Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
When I read your post, I wasn't going to look. After all, I have nothing against the usual Apple critics. For the most part, they are just trying to create a stir. Anyway, I did take a look; and it was an enjoyable read. Thanks for the link.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Uhm, er, how... what... why? This guy goes through mood swings, I swear. I was reviewing his previews of each of the major Vista builds and the pre-RC1 preview build had five Thurotts out of five; that pre-RC1 build is just a few builds behind RC1! A good majority of the recent major builds had at least three or four Thurotts out of five.

Now he's completely dissing it? I know he's gone through phases of hatred and love with Vista, but good lord...

I'm not going to tear this "review" apart, but his build 5536 (pre-RC1) review has this to say about UAC:

User Account Control (UAC) has been dramatically improved and let me be among the first to throw out a hearty "thank you" to the UAC team for that. Now, instead of the stunningly annoying "pop" that used to occur every time one of the UAC alert dialogs appeared, the transition is smooth and there is a soft, almost enjoyable, beep sound. This is literally the first time I didn't reach for the "remove UAC" option after installing a recent Vista build. Bravo.

And now he says:

And take User Account Control (UAC), please. No seriously, please take it. And kill it. And stomp on its dead body. And then hang it on a flag pole as a warning to others. Yes, UAC is dramatically less annoying than it was in Beta 2. And yes, Microsoft has addressed the very egregious problems and bugs I found in this software earlier this year. And you know what? UAC is still annoying. It's still really annoying. It still pops up way too much, especially when you're using a so-called administrator account. And for once, I actually have a solution. It goes like this.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
CO
Lixivial said:
Uhm, er, how... what... why? This guy goes through mood swings, I swear.

He really does - but his reviews are pretty decent (when he leaves his opinion out of them), so I usually enjoy reading him...

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
He really does - but his reviews are pretty decent (when he leaves his opinion out of them), so I usually enjoy reading him...

Reviews decent? Sorry, I have a real problem with Paul Thurrot being completely biased (towards Windows) and either quoting inconsistent and incorrect statements or just flying off on some tangent in make-believe land.

My 2 cents...

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
I enjoy reading Thurrot's reviews because sometimes they are so obviously biased that it is laughable. I mean, it almost seems as if he really is paid by MS to say what he says.

On the other had, this recent one surprised me. I think Paul is starting to lose a little faith in MS. Call it a nagging little bit of doubt or whatever, but Lately it just seems he's always having to reassure his readers (and thus himself) that Vista is going to be great despite all the delays, setbacks, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.