all this speculation and anticipation that a Core 2 Duo MBP will/should be coming out in the next couple of week, Apple then were to decide to make us macbook pro people wait even longer in the wake of new iMac, iPod, nano, etc. announcements, I would be supremely annoyed. Yet, through all my frustration I would simply have to toss my head back and laugh. Predicting what move Apple will make next is like hunting the ever elusive snipe.

Still, here's hoping for C2D MBP in the next couple of weeks. :)

whether it's the 12th, 14th, tomorrow, 17th, whatever, i just can't wait unitl Apple does something

Again, agreed. Who cares when an announcement happens, as long as it happens soon. So far, no one is right, at least not until it actually happens and someone is proven correct.

nemaslov
Sep 4, 2006, 01:05 PM
It has been a year an a half or more since the 60GB iPod was released and over a year since we've been hearing about an 80GB version. I know i am in the minority who wants a larger one. Me for music only but I assume you video people will need more memory eventually anyway. Hey how about a 100GB version! I never jumped to the iPod video since they never expanded it's memory...:rolleyes:

fitinferno
Sep 4, 2006, 01:11 PM
Again, agreed. Who cares when an announcement happens, as long as it happens soon. So far, no one is right, at least not until it actually happens and someone is proven correct.

Well...I'd care to see it more later today or tomorrow than in the next week and a half :P I can have my ordered placed sooner then :)

MattyMac
Sep 4, 2006, 01:20 PM
Sept 12: Supposed release date of new Nanos
Sept 16: End of "Buy a Mac, get a free Nano" promotion.

Either there is going to be a four day mac shopping spree or perhaps iPods aren't going to be the subject of the event.
It doesn't matter...the new nanos wouldn't qualify for the promotion.

Same thing happend last year...the nanos were released before the free iPod mini promo ended.

Sep 4, 2006, 01:23 PM
My predictions:

September 12th
New iPod nanos and iMacs, price drop on 5G iPods

October 23rd
New 6G Video iPods and Movie Service

MattyMac
Sep 4, 2006, 01:24 PM
haha...very nice...looks appleworth:D

HecubusPro
Sep 4, 2006, 01:24 PM
It doesn't matter...the new nanos wouldn't qualify for the promotion.

Same thing happend last year...the nanos were released before the free iPod mini promo ended.

But if they release the new nano's at the same price as the previous ones, I don't see a reason why they wouldn't include those same priced nano's in the promotion. If they're more expensive, they'll treat it as the other iPods in the promotion--you just have make up the rest of the cost.

jagolden
Sep 4, 2006, 01:27 PM

Man, I soooo do not.
I'd prefer the sizing of the Mini but thinner like the Nano. I find the width to height ratio of the nano too small and fragile looking.

Want better colors and saturation also. The weak colors look lousy. Can't they do something bolder or richer like the Razor phones or some of the other phone colors out in the market.

LaMerVipere
Sep 4, 2006, 01:37 PM
Bring on new iPod nanos made from anodized aluminum like the iPod mini! :D

newamiga
Sep 4, 2006, 01:57 PM
Guys.. and I know this is a stretch. Remember the big uproar Jason O'Grady started with his fake stories of LCD screens from Apple around the NAB timeframe if memory serves. I suspect it was a typical O'Grady tactic to drive eyes to his site.. however if you think about it.. the 23" iMac with improved Front Row and VESA mount, could serve as this type of thing on a smaller scale obviously. It will not compete with my Mac Mini via DVI to a 50" DLP.. that just rocks.:D

spriter
Sep 4, 2006, 02:14 PM
Come on Apple, an 80GB or higher (120!) capacity 5g ipod please with better battery life (more cache memory) please! Hopefully the Movie Store will push capacity to 80GB-100GB.

You can keep yer full-blown video iPod!

Plecky
Sep 4, 2006, 02:17 PM
Guys.. and I know this is a stretch. Remember the big uproar Jason O'Grady started with his fake stories of LCD screens from Apple around the NAB timeframe if memory serves. I suspect it was a typical O'Grady tactic to drive eyes to his site.. however if you think about it.. the 23" iMac with improved Front Row and VESA mount, could serve as this type of thing on a smaller scale obviously. It will not compete with my Mac Mini via DVI to a 50" DLP.. that just rocks.:D

Has anyone suggested that the 23" iMac could be that long awaited "30th Anniversary Mac." Unless of course they're waiting on releasing a mini-tower with Conroe and dub that the "Mac" making a return for their 30th anniversary year. One or the other, I wouldn't be suprise if they bring back some of that 30th anniversary year fanfare for the release of one of those two. A 23" iMac would definitely be claim worthy of the name, especially if they could squeeze a conroe in it and put it in cinema display aluminum enclosures. Oh well, just me dreaming I guess. Oh, and a sub-$2000 price point wouldn't hurt either! I do want to see conroe inside some mac before this time next year though...

BWhaler
Sep 4, 2006, 02:19 PM
What I need is a new MBP refresh with 160gig hard drive and no quality issues. A better GPU would be nice also.

But a new iPod nano sound great since my current one is scratched beyond recognition.

My wish list, which given it's been forever since Apple has updated the nano, shouldn't be too pie-in-the-sky:

1. 12 gigs

2. 20+ hour battery life

3. Scratch resistent

Peace
Sep 4, 2006, 02:22 PM
Has anyone suggested that the 23" iMac could be that long awaited "30th Anniversary Mac." Unless of course they're waiting on releasing a mini-tower with Conroe and dub that the "Mac" making a return for their 30th anniversary year. One or the other, I wouldn't be suprise if they bring back some of that 30th anniversary year fanfare for the release of one of those two. A 23" iMac would definitely be claim worthy of the name, especially if they could squeeze a conroe in it and put it in cinema display aluminum enclosures. Oh well, just me dreaming I guess. Oh, and a sub-$2000 price point wouldn't hurt either! I do want to see conroe inside some mac before this time next year though...

I've suggested a couple of times the 23" iMac might just be that 30th anniversary Mac.

Plecky
Sep 4, 2006, 02:23 PM
Or if they do make it some outrageous price above that for the 23" iMac, might as well throw in a blu-ray drive right? ;) But that's probably still a ways off seeing how much external drives cost currently, probably more a MacWorld '07 announcement.

