PDA

View Full Version : Ogg Vorbis on iPod/iTunes?

crapple33
Mar 26, 2003, 09:42 PM
I don't know if anybody has heard of Ogg Vorbis, but it's a replacement for mp3. It has much better quality, a much better compression factor, and best of all, it's open source. There's an encoder/player for Ogg Vorbis: www.nouturn.com/oggdrop (http://www.nouturn.com/oggdrop) and there's also a plugin so you can play them in iTunes and QuickTime: www.illadvised.com/~jordy (http://www.illadvised.com/~jordy).

Now, what I would really want next would be an Ogg Vorbis plugin for the iPod. I don't own an iPod, but I would buy one right now if they had Ogg Vorbis support. If anyone else agrees with me, say something. Also, go to www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html (http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html) and tell Apple about it. Maybe if enough people do this, Apple will do something about it.

howard
Mar 26, 2003, 10:38 PM
hmm seems a little fishy to me

muhahahahahaha!!!!!!! ooo thats really bad...i'm sorry

i shouldn't joke, i've been wishing that there was a better compression then mp3. i use it because its most popular basically.

NavyIntel007
Mar 26, 2003, 10:53 PM
The iPod currently has no Ogg support. Much of the community have been requesting it but it probably won't happen because of those RIAA thugs.

crapple33
Mar 27, 2003, 08:40 PM
I don't know anything about how the iPod works, so this may be an ignorant comment, but the RIAA can't stop some individual or groups of individuals from developing a plug-in for the iPod.

My worst fear is that Ogg Vorbis will never catch on and we'll be stuck for awhile longer until the "official" successor to MP3 is released.

Kwyjibo
Mar 27, 2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by crapple33
I don't know anything about how the iPod works, so this may be an ignorant comment, but the RIAA can't stop some individual or groups of individuals from developing a plug-in for the iPod.

My worst fear is that Ogg Vorbis will never catch on and we'll be stuck for awhile longer until the "official" successor to MP3 is released.

I don't think apple wants to support it wither fyi and i assume that woudl require some kind of firmware change so its not likley unless apple wants to support it which they won't because the riaa would make a fuss

MeanE
Mar 28, 2003, 08:33 AM
Apple would support it for sure....if not for the fact that Ogg takes up ALOT of processing power. With the proliferation of "mp3" players there was the creation of "mp3" chips specifically designed to be just right for mp3 (and wma..it can use them) decoding. I'm pretty sure the current iPod's just are not physically capeable of supporing ogg's.

Trust me...companies would love to support ogg vorbis file...but when you have to stick in a chip that would add like 15-20 bucks to do so...free is just not worth it anymore.

And on top of that, with media prices falling (for solid state players) and iPods having lots of space...its not worth it to convert to ogg. It IS better...but not by a huge magnitude.

KingArthur
Mar 28, 2003, 12:46 PM
I disagree that there ins't a major difference! I have tried listening to Ogg at 128kb/sec v.s. MP3 at 160kb/sec and Ogg was far superior. I personally am VERY picky about my music quality, though;). I won't encode less than 192kb/sec for MP3.

A firmware change would definately be necessary for the iPod to support Ogg, and I am not sure about the available power of the iPod's processor vs the requirements by Ogg. I would think that there would be some way to aleviate that problem in the future. If we see an official sucessor to MP3, it would definately require more processing power than the current formats, so Ogg should be able to be supported if/when that happens. Just my two cents worth.

Taft
Mar 28, 2003, 01:06 PM
I'm still waiting for aac support. If they would provide that, I would be placated for a while. Not quite as good as Ogg, but better than mp3.

Taft

swahilibill
Mar 28, 2003, 01:27 PM
They have to incorporate AAC support with the new Music service and the new iTunes. THey cannot just put out new iPods that only support AAC, there are too many people with iPods already. THey will find a way to support AAC, and i bet it comes sooner than we all think. Apple does everything right, remember that! Well, maybe not everything right, but close! I just bought a 10GB less than two weeks ago and i have a little over 5GB on it, and if it does not support AAC i would be really pissed, although i dont think that will happen, thats too risky for the older iPods to not support something as big as AAC. I dont think i would rerip till my collection grew too big, but i might just for the fun of it! Thats just my two cents...

Snorlax
Mar 28, 2003, 05:14 PM
Ogg Vorbis is already playable on the Ipod, currently in 80% of realtime but the more we get working on this project the faster we got the Ogg Vorbis, Queuing, Playlist managment, More games etc...

Well the project I'm talking about is Ipodlinux which you can find out information about here: http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net

And if you have got questions or want to join the project you can visit the IRC Channel #ipodlinux @ irc.freenode.net

MeanE
Mar 28, 2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by KingArthur
I disagree that there ins't a major difference! I have tried listening to Ogg at 128kb/sec v.s. MP3 at 160kb/sec and Ogg was far superior. I personally am VERY picky about my music quality, though;). I won't encode less than 192kb/sec for MP3.

Oh I encode all my stuff at 256k ;) I find 192 to be pretty much a perfect copy (well I have never noticed any flaws). I just encode a little higher to be a perfectionist....with 160 gigs of room I am not hurting anyway.

I on the other hand find a 160kb/sec MP3 file to be equal to a 128k Ogg...maybe my ears are not as good. So in my mind the required hardware is not worth the trouble for the small amount of space you save. I had at one time had my music collection fragmented into mp3's, ogg's and WMA's. I just hit the point where I said "Scew it" thew them away and re-ripped to mp3. No matter what I am using (OS or hardware) I know they will work.

I think Ogg is an GREAT idea...too bad it had not came out first and become the standard. Mp3 is the standard and it would take a revolutionary new format to displace it.