Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vjjohnson3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Hi all,
I have started to install bootcamp on my intel imac. I am getting stuck at partition hard drive. It starts to partition and then stops and tells me to run disk utility. I run disk utility and it appears that the disk is fine. I have tried both repairing disk and verifying disk.

Although maybe there is something wrong. I can't view any videos that require windows media player from the internet.

If there is in fact something wrong with my disk I would like to repair it asap.

Thanks,
Vincent

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
vjjohnson3 said:
Hi all,
I have started to install bootcamp on my intel imac. I am getting stuck at partition hard drive. It starts to partition and then stops and tells me to run disk utility. I run disk utility and it appears that the disk is fine. I have tried both repairing disk and verifying disk.

Although maybe there is something wrong. I can't view any videos that require windows media player from the internet.

If there is in fact something wrong with my disk I would like to repair it asap.

Thanks,
Vincent

Stick in your os x disc and boot from it using the c key, then run the disc utility there. It will check everything :)

PS: Do you have photoshop installed ?

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
just wondering

I haven't gotten my Intel Mac Mini yet, but when I do I plan to use the disk utility in OSX to partition the drive before I install either OSX or whatever variant of Windows I wind up with. It seems that several people have had problems with boot camp/partitioning...is there any real reason I should use boot camp at all? Can I not just extract the drivers that I need?

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
beatsme said:
I haven't gotten my Intel Mac Mini yet, but when I do I plan to use the disk utility in OSX to partition the drive before I install either OSX or whatever variant of Windows I wind up with. It seems that several people have had problems with boot camp/partitioning...is there any real reason I should use boot camp at all? Can I not just extract the drivers that I need?

You need to get the partitions setup first otherwise it won't work.

The only time its a problem is when disc repair finds issues it can't fix while using the disc.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Gordy said:
You need to get the partitions setup first otherwise it won't work.

I'm sorry, not quite following...

so I get the Mini, and immediately re-format/partition the drive. I install OSX on one partition. I'm then free to install Windows on the other partition at my leisure, assuming I have all the drivers, etc.

this is what you're saying, yes?

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
beatsme said:
I'm sorry, not quite following...

so I get the Mini, and immediately re-format/partition the drive. I install OSX on one partition. I'm then free to install Windows on the other partition at my leisure, assuming I have all the drivers, etc.

this is what you're saying, yes?

Windows is installed on a seperate partition to os x, the boot camp tool allows you to change the partition size of the from the factory drive to allow you to install windows xp on the new partition leaving your os x drive safe and well.

If you partition the drive yourself I'm not sure it would work as boot camp may also alter the boot up sequence to allow the finding of windows boot disc, not sure tho as I've not tried :)

personally I'd just use the boot camp wizard its easiest (and thats from someone who had problems with repairing the disc).

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
If you reformatted your Hard drive before, go to disk utility, partitions, options and make sure it was formatted with the intel partition table, rather than the one meant for PowerPC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.