Xenious
Sep 4, 2006, 02:24 PM
If it's just an upgrade for the 5G iPod, I m gonna be disappointed......at myself. I was holding off to replace my aging 3G iPod, and was gonna wait till 6G (full screen). But if it's just about a larger harddrive, i really could have bought the current one loooong time ago.

I'm waiting right there with you. My poor 3G ipod's battery doesn't last very long at all anymore, but I'm not buying a 5.1G ipod just so i can buy a full video ipod later next year. I will continue to wait.

BWhaler
Sep 4, 2006, 02:29 PM

Amen.

I'm ready to buy a new 17". My current laptop is under a year old, which normally would mean I could get another year of use out of it.

But the move to Intel is too epic of a performance jump, so I am going to upgrade out of cycle.

My needs/wants for the refreshed MBP:

1. 160gig drive

2. Better/modern GPU

3. Lower the power cord wattage so you can charge your MBP on international flights (a massive oversight by Apple.)

4. No heat, fan, build, uneven screen backlighting, etc., quality issues.

MacSA
Sep 4, 2006, 02:45 PM
What I need is a new MBP refresh with 160gig hard drive and no quality issues. A better GPU would be nice also.

But a new iPod nano sound great since my current one is scratched beyond recognition.

My wish list, which given it's been forever since Apple has updated the nano, shouldn't be too pie-in-the-sky:

1. 12 gigs

2. 20+ hour battery life

3. Scratch resistent

Battery life is the biggest issue with the iPod for me, Apple really need to work on it with the next updates.

evilgEEk
Sep 4, 2006, 02:50 PM
I love the idea of a movie section on the iTMS, but without a next gen iPod Video to go with it, I don't think it will do well. I say this because I just have a feeling Apple will offer the movies at current resolutions, which is awful for movies.

If they offer the movies at least at DVD quality with true surround, I'm on board.

But I still want an iPhone. ;)

Bengt77
Sep 4, 2006, 03:44 PM
How about a Memron Nano. It has a 3 second battery life, but during those three seconds it is one amazing MP3 player :p
Why is it that some people stubbornly keep calling it Memron, when it's obviously Merom?

HecubusPro
Sep 4, 2006, 03:48 PM
Yeah, but they have to do something about the rampant scratching and the ease with which one can break it. Fully metal one seems like a good way to do that.

Exactly. The uproar from consumers concerning their scratched iPod video's and nano's last year was pretty loud. Just about everyone who had a new iPod video or nano commented on how easily it scratched or scuffed. Especially considering an iPod video should have a crystal clear image free from scratches, you can bet apple has heard and understands that as well. Whether we'll see metal enclosures, who knows? Though it's looking more likely, at least from the consistency of the rumors (ahem.) Regardless, I think it's safe to say the new iteration of the iPod video especially will see scratch resistance improvements.

Scratching the screen of a standard MP3 playing iPod didn't really matter all that much. You didn't really look at the screen anyway (unless it was a photo iPod.) We do care if it's an iPod that we watch video's, TV shows, and movies on. I hope the next iPod video device I buy has some better safegaurds against scratching and scuffing, because I don't like any of the 3rd party solutions.

Why is it that some people stubbornly keep calling it Memron, when it's obviously Merom?

Maybe it's a just a simple mistake?

dongmin
Sep 4, 2006, 04:05 PM
Don't know if this deserves its own thread but Appleinsider has some juicy bits in its latest rumors. The upshot is that the new movie service will be high enough quality to be viewed in the living room (which I assume to be at least DVD quality). Be warned: most of it smacks of fanboy speculation.

For some time now, published reports have insinuated that Apple and Jobs would be unwilling to launch a movie download service without a wide, touch-screen video iPod player to coincide. But as he reclines with his feet perched on the sprawling Apple boardroom conference table, Jobs is likely enjoying a chuckle or two -- he's been planning something bigger, something better, something everyone will want.

Just as he asserted that consumers are more eager to own their music tracks for 99 cents a piece rather than rent them on a monthly basis, he realizes that few are willing to plunk down ten bucks for a two-hour movie that they'll have to watch with their neck cranked towards a miniature screen resting in the palm of their hand. As someone at the forefront of the motion picture industry, he knows films are designed for the big screen and later adapted for the home living-room theater.

For these reasons, Jobs many months ago commissioned an elite group of Apple engineers to get the ball rolling on an intuitive hardware solution that would more closely tie the company's digital media strategy to the living-room. And so AppleInsider has been told, Apple has been quietly developing a video streaming device that will interface with an updated version of its iTunes jukebox software.

It's arguably been one of the most closely guarded secrets at Apple since the evolution of the first iPod digital music player, which forever altered the landscape of the music industry when it was introduced in October of 2001. Only a select bunch inside Cupertino have heard of the latest device and even fewer have seen it. Therefore, further details are few and far between.

Insiders can only presume the device will take up the form of a video-enabled version of Apple's existing AirPort Express wireless base station, which lets users stream their iTunes music tracks from their computers to their home stereo receivers. It also acts as a wireless 802.11 router and printing hub.

bketchum
Sep 4, 2006, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ted13

I agree with you on the DVD quality. But could imagine how long it would take to downlaod a 1080p film? Days! The hard drive space would be another thing, it would be about 10 or 11 gigs for one film! At least. This is not going to be possible for at least 3 or 4 years I would say.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Just as a test (not very scientific)... I went to the Apple Quicktime site and downloaded "The Queen" HD movie trailer at 1080P. Using an iBook connected to Airport Extreme wifi that's connected to an advertised 5-Mbps internet cable service, it took me about 5 minutes to download the 2-minute, 150-MB trailer. A little math tells me that a two-hour movie will take me about 300 minutes (5 hours) to download, and the size of the file will be about 9000 Mb in size.

To me that's not outrageous. However, it does mean planning ahead. I won't be able to start watching the movie five minutes after I've started downloading it. The real-time viewing will catch up to the download. I would need to give it about a four-hour head start.

No matter, my 1.33-GHz iBook isn't powerful enough to play 1080P HD movies without dropping frames and sound every few seconds. I think there are a lot of people in the same position as me. I cannot believe that Apple will offer just one level of movie quality. Just like what Apple currently offers on its movie trailer site, I'm guessing you'll be able to rent or buy 480P, 720P, or 1080P quality movies.

