PDA

View Full Version : Gisele BŁndchen, 2 Other 'Get A Mac' Ads Spotted

MacRumors
Sep 5, 2006, 09:06 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

One visitor to Apple's Tampa Bay International Plaza store (http://www.apple.com/retail/plaza/) has posted images to his flickr stream (http://flickr.com/photos/nickstarr/sets/72157594266802285/) from what appear to be three new Get A Mac ads shown in-store. The ads have not appeared as of yet online or on the air, however the user describes the ads via his website (http://www.nickstarr.com/2006/09/05/exclusive-new-apple-get-a-mac-ads/) as the following:

1) A unkempt cross-dresser stands with "the PC" while Gisele BŁndchen stands with "the Mac" (symbolizing the design of the computers?)
2) Both the PC and Mac characters dress in suits. "The PC ends up on the floor in this one"
3) The "PC" and "Mac" go to counseling to resolve their differences

Gisele BŁndchen's involvement in Apple's ad campaign had been previously rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060530115721.shtml).

iMikeT
Sep 5, 2006, 09:09 PM
I can't wait to see the new ads.

mjstew33
Sep 5, 2006, 09:11 PM
!!!!

I was just there. Too bad I didn't see them. :(

evilgEEk
Sep 5, 2006, 09:12 PM
Those look hilarious! I can't wait to see them.

I had no idea the spots would debut in Stores first. Interesting.

ricksbrain
Sep 5, 2006, 09:14 PM
I wonder if these might not just remain store-only. If they're really good, they could be a sort of fun draw for people to come to the store.

Probably not, but maybe just for the short term...

chatin
Sep 5, 2006, 09:14 PM
Gisele should play the Xserve - awesome rack!

spicyapple
Sep 5, 2006, 09:15 PM
The counselor in the third pic looks like Hope Davis. It'll be fun to find out.

akadmon
Sep 5, 2006, 09:15 PM
Lisa...um, I mean Gisele next Tuesday!:rolleyes:

gugy
Sep 5, 2006, 09:38 PM
she's so hot!

A Mac and Gisele, what else coould you ask for!:D :eek: :p

twoodcc
Sep 5, 2006, 09:38 PM
I can't wait to see the new ads.

same here. glad to see Apple with all these new ads. good job Apple:cool:

mproud
Sep 5, 2006, 09:40 PM
These new ads got into my local Apple Store.

One is with the Mac dressed in a suit, catching the PC by surprise. The Mac says there's enough business around for the both of them.

The others feature a super model and psychiatrist. Can't remember the dialogue.

swingerofbirch
Sep 5, 2006, 09:41 PM
This is definitely getting away from think different.

Mac=sexpot

Windows=transvestite (or transgendered? hard to tell from the pic)

Transvestite tops sexpot in terms of thinking different.

nagromme
Sep 5, 2006, 09:46 PM
I'm not sure about #1 :confused: but #2 sounds like "Macs are good for business too, AND they keep running when the viruses attack," while #3 sounds like some myth-busting to remind people that Macs and PCs communicate and share files just fine.

extraextra
Sep 5, 2006, 10:02 PM
I think it's more like, Windows = weird and not very attractive, and Apple = hot and sexy. :p

She's wearing flats and she's still taller than them, haha.

noservice2001
Sep 5, 2006, 10:09 PM
possibly a sign of the good things to come!

ezekielrage_99
Sep 5, 2006, 10:13 PM
So are we dropping G5 PowerBook next tueday and replacing it with Gisele next tuesday?

I wish she came with a Mac, PC people would be turned in an instance ;)

Tommyg117
Sep 5, 2006, 10:13 PM
haha, Apple IS hot and sexy.

typecase
Sep 5, 2006, 10:24 PM
Kind of reminds me of this Joy of Tech comic, one of my favorites:

http://joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyimages/817.jpg

MrCrowbar
Sep 5, 2006, 10:37 PM
Gisele should play the Xserve - awesome rack!

