Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sluthy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2002
Bundaberg, Qld. Australia
Hello, I downloaded a Flash file off Newgrounds, and it appears to save your progress into a cookie or something similar on your computer. Problem is, it must do this onto the computer's default temp folder or something, as I have it on a flash drive (using Portable Firefox) but my progress isn't being transferred PC to PC. Is there any way to manually edit the Flash code to save the data locally onto the flash drive instead? I don't have Flash MX or anything (any open source alternatives?) and opening it in Notepad or similar just returns ~8MB of rubbish.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
sluthy said:
Hello, I downloaded a Flash file off Newgrounds, and it appears to save your progress into a cookie or something similar on your computer. Problem is, it must do this onto the computer's default temp folder or something, as I have it on a flash drive (using Portable Firefox) but my progress isn't being transferred PC to PC. Is there any way to manually edit the Flash code to save the data locally onto the flash drive instead? I don't have Flash MX or anything (any open source alternatives?) and opening it in Notepad or similar just returns ~8MB of rubbish.

If its a .SWF file you can't just open it and modify it. Its only a movie, not the actual file to edit. And yes, you would need a version of Flash to edit it as I don't recall hearing of any open source Flash editors.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Even if you had access to the original source, you still aren't going to be able to change it to save your progress to the Flash drive. For security reasons, Flash apps run in a "sandbox"-they don't have general access to your file system.

You'd need to move your cookies folder to the Flash drive, somehow.

Now, the option to put your cookies on your USB device seems like a nice feature for Portable Firefox so you could:
1. Suggest this feature to developers working on Portable Firefox, or
2. Compile your own version of Portable Firefox and make this change yourself... you could even become an open source developer for PF yourself and contribute the change back.
Really, PF ideally should not be storing anything on the host computer once a session ends, so non-temporary cookies definitely belong on the portable storage device.

sluthy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2002
Bundaberg, Qld. Australia
I've had a look now, and it stores it's data in (on a Windows machine at least) /Documents and Settings/*username*/Application Data/Macromedia/*dependent on configuration*/ssfdata.sol (does that .sol suffix indicate that I am indeed SOL? :D). When the program is saved locally, the data is in /localhost/. I COULD back up that .sol file onto the flash drive each time I quit and put it into the localhost folder every time I start it, but it just seems a bit too much of a workaround.

The developer has replied in another forum that it can't do this as Flash sees it as a security risk and won't allow it fullstop (fair point). And seeing as this issue is pretty much independent of Firefox, making any changes do that would be (good for own personal skill and the benefit of mankind etc., but still) irrelevant. Thanks anyway. I'll look into that Gordon thing though, sounds interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.