It took me just 50 seconds to download the same two-minute-long trailer at 480P quality. The size of the file is about 30 Mb. That means it will take me about 50 minutes to download the whole 1800 MB movie. At that rate, I can start watching the movie right away. My internet connection provides a download rate that is twice as fast as the movie viewing rate. That is exactly what I want. On impulse, I can be watching any movie I want within a few seconds. At full screen on my iBook, the 480P movie looks like I'm watching a rented DVD movie. The best part: No trips to incredibly annoying video stores.

I'm guessing the time it takes to download a 720P movie, and its file size, will fall somewhere halfway between the 480P and the 1080P movie.

chuckles:)
Sep 4, 2006, 04:19 PM
Has anyone considered that apple might not be realeasing the wide screen super secret video ipod because it dosn't exist?

lets all think for a second...

1) touch screens are weak, soft, and matte, not iPod at all
2) they get printy and scratched very easily
3) they would go through oodles of batter power
4) Apple would not make the thing bigger just to hold the extra battery
5) battery life would STINK
6) touch screen starts to complicate the interface, goes against apple's easy as pie rule
7) the thing would have to cost a fortune

please dont kill me, but does anyone have proof, or is it just a dream of perfection?

p.s. does anyone know if they will webcast the event?

berkleeboy210
Sep 4, 2006, 04:26 PM

probably not live, usually a few hours after it'll be posted on apple.com for viewing.

conradzoo
Sep 4, 2006, 04:29 PM
These are interesting times... for you in the US.

So all i want is an Nano update. At least the music is (kinda) international.:o

ChickenSwartz
Sep 4, 2006, 04:47 PM

I think Apple has really reached a fork in the road when it comes to the iPod.

Do they really want to start selling these things as vidoe players, not just music players that play video? If so, everyone knows they need a bigger screen and that is going to run up the price of the iPod.

So they have a choice:
(1) Introduce a true video iPod and ask more for it.
(2) Drop in bigger HDs into the current line.

The introduction of movie rentals might be a testing ground to see if people are really buying the idea. So if the iVideo Store (?) does well, this might indicate that people really want true, big scree video iPods. If it does so-so that might tell Apple that they should just keep the iPod primarilly a music player and the vidoe playback be an extra feature.

If they do introduce a more expensive, full screen iPod, they need a cheap[er], higher capacity only-music player too. This is where the Nano comes in. They need to be sure they have a good, well built, atractive line of Nanos for their customers that do not want to take the plunge to the video side.

The introduction of a new Nano and a video store but not a 6G iPod might indicate that they are stilling trying to decide which direction to take the 6G. I would say that if they do introduce the video store and a new Nano on the 12th a new iPod will be out before Christmas (no later that Thanksgiving, late November).

All this is based on the assumption that a true video iPod would cost more than the current line. I make this assumption based on the fact that they need bigger hard drives, bigger screens, and better battery. All these improvements are bound to increase the price.

Haarball
Sep 4, 2006, 05:08 PM
I ordered a 30GB iPod and the standard white 1,83Ghz Macbook on September 2nd, and it said it was due to ship out on the 13th. I therefore thought that they'd upgrade the iPod (more likely than the MB) before sending it to me, but I just got an e-mail saying it shipped today.

Bit bummed that I didn't get the upgrade (well, I can only presume), but at the same time stoked to get my Macbook and iPod more than a week earlier than I first thought!

Just FYI.

HecubusPro
Sep 4, 2006, 05:11 PM
Has anyone considered that apple might not be realeasing the wide screen super secret video ipod because it dosn't exist?

It might not exist, and then again, it just might exist. Who on these forums knows? Maybe Steve will join and tell us if it exists or not.

gradydds
Sep 4, 2006, 05:12 PM
Who the hell wants to watch movie on an iPod. You can't even watch 2 hours of video on the current iPod...think...the battery like will be even WORSE with a larger screen?!?!?:eek:

I want a merom macbook pro...right now!!!!:mad: I might buy a freeken dell if i have to wait any longer...and I hate windows... I am hoping they will update it on the website tomorrow...tues. sept. 5th....not likely though since they will need a new logic boards because they soldered the core duo chips in...how stupid. Hopefully they will make some other updates since they have to re-do stuff anyway.

Who cares about a new nano also...the current one is fine

HecubusPro
Sep 4, 2006, 05:12 PM
I ordered a 30GB iPod and the standard white 1,83Ghz Macbook on September 2nd, and it said it was due to ship out on the 13th. I therefore thought that they'd upgrade the iPod (more likely than the MB) before sending it to me, but I just got an e-mail saying it shipped today.

Bit bummed that I didn't get the upgrade (well, I can only presume), but at the same time stoked to get my Macbook and iPod more than a week earlier than I first thought!

Just FYI.

It has been reported, and confirmed by apple, the macbook delays have been due to the back-to-school rush, which happens every year. They've been conservative about ship dates during this time.

fener
Sep 4, 2006, 05:14 PM

6) touch screen starts to complicate the interface, goes against apple's easy as pie rule

please dont kill me, but does anyone have proof, or is it just a dream of perfection?

hmmm

1) No
2) No
3) No, see pda phones, which go for 2-3 days. iPod, with a harddisk, could go for 5+ hours.
4)Yep, right.
5) No, it would not.
6) No, touch screen has nothing to do with the UI
7) No again, touch screens are not too expensive. Just see the current touch screen devices on the market today

It is more than possible that Apple would release a touch screen device. Hmm, Apple once even had one =), called Newton.

Philberttheduck
Sep 4, 2006, 05:17 PM
I don't believe this movie thing will be of great resolution. Chances are it'll be no worse than 480p. I mean, the TV shows iTunes sells aren't even HD (this is why I use an alternative source) and there's a huge difference between the HD version I get and iTunes'. I hope for the 10+ bucks they're charging us, the resolution gets to be 720p; 1080p would be ridiculous (bad or good).

iPod nano is good but I would like for the full-screen iPod. I got my eyes set on the Meizu M6 Miniplayer. I'm just hoping they update the Meizu to 8GB, etc (chances are unlikely considering it's not even sold to North America) because that price and sturdiness (couple that with the beautiful 2.4inch screen) and you got a competitive Nano-Killer.

No-TOUCH iPOD THIS TUESDAY POR FAVOR!

TheKrillr
Sep 4, 2006, 05:21 PM

Just FYI.