ROFL. That's a good one. I dunno if business people who buy the servers will fall for this but it's still cool. :cool: :p

getamac
Sep 5, 2006, 10:40 PM
Saw them this weekend in Chicago. Hilarious, especially the one where they're working on their video projects.

tweedy7736
Sep 5, 2006, 10:51 PM
1) A unkempt cross-dresser stands with "the PC" while Gisele BŁndchen stands with "the Mac" (symbolizing the design of the computers?)

I'm assuming here that the contrast isn't supposed to symbolize the design of the computers (that would be politically incorrect). Rather, it seems more likely that it'll come out as something to do with the PC being an imperfect copy of the Mac. (?)

AML707
Sep 5, 2006, 11:05 PM
My God is she sexy! Too bad there isn't girls like that where I live....

EricNau
Sep 5, 2006, 11:08 PM
Wow - Apple just released 3 ads; it seems a little to soon to release more.

I actually do like the idea of keeping these ads as "in-store specials." (Although I'm doubtful it'll stay that way).

ryanx27
Sep 5, 2006, 11:10 PM
she's so hot!

A Mac and Gisele, what else coould you ask for!:D :eek: :p

A Mac, Gisele, and Alessandra Ambrosio :cool:

OziMac
Sep 5, 2006, 11:19 PM
I'm assuming here that the contrast isn't supposed to symbolize the design of the computers (that would be politically incorrect). Rather, it seems more likely that it'll come out as something to do with the PC being an imperfect copy of the Mac. (?)

Yeah, I like this interpretation - maybe Gisele is OS X and the the dude is XP or Vista. :)

mdntcallr
Sep 5, 2006, 11:36 PM
well gisele is sexy, so .... couldnt hurt the brand image.

:p

Foxglove9
Sep 6, 2006, 12:07 AM
This looks very un-Apple. Not impressed so far.

bloodycape
Sep 6, 2006, 12:17 AM
cant wait till these get posted on the net. Maybe somebody youtubed it already?

Am3822
Sep 6, 2006, 12:57 AM
This crossdresser/woman ad seems to me to be a bit of a cheap shot.

GFLPraxis
Sep 6, 2006, 01:15 AM
I suspect that the girls represent the...hardware? I don't know. Looking at this picture...
http://static.flickr.com/95/232927985_79cd0a0b5a.jpg?v=0

Each bring a girl. The Mac gets a good looking girl, the PC gets an ugly guy dressed as a girl. The PC guy looks like he's trying to show off pretending he doesn't have an ugly girl (guy). Mac = pretty, PC = ugly is the message.

I'm trying to think of what they represent, I can only think of the hardware.

ChrisA
Sep 6, 2006, 01:17 AM
Yeah, I like this interpretation - maybe Gisele is OS X and the the dude is XP or Vista. :)

No. It has to do with the underlying software that is under the pretty point and click GUI. Something like "Yes you can put a dress on something big and ugly but the result is not as nice as when you put the dress on something better designed like BSD. Vista might look like a mac on the surface but the "ook" is about as thin as the fabric in that dress.

xPismo
Sep 6, 2006, 01:17 AM

Yeah. Struck me as odd too. We shall see.

EricNau
Sep 6, 2006, 01:18 AM
I agree - it does. I suspect it will not be welcome among the PC community.

OziMac
Sep 6, 2006, 01:34 AM
No. It has to do with the underlying software that is under the pretty point and click GUI. Something like "Yes you can put a dress on something big and ugly but the result is not as nice as when you put the dress on something better designed like BSD. Vista might look like a mac on the surface but the "ook" is about as thin as the fabric in that dress.

The same thing in principle, but I can't see how details like that are going to wash over an uneducated audience in 30 seconds. But let's wait and see. :)

Uragon
Sep 6, 2006, 02:15 AM

nice interpretation...

Sep 6, 2006, 04:22 AM
My God is she sexy! Too bad there isn't girls like that where I live....

