Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
My Intel Core Duo is normally about 42-50 degrees celcius (give or take, sometimes more or less) while booted in OS X 10.4.7 (and I have the latest firmware update, etc.)

right now it is saying 82 degrees celcius (I have it on the side with a small oscillating fan blowing directly on the bottom of the case [stationary though, not oscillating]). Normally this seems to shave a few degrees of the temperature.

I am doing something rather CPU intensive at the moment, importing a feature length MP4 file into iMovie. I have about 15 minutes left until this import is done.

Will this temp harm my CPU or other internal components? I checked the temp with CoreDuoTemp as well as iStat Pro (a widget) - both latest versions. Both agree on the current temperature.

Just don't want to hurt my Mac. :) Thanks.

P.S. The bottom of the Mac Mini feels warm to the touch but not hot.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
AnthonyKinyon said:
My Intel Core Duo is normally about 42-50 degrees celcius (give or take, sometimes more or less) while booted in OS X 10.4.7 (and I have the latest firmware update, etc.)

right now it is saying 82 degrees celcius (I have it on the side with a small oscillating fan blowing directly on the bottom of the case [stationary though, not oscillating]). Normally this seems to shave a few degrees of the temperature.

I am doing something rather CPU intensive at the moment, importing a feature length MP4 file into iMovie. I have about 15 minutes left until this import is done.

Will this temp harm my CPU or other internal components? I checked the temp with CoreDuoTemp as well as iStat Pro (a widget) - both latest versions. Both agree on the current temperature.

Just don't want to hurt my Mac. :) Thanks.

P.S. The bottom of the Mac Mini feels warm to the touch but not hot.

If you can cook steak and eggs on a macbook pro and they still run fine I think its pretty safe to say your little mac mini will be just fine..IMO. :)

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
JMies419 said:
If you can cook steak and eggs on a macbook pro and they still run fine I think its pretty safe to say your little mac mini will be just fine..IMO. :)

Thanks. :) So what's the story with eggs and steak? True story?

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
No, it wont hurt your computer, All macs automatically shut down if the temps get high enough to do damage. I think it's 125C? Although my Macbook Pro never ets NEAR the 82° C you reported.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Xander562 said:
No, it wont hurt your computer, All macs automatically shut down if the temps get high enough to do damage. I think it's 125C? Although my Macbook Pro never ets NEAR the 82° C you reported.

Thanks all. Import is done and now the CPU temp is 52-54 degrees Celcius. Big improvement there. :)

kered22

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Torrance, CA
JMies419 said:
I'll take the steak medium and the eggs over easy. :D

You should be fine temp wise Anthony. :) I just encoded a couple of vids out of iMovie into H.264, I've neve monitored the temp but there is always a slightly warm draft coming out the vent. As long as that part isn't blocked or the back of the mini is 2 inches from a wall or other solid object (reflecting the hot air right back), it'll be fine.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
kered22 said:
I'll take the steak medium and the eggs over easy. :D

You should be fine temp wise Anthony. :) I just encoded a couple of vids out of iMovie into H.264, I've neve monitored the temp but there is always a slightly warm draft coming out the vent. As long as that part isn't blocked or the back of the mini is 2 inches from a wall or other solid object (reflecting the hot air right back), it'll be fine.

Thank you. I have the spinning beach ball in iMovie HD now. It says "importing" "Time remaining: less than a minute" and "force quit" says it is "not responding" The file is approx. 1.4 GB. I am hoping its not truly frozen but just busy. How long should this take? I have 1 GB RAM and only Safari is open besides iMovie at this point.

kered22

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Torrance, CA
Just let it go, it's a big file and iMovie imports video as DV which is uncompressed video. It takes time to process all that, just disregard the Not responding message in Force Quit, it's working just fine. :)

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
kered22 said:
Just let it go, it's a big file and iMovie imports video as DV which is uncompressed video. It takes time to process all that, just disregard the Not responding message in Force Quit, it's working just fine. :)

You were right. :) I suspected as much but am admittedly, a bit inexperienced in this area. :) Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.