Interesting. I ordered a custom black macbook last tuesday, along with a 30GB personalized ipod... got the ipod on thursday, and my macbook isn't due to arrive til the 13th. I wonder if mine shipped today too. Update:Nope, still hasn't shipped. Darn me for custom ordering it... ;-)

I too was hoping to get an upgraded iPod, but hey, no worries. My first iPod and I'm lovin it. Be nice if my MacBook comes with a Core 2 though >.> (wishful thinking)

Ace25
Sep 4, 2006, 05:48 PM
It's a shame that these $65.00 chinese 1GB MP4 players with the Samsung chip have MP3 playback - Video - FM Radio - eBook Reader - Photo Viewer - Voice & FM Recorder, yet the Nano at three times the price does not!

Not sure about you, but I like Apple for its industrial design and simplicity, not feature bloat.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Sep 4, 2006, 05:49 PM
Not sure about you, but I like Apple for its industrial design and simplicity, not feature bloat.

Not to mention software....(iTunes seamless connectivity :))

DavidLeblond
Sep 4, 2006, 05:51 PM

You're SO right about 1-5 and 7. I mean if touch screens were hard, shiny, battery efficient, and inexpensive then I'm sure game makers like Nintendo would have used them in handheld game systems like two years ago! And they would have priced it at like $150. But we know THAT will never happen. :rolleyes:

Oh, wait... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_ds)

HecubusPro
Sep 4, 2006, 06:02 PM
Who the hell wants to watch movie on an iPod. You can't even watch 2 hours of video on the current iPod...think...the battery like will be even WORSE with a larger screen?!?!?:eek:

I want to watch a movie on an iPod. I have a video iPod that I use frequently and enjoy very much. I even watch movies on it. There are many, many people for varying reasons who want to and do watch movies on their iPod.

I want a merom macbook pro...right now!!!!:mad: I might buy a freeken dell if i have to wait any longer...and I hate windows... I am hoping they will update it on the website tomorrow...tues. sept. 5th....not likely though since they will need a new logic boards because they soldered the core duo chips in...how stupid. Hopefully they will make some other updates since they have to re-do stuff anyway.

I also want a new C2D MBP. I can't wait to get one, and as soon as they're available, I'm there. But please, for the love of god and all things holy, if you don't have the patience to wait a while longer, go buy a Dell and relieve us of your tantrums.

Haarball
Sep 4, 2006, 06:08 PM
Update:Nope, still hasn't shipped. Darn me for custom ordering it... ;-)

Yeah, I first put an 80GB HD instead of the standard 60, and it wasn't due to ship until the end of the month. I completely forgot that customizing it would pust it way back. I immediately called Apple to cancel it. They said I was in luck as there usually weren't any people in to cancel orders at that time, but one guy happened to be in. Within a few minutes it was cancelled and I re-ordered it without customizing the Macbook nor iPod (engraving).

That phone call probably made sure my goods will arrive 2 weeks earlier than originally. Phew.

I too was hoping to get an upgraded iPod, but hey, no worries. My first iPod and I'm lovin it. Be nice if my MacBook comes with a Core 2 though >.> (wishful thinking)

If they upgrade the MBs substantially I will chew my bloody leg off. Don't get me wrong: while immensily enjoying my Core Duo Macbook. But still...

gradydds
Sep 4, 2006, 06:09 PM
Seriously, i could care less about the wait...my computer works fine. I am currently using an Apple IIc...it kicks ass. I had to update it a bit to be able to use the internet though. Do you think i would be better to wait for the Santa Rosa platform to get a MBP? or just get the merom on the current.....and please don't say "if you keep waiting, there will always be something new around the corner and you will wait forever."

aswitcher
Sep 4, 2006, 06:13 PM

Whilst I agree I am more hopeful given the density and consistency of the rumours. But we have been let down before, so tonight and a week from now will have me glued to the Mac in anticipation.

Brett McD
Sep 4, 2006, 06:25 PM
If you try going to:

www.apple.com/movies

it gives you a page that says:

403 Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /movies on this server.

Does this mean anything?

AvSRoCkCO1067
Sep 4, 2006, 06:27 PM
If you try going to:

www.apple.com/movies

it gives you a page that says:

403 Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /movies on this server.

Does this mean anything?

Nope; been there for years.

ezekielrage_99
Sep 4, 2006, 07:07 PM

Logic has no place on the internet ;)

But seriously that is a good post, it's similar to points others have brought up during the last few months.

ezekielrage_99
Sep 4, 2006, 07:14 PM
Seriously, i could care less about the wait...my computer works fine. I am currently using an Apple IIc...it kicks ass. I had to update it a bit to be able to use the internet though. Do you think i would be better to wait for the Santa Rosa platform to get a MBP? or just get the merom on the current.....and please don't say "if you keep waiting, there will always be something new around the corner and you will wait forever."

I still have an Apple IIe somewhere is my house those computers seriously were cool when they were released how many years ago.

And you a right about putting off until the next update, I think most users forget about the "what do I really need?" question and concerntrate on the latest and greatest "next tuesday" release. I'm still using my G4 Mac Mini, it does everything I need but it doesn't have a Merom, Santa Rosa, etc and I am one happy Mac user.

mward333
Sep 4, 2006, 07:46 PM
Would the new iMac 23 inch qualify for the back to school promotion?
What about an 8 GB nano?

Of course, the promotion is very specific about models on Macs and iPods:
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/bts/bts_faq.html

Unless Apple makes a special exception, my guess is that neither model would qualify. The promotion rules specifically state 17 or 20 inch iMac, and 1, 2, or 4 GB nano. Check the FAQ about the promotion.

Any tips about this? Maybe I'll check with Apple directly by telephone, if a new iMac and new nano are actually introduced next week.

Analog Kid
Sep 4, 2006, 09:35 PM
Interesting... I've been assuming the video store has been holding up the video iPod, but that doesn't appear to be the case...

Zwhaler
Sep 4, 2006, 09:37 PM

Strange, because everyone said that Apple would release the MB and MBPs on the 12th, but not all of a sudden it shifted to the iMac :confused:

aswitcher
Sep 4, 2006, 10:34 PM
Strange, because everyone said that Apple would release the MB and MBPs on the 12th, but not all of a sudden it shifted to the iMac :confused:

iMacs are overdue. Sure if they can put the C2D in the MBPs great, but the iMacs got the G5 when the PBs only had the G4, so moving to a C2D should not be held back now its out.

psychspirit
Sep 4, 2006, 10:55 PM
nooo. im not gonna have enough money for another ipod.
dam it. oh wells. ill give myself a month to save up. . .

other than that. ill enjoy some tea that i make

Same here.:o

Plecky
Sep 4, 2006, 11:07 PM
I think Apple has really reached a fork in the road when it comes to the iPod.