It's good to be Brazilian...Gisele is just a single portrait of how beautiful girls can be in my home place...actually we have at least 4 Brazilian girls in the top 10 spots for nicest/sexiest models of the world... :rolleyes:

rabatjoie
Sep 6, 2006, 04:49 AM
not bad as an interpretation, but too complex for an ad (the BSD part). i think it really is about the OS X beauty "stolen" by vista. I imagine something like the mac guy having a girlfriend and the PC guy being jealous. a moment later he reappears with the girlfriend he "made" for himself, because he couldn't have the one the mac guy has.

as a sidenote: in french, "operating system" translates into "systŤme d'exploitation". now go discuss about the implications of that! ;)

isgoed
Sep 6, 2006, 05:25 AM
Being a Mac fanatic that just bough a 20" iMac. - $1699
Going to the apple store because you realized you were missing that killer utility.- $99
Getting puked on by a PC on a MacRumors forumthread. / Showing your affection for the Mac on a MacRumors forumthread. - Priceless
http://static.flickr.com/89/232921148_9673494026.jpg?v=0
http://static.flickr.com/86/232920092_61d39ad606.jpg?v=0

By the way... Isn't Gisele that 30-million-girl? Personally I'd say that they could have gone for a cheaper 'model'. Hell!, I would go for a cheaper model myself :D.

Frisco
Sep 6, 2006, 06:36 AM
Yummy!

Sep 6, 2006, 07:57 AM
Yummy!

Yummy indeed...smart (and beautiful) girls use Macs..! :D

phatspider
Sep 6, 2006, 08:02 AM
New iMacs released :

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore

Couldnt see it mentioned anywhere

atownrat
Sep 6, 2006, 08:54 AM
The Gisele ad is like this:

Mac and PC are talking about how they just made some home movies. PC says let's see yours, and so Gisele comes out and introduces herself as a Mac home movie. PC tries to leave it at that, but Mac prods him into showing his. A large guy in a dress comes out and introduces himself as a PC home movie.

The suit ad is like this:

They say hello, both in suits. PC asks Mac "What's with the big boy clothes?" and Mac responds "I just got back from a meeting." "What?!" Mac says he's been running Microsoft Office for years, so he's good for business stuff too. PC starts to have a panic attack and says he needs to sit down. He sits down as Mac tries to say there's enough work for both of them. PC reclines and doesn't feel any better.

The counseling ad...I don't really remember.

dsnort
Sep 6, 2006, 09:02 AM
The Apple store in Tampa's International Plaza is where I bought my Macbook.

I hope someone puts these ads on Youtube, I would really like to see them but it's a long drive to the store.

isgoed
Sep 6, 2006, 04:13 PM
Yummy!
Of course I wanted that image as my desktop. Google helped me out when I entered the phrase "mac supermodels".

For your pleasure:
More Pixels than you can handle (http://www.pixelbomb.com/blog/2006/08/03/victorias-secret-angels-like-macs.html).

I didn't know that these girls *are* Gisele and Allesandra. But it's not like I care or something. It are the MacBooks that make this picture hot! :eek:

Juan Lars
Sep 6, 2006, 04:21 PM
This is transphobic, and is quite disappointing coming from Apple.

If I were transgender, I would be sick and tired of being made a laughing stock in the media, or being described continually as "ugly" or "fake."

dsnort
Sep 6, 2006, 04:33 PM
This is transphobic, and is quite disappointing coming from Apple.

If I were transgender, I would be sick and tired of being made a laughing stock in the media, or being described continually as "ugly" or "fake."

I find your post to be humorophobic and Appleophobic, and I am highly offended.:eek: Incensed even!:mad:

Juan Lars
Sep 6, 2006, 04:42 PM
I find your post to be humorophobic and Appleophobic, and I am highly offended.:eek: Incensed even!:mad:

Funny, isn't it, that "humor" of this sort is targeted at minority groups.

Sorry if, as a gay man, I don't want my transgendered brothers and sisters lampooned on television - when they aren't taken seriously to begin.

But your post proves that ridicule is easier than actual discussion.

dsnort
Sep 6, 2006, 05:02 PM
Funny, isn't it, that "humor" of this sort is targeted at minority groups.

