Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Does anyone else think that it would be useful to be able to ask all machines under your control to give their current status from wherever you happen to be?

I've been thinking of building in some client-server code to talk to a control application to retrieve progress information from any machine which has been configured.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I read about a guy that did this under SETI. (Years ago) He wrote a program to go collect the status files from all of his computers and then pull out the numbers. Then he put the results into HTML. Seems like alot of work though... :)

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Just don't create someback door for some jackass PC user to use and make it into a trojan, okay?

That would be cool, how about a large source of data... how long ___ CPU too to complete __ point unit...
Its cool, but, it would take a hella work on your part and on others...
If your than devoted, go for it. :D

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i would be interested in that since i run ~50 machines
sometimes i take it by faith that they're all running

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It only seems as though it will be somewhat difficult as I've got to create a chat client anyway for class. I've dealt with a lot of inter-systems communication--just not using Java.

As far as back doors, I've never even created one for myself, even for debugging. My philosophy doesn't allow escape routes.

I'm thinking that each client needs some basic setup information:

IP address of the server
port to establish initial communication
description of location

The server would only need to match the port for initial communication to talk.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I'd love to have this. Do you think you would be able to set something up to send the info out, rather than the user having to log into the machine from an outside IP? What I mean is, if the IP address of a machine changes I can't get into it until I know the new IP. I'm wondering how hard it would be to work around this.

Dan

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by alset
I'd love to have this. Do you think you would be able to set something up to send the info out, rather than the user having to log into the machine from an outside IP? What I mean is, if the IP address of a machine changes I can't get into it until I know the new IP. I'm wondering how hard it would be to work around this.

Dan

Central server which the clients give their IP and name so others can connect to it.

My idea will be killed because no one will give a machine that can do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.