Do they really want to start selling these things as vidoe players, not just music players that play video? If so, everyone knows they need a bigger screen and that is going to run up the price of the iPod.

So they have a choice:
(1) Introduce a true video iPod and ask more for it.
(2) Drop in bigger HDs into the current line.

The introduction of movie rentals might be a testing ground to see if people are really buying the idea. So if the iVideo Store (?) does well, this might indicate that people really want true, big scree video iPods. If it does so-so that might tell Apple that they should just keep the iPod primarilly a music player and the vidoe playback be an extra feature.

If they do introduce a more expensive, full screen iPod, they need a cheap[er], higher capacity only-music player too. This is where the Nano comes in. They need to be sure they have a good, well built, atractive line of Nanos for their customers that do not want to take the plunge to the video side.

The introduction of a new Nano and a video store but not a 6G iPod might indicate that they are stilling trying to decide which direction to take the 6G. I would say that if they do introduce the video store and a new Nano on the 12th a new iPod will be out before Christmas (no later that Thanksgiving, late November).

All this is based on the assumption that a true video iPod would cost more than the current line. I make this assumption based on the fact that they need bigger hard drives, bigger screens, and better battery. All these improvements are bound to increase the price.

I believe they'll just up the storage this time around. Then maybe in another year (or whenver most reasonable) they'll release a TRUE iPod video, and as for battery life - by this point would it be unreasonable to have a 16-32 GB flash-based iPod's? Sure that might be stepping on the nano's ground, but it would increase battery life and I'm sure they could offer a thicker HDD based model with 120 GB or something outrageous for those who need/want the storage, even if it means having a twice as thick iPod or something... I've read that it's possible that flash will drop to prices that a 32 GB iPod in a year isn't too unbelievable. Seeing that the Nano should double from 4-8 Gig's year over year, I would imagine another double 8-16 isn't too farfetched, and 32 a possibility at a higher price point.

Then again maybe increasing the ram or whatever chip that gives the 60 gig 5G iPod better battery life then the 30 gig may be enough in and of itself. But I have no idea... Just some thoughts though, rumor on friends.

ezekielrage_99
Sep 4, 2006, 11:23 PM

I'm surprised we haven't started with those "New PowerBook Next Tuesday" rumors, they were fun.

door4
Sep 4, 2006, 11:51 PM
I have been wanting to move from Windows to an Imac, but I was looking to join up with Apple finally moving to more competitive machines in terms of speed. With the Merom being Apple's choice instead of the more upgradeable Conroe I am wondering what we will all be thinking 6 or 8 months from now when Windows will be running on potentially 4 core machines while we are all stuck with 2 and no headroom. Probably not a concern for current Mac devotees that see the OS as plenty of reason to stick with Apple, but in my mind, instead of the first generation of "faster" Macs we may be buying into just another generation of Macs that run significantly behind the power curve.
I am not buying until I see what Apple does in January at Macworld. Remember the new G5 in October that was replaced by a Dual Core in January?

typecase
Sep 4, 2006, 11:52 PM
The thing that's frustrated me with Apple is the long wait for even minor product updates. The Merom update across the line should be a no brainer especially since the chip is more efficient and is easy to implement. Almost every other manufacturer announced Merom laptops already. Knowing Apple though, they'll just drag it out without mercy and only do the Merom updates in January for Macworld. In the meantime, we'll all be wondering if perhaps next week would be the right time to buy a new notebook because of some hot new rumor. Very frustrating. Now that Apple has switched to Intel, why not do chip updates without the fanfare that accompanied the minor PowerPC updates? :rolleyes:

MacinDoc
Sep 5, 2006, 12:04 AM
The thing that's frustrated me with Apple is the long wait for even minor product updates. The Merom update across the line should be a no brainer especially since the chip is more efficient and is easy to implement. Almost every other manufacturer announced Merom laptops already. Knowing Apple though, they'll just drag it out without mercy and only do the Merom updates in January for Macworld. In the meantime, we'll all be wondering if perhaps next week would be the right time to buy a new notebook because of some hot new rumor. Very frustrating. Now that Apple has switched to Intel, why not do chip updates without the fanfare that accompanied the minor PowerPC updates? :rolleyes:
What long wait? Merom was just introduced last week, and nobody is shipping computers with Merom yet. Apple is moving away from just doing product refreshes at MWSF. In order to maximize media exposure, Apple has recently been upgrading a few products at a time (usually 2-3), but avoids introducing something on the same day as another manufacturer.

Apple will introduce Merom-based products this month, you can count on it.

After all, when was the last time AppleInsider and ThinkSecret agreed on anything? ;)

ezekielrage_99
Sep 5, 2006, 12:48 AM
I have been wanting to move from Windows to an Imac, but I was looking to join up with Apple finally moving to more competitive machines in terms of speed. With the Merom being Apple's choice instead of the more upgradeable Conroe I am wondering what we will all be thinking 6 or 8 months from now when Windows will be running on potentially 4 core machines while we are all stuck with 2 and no headroom. Probably not a concern for current Mac devotees that see the OS as plenty of reason to stick with Apple, but in my mind, instead of the first generation of "faster" Macs we may be buying into just another generation of Macs that run significantly behind the power curve.
I am not buying until I see what Apple does in January at Macworld. Remember the new G5 in October that was replaced by a Dual Core in January?

I'm personally slanted towards Apple picking the Conroe because of the overall price, cheaper CPU and cheaper Chipset but then again it's kind of hard to second guess what Apple is doing....

If you need a new computer now I can't really see the point in holing off unitl Macworld because by the time the release comes around and shipping you are looking at the first or second week of Feb 07 before you are going to get anything.

Well that's my USD$0.02

door4
Sep 5, 2006, 01:11 AM
[QUOTE=HecubusPro]I want to watch a movie on an iPod. I have a video iPod that I use frequently and enjoy very much. I even watch movies on it. There are many, many people for varying reasons who want to and do watch movies on their iPod.