Sorry if, as a gay man, I don't want my transgendered brothers and sisters lampooned on television - when they aren't taken seriously to begin.

But your post proves that ridicule is easier than actual discussion.

And your post proves something the comedian Lewis Black said. "When you lose the ability to laugh at yourself, you're done".

I wasn't making fun of transgenders, (which the guy in the ad is not, it's a dude in a wig and dress), I was making fun of you. And not because you're gay, but because you are one of the many people today so entrenched in the victimology of one aspect of your life as to feel a compulsive need to subject every experience to judgement based on some supposed moral superiority conferred by your "victim" status.

But this is becomming a discussion for another forum. Be well, live well.

Foxglove9
Sep 6, 2006, 05:09 PM
I wasn't making fun of transgenders, (which the guy in the ad is not, it's a dude in a wig and dress),

Sadly though this is how the media depicts Transgender people in America. That is when they're not being portrayed as pyschos or serial killers.

Wasn't the best approach for Apple to take to get their point across.

Maxiseller
Sep 6, 2006, 05:16 PM
Sadly though this is how the media depicts Transgender people in America. That is when they're not being portrayed as pyschos or serial killers.

Wasn't the best approach for Apple to take to get their point across.

Sadly, the "new approach" you mention is just that: Political correctness often overrides the fact that people should be able to laugh at themselves.

I'm sorry; the above poster is right...if you can't even laugh at yourself, then just give up and go home. This advert hurts nobody.

WikiChick
Sep 6, 2006, 08:44 PM
Sadly, the "new approach" you mention is just that: Political correctness often overrides the fact that people should be able to laugh at themselves.

I'm sorry; the above poster is right...if you can't even laugh at yourself, then just give up and go home. This advert hurts nobody.

I read this post and felt motivated to register just to reply to you!

As a transwoman who often sees portrayals of her community that represent transpeople as parodies just like the Apple ad being shown here, I definitely feel hurt and upset that Apple has decided to lower their respect for gender variant people by putting one forward as an inferior version of a girl.

Portrayals of transpeople in the media like this one sabotage the ability of society to hold a fair discourse, and in light of the fact that I am very much at the mercy of society's whims, I don't think it's very fair of you at all to tell me that this doesn't hurt me.

Juan Lars
Sep 6, 2006, 08:59 PM
And your post proves something the comedian Lewis Black said. "When you lose the ability to laugh at yourself, you're done".

What exactly does this has to do with laughing at one's self?

This isn't an in-joke. This is straight people laughing at GLBT people. A heterosexual laughing at a trans person doesn't entail laughing at themself, it entails laughing at an other.

I can laugh at myself. I don't want to be laughed at by ignorant straight people. Is that so much to ask?

And not because you're gay, but because you are one of the many people today so entrenched in the victimology of one aspect of your life as to feel a compulsive need to subject every experience to judgement based to some supposed moral superiority conferred by your "victim" status.

I've almost died due to homophobia, let alone any number of other incidents. That isn't "victimology" or "moral superiority" - it's called real life. I know first-hand what negative portrayals of gay/trans people means to my, and other GLBT people, livelihood and ability to life safely. These aren't theoretical concepts for me like they may be for you.

You're very lucky that you, and Maxiseller, don't have the personal experience and can write this off as "political correctness" or "victim status." But WikiChick, myself and I'm sure many others are entitled to feel hurt and offended by this on the basis of our everyday lives and not have it qualified or written off in such a manner.

AidenShaw
Sep 6, 2006, 09:35 PM
This isn't an in-joke. This is straight people laughing at GLBT people. A heterosexual laughing at a trans person doesn't entail laughing at themself, it entails laughing at an other.

And apparently Apple realized that the ads were too offensive to be shown on television.

It's just too bad that they didn't realize that they are too offensive to be shown - period. They should fire the people who authorized them to be filmed, and also the people who decided to show them in the stores.