Ditto. I watch movies on my 5G when traveling, I may have to use a power adapter , but the result is not bad. Half of enjoying a movie is great sound and the Ipod gets it done. I would like a bigger screen on the next version, but I would much rather see a battery that can handle 6 hours of video without a recharge.

Sep 5, 2006, 06:26 AM
For those looking for facts...do we know what that is already? :rolleyes:

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=661453&native_or_pdf=pdf

oober_freak
Sep 5, 2006, 06:44 AM

B.C. :eek:

jagolden
Sep 5, 2006, 07:11 AM

I have to disagree with 1, 2 and 6.
The screen on my palm (2 years old) is bright, clear and saturated. Gloss finish. Has no scratches yet I "write" on it and DO NOT use a screen protector or a case for it.

As to the interface, we've seen suggestions in the forums here that when touched, the interface that appears could look and act just like the current controls on the iPods.

dalvin200
Sep 5, 2006, 07:17 AM
Did I miss something or are we still speculating about the so called "event" which some podcast mistakenly thought was an official invite to an Apple Press event in CA?

So far, no-one has been officially been invoted have they? It's just hearsay.

Anyone got a link to anything "official" about this?

Unless Apple does a silent update on 12th, then I think we're all gonna get mightily disappointed.

I could be wrong however :cool:

kirk26
Sep 5, 2006, 08:34 AM

They already came out.

HecubusPro
Sep 5, 2006, 09:10 AM
They already came out.

Perhaps he meant the C2D MBP's?

Store's back up. Doesn't look like there was an update to anything. Odd.

roland.g
Sep 5, 2006, 09:17 AM
Guys,
Remember it's an Apple Media Event. It just means that Steve is going to intro the iPod Hi-Fi in all Black and tell us it sounds even better than before.

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 09:24 AM
Guys,
Remember it's an Apple Media Event. It just means that Steve is going to intro the iPod Hi-Fi in all Black and tell us it sounds even better than before.

Man I'm so sick of this crap..

WHAT media event ??

Anybody got a link to an ACTUAL invitation?

no.

mjstaceyuofm
Sep 5, 2006, 11:04 AM
AI is reporting that there is indeed an invitation that just came out for an event tuesday, sep. 12 at 10 am local time.....

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 11:07 AM
Sorry for the cross-post

It's Showtime

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/images/apple_showtime.jpg

Members of the media received email invitations this morning for a special event on Sept. 12 at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater in San Francisco

Chris Bangle
Sep 5, 2006, 11:10 AM
Man I'm so sick of this crap..

WHAT media event ??

Anybody got a link to an ACTUAL invitation?

no.

:p

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 11:11 AM
:p

Well in this case I'm glad I was wrong :D

chillywilly
Sep 5, 2006, 11:20 AM
I say iTunes Movie Store and new iPod nanos. Possibly a rev of the iMacs, since they were the first ones to go Intel.

I really don't see a new iPod with video, but I could be wrong... i was last year when the 5G came out.

AppleIntelRock
Sep 5, 2006, 11:21 AM
I say iTunes Movie Store and new iPod nanos. Possibly a rev of the iMacs, since they were the first ones to go Intel.

I really don't see a new iPod with video, but I could be wrong... i was last year when the 5G came out.

Steve is holding a special media event, I think we'll see some exciting music based stuff.

HecubusPro
Sep 5, 2006, 01:14 PM

And hopefully updated MBP's with C2D.

macman2790
Sep 5, 2006, 01:27 PM
for some reason i just doubt that. Maybe it's just because i've been waiting for them to update it the past few weeks and nothing's happened

chillywilly
Sep 5, 2006, 03:46 PM
I really don't see any MB or MBP updates. Again, I could be off, but I don't see those until later this year.

I'm sure the C2D chips coming out on all sorts of Windows laptops may be putting some pressure on Apple to update their laptop line, but I think it's still too soon.

BenRoethig
Sep 5, 2006, 03:51 PM
I really don't see any MB or MBP updates. Again, I could be off, but I don't see those until later this year.

I'm sure the C2D chips coming out on all sorts of Windows laptops may be putting some pressure on Apple to update their laptop line, but I think it's still too soon.

It might be too soon for you, but Apple will lose sales if they stick with yonah.

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 03:55 PM

It's not too soon at all, at least for the MB pro. I doubt we'll see an announcement at THIS event, but I expect we'll see at least a MBP update in the next couple weeks. I'd guess no event, just a press release. Minis and iMacs should also get updated in the next few weeks, probably also a press release for each.

naco
Sep 5, 2006, 08:04 PM
And hopefully updated MBP's with C2D.

"hopefully"! im about ready to gouge my freaking eyes out from waiting.:mad: First it was wait for WWDC, then the next Tuesday, then the next, then the next...it just goes on forever! Not to mention all the stuff that is said on here. :eek: yes, i said it. this place is a place for Mac maniacs go to bonkers with rumor this and rumor that. And quite frankly...i love it!:p

milo
Sep 6, 2006, 07:28 AM
"hopefully"! im about ready to gouge my freaking eyes out from waiting.:mad: First it was wait for WWDC, then the next Tuesday, then the next, then the next...it just goes on forever! Not to mention all the stuff that is said on here. :eek: yes, i said it. this place is a place for Mac maniacs go to bonkers with rumor this and rumor that. And quite frankly...i love it!:p

None of those early "predictions" were from reliable sources, they were just people making a wish. PC laptops with merom are just starting to ship now, so the earliest they would come out would be next week. I think it will be a little after that. Also, the ipod promo ends the 16th, so it may be right after that.

zeppiecr
Sep 6, 2006, 07:32 AM
Pricing Now Starts at Just $999; New 24-inch Model Added

CUPERTINO, Calif., Sept. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple(R) today
announced that its entire iMac(R) line now features the new Intel Core 2 Duo
processor in every model, delivering up to 50 percent faster performance than
the previous iMac.* A new 24-inch iMac with a brilliant 24-inch widescreen
display joins the 17- and 20-inch models, and iMac prices now start at just
$999. Every new iMac includes a built-in iSight(TM) video camera for video
conferencing out-of-the-box; Apple's breakthrough Front Row media experience;
and iLife(R) '06, the next generation of Apple's award-winning suite of
digital lifestyle applications.