I hope that this means that the Lord God Jobs hasn't been paying enough attention to the marketing/advertising people - and not that His Vegan-ness is stooping to crass exploitation to sell boxes....

AidenShaw
Sep 6, 2006, 09:47 PM
This isn't an in-joke.
If you're not an African-American, please describe some situations where you can use the word "******" in a joke....

The fact that it might be used by some blacks in an "in-joke" fashion, doesn't mean that anyone can use it without the risk of offending.

Apple has crossed a line with this ad - I hope that the GLBT community nails them for it. Completely unacceptable, especially for a company that tries to portray itself as progressive. (Although this, coupled with the Green Peace story, makes one wonder if Apple is putting up a facade of progressiveness.)

OMG - SJ is a neocon :eek:

AidenShaw
Sep 6, 2006, 09:48 PM
If you're not an African-American, please describe some situations where you can use the word "******" in a joke....
Hmmm, that six-letter word was too strong for the forum. Good.

steviem
Sep 7, 2006, 03:13 AM
I can laugh at myself. I don't want to be laughed at by ignorant straight people. Is that so much to ask?

Thanks for branding straight people as ignorant:rolleyes:

By the way - I'm straight and white - when I got attacked for being white (you know - an easy target apparently) and went to the police, they wouldn't take it seriously for being racially motivated. It seems if your not a member of a minority you don't get affected by racism or even heterophobia, which I believe is just completely wrong.

SPUY767
Sep 7, 2006, 06:50 AM
That is a freaking riot!

SPUY767
Sep 7, 2006, 06:53 AM
Penguins are reptiles!

Thanks for branding straight people as ignorant:rolleyes:

By the way - I'm straight and white - when I got attacked for being white (you know - an easy target apparently) and went to the police, they wouldn't take it seriously for being racially motivated. It seems if your not a member of a minority you don't get affected by racism or even heterophobia, which I believe is just completely wrong.

Amen - lefties have us so afraid of offending that it's come full circle and we're now experiencing some twisted form of reverse racism. I used to work in a largely Asian area of the city. I was treated as a substandard citizen daily because I was a roundeye. If we are so blind to see that the hammer swings both ways then I feel a great deal of dread for where we as a society are headed.

Lau
Sep 7, 2006, 06:59 AM
<removed>

Wow. Ignorant post of the year...

For starters, there's a difference between transvestites who perform on stage, and those who do it for all sorts of other reasons, sometimes in private, sometimes in public, and not for a 'spectacle' either.

As for your comment about transexuals, that's just hugely offensive, and totally ill informed at best.

SPUY767
Sep 7, 2006, 07:05 AM
Wow. Ignorant post of the year...

For starters, there's a difference between transvestites who perform on stage, and those who do it for all sorts of other reasons, sometimes in private, sometimes in public, and not for a 'spectacle' either.

As for your comment about transexuals, that's just hugely offensive, and totally ill informed at best.

Nobody said I was here to impress anyone. Flame bait is good to get the blood flowing this early in the morning.

I have nearly been killed on two occasions merely because I am white and driving a nice car on the wrong street. Negative stereotypes are all too often perpetuated by those who claim to be hurt by them. The new standard, I'm sad to say, is the double standard.

BTW, this thread is bound to get too racy and is on the fast-track to closure.

After watching Fox News, they have another picture of an Iraqi militant who has been killed. Is it just me, or does every single one of these guys look like ron jeremy after a bad bar fight?

Lau
Sep 7, 2006, 07:13 AM
Nobody said I was here to impress anyone. Flame bait is good to get the blood flowing this early in the morning.

I have nearly been killed on two occasions merely because I am white and driving a nice car on the wrong street. Negative stereotypes are all too often perpetuated by those who claim to be hurt by them. The new standard, I'm sad to say, is the double standard.

BTW, this thread is bound to get too racy and is on the fast-track to closure.

I agree with you that racism and discrimination towards anyone is wrong, whether they're the minority or majority. But I don't see in any way how that makes it okay for you to say <your previous post>.