"Every iMac-from the $999 model up through the new dazzling 24-inch
widescreen model now features blazing Core 2 Duo performance," said Philip
Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "And
the new 24-inch widescreen iMac is the fastest, biggest and brightest iMac
we've ever made."

The new iMac lineup includes four models: a 1.83 GHz and a 2.0 GHz
17-inch, a 2.16 GHz 20-inch and the all-new 2.16 GHz 24-inch iMac, and
features the new Intel Core 2 Duo processor which delivers up to 50 percent
faster performance than the previous 20-inch iMac running industry standard
benchmarks.

Ideal for both consumers and professionals, the 24-inch iMac features a
24-inch widescreen LCD display with a 1920-by-1200 pixel resolution that
offers 30 percent more screen real estate than the 20-inch model and a
brighter display to make reading text and viewing images even easier. The
all-new 24-inch iMac packs professional performance into the convenience of an
all-in-one design and includes a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 4MB
of shared L2 cache, 1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory, a 250GB Serial ATA hard
drive, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 128MB of GDDR3 memory and a
SuperDrive(TM) for burning professional-quality DVDs. Delivering greater
customization for performance and expansion needs, users can configure the new
24-inch iMac with a 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, up to 3GB of 667 MHz
DDR2 SDRAM memory, a 500GB Serial ATA hard drive and the NVIDIA GeForce 7600
GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory for outstanding graphics performance.

Every iMac includes a built-in iSight video camera for video conferencing
out-of-the-box using Apple's award-winning iChat AV, or recording a video
podcast or iMovie(R) using iLife '06, and the breakthrough media experience of
Front Row for a simple, intuitive and powerful way for consumers to enjoy
their content. Providing the latest in high-performance connectivity options,
the iMac includes built-in 10/100/1000 BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet for high-speed
networking, built-in AirPort Extreme(R), a total of five USB ports (three USB
2.0) and two FireWire(R) ports (including one FireWire 800 port on the 24-inch
model).

Every iMac also comes with iLife '06, the next generation of Apple's
award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications featuring iPhoto(R),
iMovie HD, iDVD(R), GarageBand(TM) and iWeb(TM), the latest iLife application
that makes it super-easy to create amazing websites with photos, blogs and
podcasts and publish them on .Mac for viewing by anyone on the Internet with
just a single click. Every iMac also comes with the latest release of the
world's most advanced operating system, Mac(R) OS X version 10.4.7 "Tiger"
including Safari(TM), Mail, iCal(R), iChat AV, Front Row and Photo Booth,
running natively on the Intel-based desktop.

zeppiecr
Sep 6, 2006, 07:36 AM
Pricing & Availability

The new iMac line is shipping today and will be available through the
Apple Store(R) (www.apple.com ), Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized
Resellers. Apple today also increased processor speeds on both models of the
Mac mini, delivering dual-core performance across the line at no additional
cost. The $799 model now includes a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, up from
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, and the $599 model now includes a 1.66 GHz
Intel Core Duo processor, up from a 1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo processor.

The new 24-inch 2.16 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,999
(US), includes:

-24-inch widescreen LCD display;
-2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor;
-1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 3GB;
-8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW);
-PCI Express-based NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT with 128MB GDDR3 memory;
-built-in iSight video camera;
-built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;
-250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;
-mini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold
separately);
-built-in stereo speakers and microphone; and
-the infrared Apple Remote, Mighty Mouse and Apple Keyboard.

The new 20-inch 2.16 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,499
(US), includes:

-20-inch widescreen LCD display;
-2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor;
-PCI Express-based ATI Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory;
-250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;
separately);

The new 17-inch 2.0 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,199 (US),
includes:

-17-inch widescreen LCD display;
-2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor;
-PCI Express-based ATI Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory;
-160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;
separately);

The 17-inch 1.83 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $999 (US),
includes:

-17-inch widescreen LCD display;
-1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor;
-512MB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 2GB;
-24x Combo drive;
-Intel GMA 950 graphics;
-built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking;
-160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;
separately);
-Mighty Mouse and Apple Keyboard.

Build-to-order options and accessories include: a 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2
Duo processor, up to 3GB DDR2 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT with 256MB GDDR3
video memory and a 500GB Serial ATA hard drive on the 24-inch iMac; a 2.33 GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo processor, up to 3GB DDR2 SDRAM, 256MB GGDR3 video memory and
a 500GB Serial ATA hard drive on the 20-inch iMac; a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
processor, up to 3GB DDR2 SRDAM and a 500GB Serial ATA hard drive on the 2.0
GHz 17-inch iMac; and up to 2GB of DDR2 SDRAM, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and Apple
Remote on the 1.83 GHz 17-inch iMac. Additional build-to-order options also
include: pre-installed copies of iWork(TM) 06, Logic(R) Express, Final Cut(R)
Express and Aperture(TM); AirPort Express(TM) and AirPort Extreme Base
Station; Apple Wireless Keyboard and wireless Mighty Mouse; Apple USB Modem;
and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

*Based on estimated results of industry-standard SPECint and SPECfp rate
tests. SPEC is a registered trademark of Standard Performance Evaluation
Corporation (SPEC); see http://www.apple.com/iMac for more information.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple
II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh.
Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its
award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife
and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music
revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.

NOTE: Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS, Macintosh, iMac, iSight, iLife,
SuperDrive, iMovie, Airport Extreme, FireWire, iPhoto, iDVD, GarageBand, iWeb,
Safari, iCal, Apple Store, iWork, Logic, Final Cut, Aperture and AirPort
Express are trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be
trademarks of their respective owners.

SOURCE Apple Computer, Inc.

Manic Mouse
Sep 6, 2006, 07:41 AM
Merom. Boo.

Well I won't be getting one of these iMacs. Merom and rubbish graphics cards. Great.

Where's my tower, Apple!?

sixth
Sep 6, 2006, 07:50 AM
WOW! a slient upgrade to the C2D....no big annoucements...thats amazing! good to see too! that means the macbook pro should be next with out any big issues....cant wait should be soon !!!!

Leesure
Sep 6, 2006, 07:56 AM
All the Mini's are Core Duo now. 1.66 & 1.83.

jesteraver
Sep 7, 2006, 06:44 AM
I like when Apple doesn't announce something, i like surprises.

One thing will Apple ever make a larger LCD display, or they will stay with the 30" for a while.