SPUY767
Sep 7, 2006, 07:17 AM
I agree with you that racism and discrimination towards anyone is wrong, whether they're the minority or majority. But I don't see in any way how that makes it okay for you to say that "trannies are funny" and that transexuals are "kind of sad and a bit creepy".

Agreed, it ended up being kind of a train wreck of a post.

Lau
Sep 7, 2006, 07:33 AM
Agreed, it ended up being kind of a train wreck of a post.

As you removed and regretted your post, I've edited mine.

SPUY767
Sep 7, 2006, 07:37 AM
I was hoping you'd re-quote the "Penguins are reptiles" bit as the "ignorant post of the year" ;)

Lau
Sep 7, 2006, 07:39 AM
I was hoping you'd re-quote the "Penguins are reptiles" bit as the "ignorant post of the year" ;)

Now that is ignorant. :p

Queso
Sep 7, 2006, 07:57 AM
I've got to say, if Apple honestly think this tactic is going to impress anyone they ought to change whoever is in charge of their television marketing.

Whether some of the "white straight guys" on the forum like it or not, that ad is offensive in a way I don't expect from Apple. Although the idea of a fake copy with regards to the home movie is a good one, it is not acceptable to use either transgendered or transvestite people to illustrate it as if they are fake copies themselves. Apple may as well have illustrated the point with The Black and White Minstrel Show, yet somehow that wasn't deemed "humourous" or acceptable, and it doesn't take much thought to work out why.

I never thought I'd get this angry about an Apple ad, yet the more I think about it, the more I'm disgusted that this wasn't canned within seconds of it being thought up, let alone that it was filmed and is now being shown in stores.

SPUY767
Sep 7, 2006, 08:22 AM
I've got to say, if Apple honestly think this tactic is going to impress anyone they ought to change whoever is in charge of their television marketing.

Whether some of the "white straight guys" on the forum like it or not, that ad is offensive in a way I don't expect from Apple. Although the idea of a fake copy with regards to the home movie is a good one, it is not acceptable to use either transgendered or transvestite people to illustrate it as if they are fake copies themselves. Apple may as well have illustrated the point with The Black and White Minstrel Show, yet somehow that wasn't deemed "humourous" or acceptable, and it doesn't take much thought to work out why.

I never thought I'd get this angry about an Apple ad, yet the more I think about it, the more I'm disgusted that this wasn't canned within seconds of it being thought up, let alone that it was filmed and is now being shown in stores.

In the end, I think people are getting too worked up over it.

Queso
Sep 7, 2006, 08:32 AM
You are entitled to your opinion. But if I and others (including other posters here) are offended by this ad, how can you argue that it isn't offensive?

I expect better from Apple.

WikiChick
Sep 7, 2006, 08:32 AM

Well, as the person I guess who sort of started at least the "This hurts me" end of things on this, I think I can say that I feel that it's offensive and wrong, but the overreaction going on is a bit much, too.

From my perspective, the sad truth about things is that people don't even think of this stuff before they say it, make it, put it on TV or whatever. If I/we got enraged and all every time it happened, I/the community would never enjoy an afternoon. On the other hand, if people like myself don't stand up and say that we think that these things are wrong, then we become invisible and there's no challenge to the status quo -- There's no reason for anyone to change if no one complains, and sometimes it's even in little forums like this that someone's opinion or mind can be made to think about the issues. So in that respect, I feel glad that I wrote my post. :)

To me, it's like... if the only portrayal of the straight, white community that anyone ever saw was Larry The Cable Guy, then it might start to feel a little grating that people couldn't get it right, you know?

MentalFabric
Sep 7, 2006, 10:20 AM
I was wondering when this was going to get on to the 'is this ad a hate crime' discussion :D
It does annoy me how they always get the biggest ugliest hairiest guy to play that man in a dress (and i hate having a specific word for one, what about women in trousers?)
if you were that ugly in a dress you'd probably avoid it!
I'm a straight guy who likes the way he looks in dresses (check the photos on my website - maybe you'd think i was a woman if i hadn't mentioned it! and i look really quite masculine half the time, ninjutsu does that to you) and though i'd defend to the death apple's right to put out this ad, i don't like it one little bit.
I think we should all try to remain civil with this, we all have the right to our own opinions! I don't understand the PoV of people who dislike men wearing dresses, and they probably don't understand me, so as far as relations between us go that should be the end of it!

REMEMBER:

This land is made of love and peace!

Xx

Foxglove9
Sep 7, 2006, 10:28 AM
It does annoy me how they always get the biggest ugliest hairiest guy to play that man in a dress (and i hate having a specific word for one, what about women in trousers?)

I think it's because the idea of a guy looking like an attractive woman makes some people uncomfortable for whatever reasons. Where as an ugly dude, wearing a dress is easy to swallow and something to laugh at.

BTW..like your gothic lolita look :p

MentalFabric
Sep 7, 2006, 10:36 AM
I think it's because the idea of a guy looking like an attractive woman makes some people uncomfortable for whatever reasons. Where as an ugly dude, wearing a dress is easy to swallow and something to laugh at.

BTW..like your gothic lolita look :p
I completely agree :)
unfortunately since that photo was taken i'm no longer the size of a japanese girl - as i've advanced somewhat in ninjutsu i've put on a lot of muscleÖ i ripped the shoulders of that dress doing a flip!
That doesn't stop me wearing skirts that complement me nicely though!
:D

Xx

hugeipod
Sep 7, 2006, 07:23 PM
"A unkempt cross-dresser stands with "the PC" while Gisele BŁndchen stands with "the Mac" (symbolizing the design of the computers?)"

it symbolises that the pc is a cheap imitation of the mac.

monke
Sep 7, 2006, 10:05 PM
I loved the 'Get a Mac' ads, and can't wait to see them.

Listening to the radio the other day (actually just channel changing) when upon I hear one of the broadcasters say 'Touche', the other one replies 'I don't think you used that right', then they mentioned something about it being in a commercial. :D

polyesterlester
Sep 9, 2006, 12:36 PM
I think there's a difference between a guy in a dress, and a transsexual. Imagine if they used an overweight woman instead of the facial haired guy in a dress! This seems much more lighthearted than if they'd used a large woman. I'm not saying it's okay to poke fun at transgendered people, I'm just saying that I don't see their particular portrayal as offensive. I mean, the guy looks like a construction worker. I don't mean to say that it's in particularly good taste (I haven't seen it yet - we don't have any Apple stores in Alaska yet), but certainly not offensive.

Now, if they used a real transvestite - someone who at least looks like they take their lifestyle a little more seriously, and didn't just slap on a dress for a few minutes - then it'd be way offensive.

GreatOne08
Sep 9, 2006, 05:30 PM
Looks like another great Getamac ad

sunfast
Sep 9, 2006, 05:33 PM
The Get a Mac ads are great. Can't wait for new ones.

mkaake
Sep 11, 2006, 12:09 PM
I think there's a difference between a guy in a dress, and a transsexual. Imagine if they used an overweight woman instead of the facial haired guy in a dress! This seems much more lighthearted than if they'd used a large woman. I'm not saying it's okay to poke fun at transgendered people, I'm just saying that I don't see their particular portrayal as offensive. I mean, the guy looks like a construction worker. I don't mean to say that it's in particularly good taste (I haven't seen it yet - we don't have any Apple stores in Alaska yet), but certainly not offensive.

Now, if they used a real transvestite - someone who at least looks like they take their lifestyle a little more seriously, and didn't just slap on a dress for a few minutes - then it'd be way offensive.

That's kind of how I felt about it - I mean, seriously - those of you transvestites on this board, or transgenders, or trans-somethings - how many actually look like this guy did? It's obvious that they're not portraying trasvestites, they're portraying putting on an external appearance that's supposed to hide what the person/object really is - in contrast to an example of what it 'should' look like.

Some people look for battles in everything though...

bloodycape
Sep 12, 2006, 11:11 PM
so when can we see these new ads?