Seeing the iMac 24", instead of 23". Seems like Apple upto something.

BenRoethig
Sep 7, 2006, 07:06 AM
I like when Apple doesn't announce something, i like surprises.

One thing will Apple ever make a larger LCD display, or they will stay with the 30" for a while.

Seeing the iMac 24", instead of 23". Seems like Apple upto something.

Hopefully that something invovles isight/front row displays that are more reasonable in price.

AppleIntelRock
Sep 7, 2006, 09:05 AM
Hopefully that something invovles isight/front row displays that are more reasonable in price.

Agreed. Dream prices:

20"= $450
24"=$600
30"=$1000

They could always fill the $2k dispay spot with a 50", HDTV Capable display that supported 20 million pixles :D

jesteraver
Sep 7, 2006, 09:23 AM
Agreed. Dream prices:

20"= $450
24"=$600
30"=$1000

They could always fill the $2k dispay spot with a 50", HDTV Capable display that supported 20 million pixles :D

Would be nice to see those prices, but not in the next 3 years lol.

Would be interesting to see able phase out the 20" LCD, just have 24", 30", and a 41 or 42" LCD. All would be HD. True it be nice with the iSight, but arent they working on a new one anyways?

Also when are we going to see Blu-ray in Mac's? Hopefully sometime in 2007.

I have a feeling Apple going to phase out the 17" iMac. So it might give us room for a 30" iMac, anything possible. Thing is if Apple updates the Mac Mini too much, it be the similar to the iMac and pretty much the same price. Would be interesting to have a larger HD, better graphics chip in the Mac Mini. I still like the iMac, seeing its all in one.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Sep 7, 2006, 10:07 AM
What does this mean?
http://www.macnn.com/blogs/?p=97
On August 22, the European Office of Harmonization published Apple’s latest trademark/service mark application number 005269221 for “IMOVIE.” The European filing was prepared by Field Fisher Waterhouse LLP of London which notes no priority filing. However, the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office officially lists Apple’s iMovie as a registered trademark under application number 2,723, 051 dating back to July 2003 in addition application number 75/782,838 officially registered in China dating back to August 1999. So what’s changed?

The difference in this new filing in contrast to Apple’s original filing is that the original filing only listed International Class 9 covering computer hardware and software whereas the new European filing lists additional International Classes 38, 41 and 42 which cover the following: communications and telecommunications services, entertainment and education services; provision of electronic publications (not downloadable); providing on-line electronic publications and computer hardware and software consulting services; rental of computer hardware and software apparatus and equipment.

BenRoethig
Sep 7, 2006, 10:12 AM
Agreed. Dream prices:

20"= $450
24"=$600
30"=$1000

More like
20"-$549
24"-$899
30"-as is.

Chris Bangle
Sep 7, 2006, 10:23 AM
Ok, so its going to be called imovie. So we're gonna have 2 imovies, how confusing., will it be a seperate software or will it built into itunes, personally i think that itunes should be music only, then programs and films and vodcasts in a separate application called imovie, Itunes is too clogged up.

kasei
Sep 7, 2006, 11:12 AM
I'm looking for a new iPod. I've out grown my Mini. Hopefully there will be an update to the line.

Chris Bangle
Sep 7, 2006, 11:34 AM
I'm looking for a new iPod. I've out grown my Mini. Hopefully there will be an update to the line.

exactly the same situation im in.

bikertwin
Sep 7, 2006, 12:28 PM
Surely Apple can't combine everything into something like http://www.macnn.com/blogs/?p=98.

Or can they?

I normally don't pay attention to Apple patent applications, but this one's a doozie!

Everything from 100% full screen to virtual keys, to selecting different modalities depending on orientation(!), to sensitivity to force of touch, to squeezing, to miniDVD drive, to ....

WOW! :eek:

<edit:>
Or maybe it's really the iTablet? Larger form factor than an iPod? They talk about various operating systems. Maybe it'll be OS X?
</edit>

AtHomeBoy_2000
Sep 7, 2006, 01:02 PM
Surely Apple can't combine everything into something like http://www.macnn.com/blogs/?p=98.

Or can they?

I normally don't pay attention to Apple patent applications, but this one's a doozie!

Everything from 100% full screen to virtual keys, to selecting different modalities depending on orientation(!), to sensitivity to force of touch, to squeezing, to miniDVD drive, to ....

WOW! :eek:

<edit:>
Or maybe it's really the iTablet? Larger form factor than an iPod? They talk about various operating systems. Maybe it'll be OS X?
</edit>
Yea. VERY interesting. i think Apple is just messing with us at this point. lol

rtdunham
Sep 8, 2006, 03:26 PM
Surely Apple can't combine everything into something like (this) Or can they?

...Everything from 100% full screen to virtual keys, to selecting different modalities depending on orientation(!), to sensitivity to force of touch, to squeezing, to miniDVD drive, to ....

the exciting part is how do-able this seems to be. My Treo has a touch sensitive screen. The whole screen can view photos. Or, depending on which other mode you're in--phone dialing? contact search?--a touch on a part of the screen might dial a "2" or select a single contact and display its data; squeezing's already incorporated into the mighty mouse; some of the other features, like different responses depending upon how many fingers touch the screen, already operate on the MBP and MB touchpads, and the linking of different modes (a la phone and contact/pda are already linked on my Treo. Etc., etc.

In fact, maybe the question might be how different the apple patent is from what the Treo does: The treo screen displays icons that can be selected by touch to select a contact manager, or a phone mode, or picture viewer, or web browser, etc., and in each of those modes the various sections of the screen display touch-sensitive choices unique to that mode.

At any rate, I don't know if this multi-featured device is the subject of apple's sept 12 announcement. But i think apple has the potential to incorporate the features of this patent into hugely significant new device(s). The applications are all too obvious. I hope they do. Steve Jobs has always seemed disinclined to offer any product that's just a lot like existing hardware, thus the lack of an iPhone. The ability to incorporate phone and music player and video viewer and....(?) create the opportunity for apple to again be a pioneer--to introduce to us products we didn't realize we wanted, or that do things others had done but in dramatically better ways--as he did with the iPod.

jesteraver
Sep 8, 2006, 07:57 PM
Would be nice to see the nano play video's also be a 8 - 10 gb version. Hopefully they totally overhaul the iPod, 80 - 120 gb and better battery life or something.

4 Days until we see some new stuff!