Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ExtremeTech reports that Tzero Technologies and Analog Devices have announced a prototype wireless HDMI interface. The standards-based system allows manufacturers to stream high definition signals between audio/video equipment (TVs, DVD players).

The standard calls for link reliability of at least 95 percent, packet error rate of less than 1 in one hundred million, interference resistances for microwaves and cordless phones, and the ability to process three or more HD streams at 10 meters.

According to the article, the system will be demonstrated to various manufacturers over the next few months and be available for purchase in November.

While this announcement is not related to Apple, recent rumors have indicated that Apple could introduce a wireless video device next week. Of course, if Apple's device is intended to stream iTunes-downloadable movies, high definition video capabilities would likely not be required.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
If It Ain't Hi-Def It's DOA

Macrumors said:
While this announcement is not related to Apple, recent rumors have indicated that Apple could introduce a wireless video device next week. Of course, if Apple's device is intended to stream iTunes-downloadable movies, high definition video capabilities would certainly not be required.
According to whom? If it ain't High-Def it's DOA. :rolleyes: The idea of buying standard definition anything seems abhorent to me. Once you see and become accustomed to high-definition television - and particularly the 16x9 aspect ratio on say an Apple 23" or Dell 24" 1920 x 1200 display, I dont' see how anyone will want to view much less even purchase SD content any more whatsoever.

From my point of view, SD Video and all of its content are historical artifacts of the 20th century.

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
kresh said:
I don't think moving HD content around your house is the real issue, it's getting it there.

Downloading you mean? It would be hard to believe this device will be useful yet.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Multimedia said:
According to whom? If it ain't High-Def it's DOA. :rolleyes:

i'm going to go out on a limb and say that Apple is not going to offer downloads that require HDMI-level bandwidth streaming. but I do see the misinterpretation. I edited it to say "likely not".

arn

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
Hey cool, one of my many meaningless, would-be, "maybe-it-has-something-to-do-with-apple" submitions to MacRumors finally made it to the front page :cool: :D ;)

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
One more thing

Oh, and one more thing: check out our new miniRAID for storing all of your HD content and backups for Time Machine.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
This doesn't seem very useful for desk to livingroom streaming-- 10m just isn't enough, especially if there are walls. This seems like a way to ease setup-- stack the components without the need to get behind the rack to run cables...

That in itself is valuable.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Yeah, it takes long enough getting a regular movie. Too bad Internet speeds suck here in the US, unlike Europe and whatnot. Cool concept tho. Im sure it'll be popular someday.

Barabas

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2006
An apple RAID-NAS would be a dream come true. If not the new Maxtor one seems sweet with it's built in iTunes support.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Agree with the most people.....if we get wHDMI.....where do we get the HD content :confused:

Now if they can fix that....:D

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
skymaXimus said:
Maybe 2006 will be the year of HD

:)

I belive that was 2005.....Final Cut Pro/Express, iMove, H.264....all went HD or had someting to do with HD.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
kresh said:
Still doesn't solve the issue of getting HD content from Apple's servers to your living room.

You're right it's really going to kill the whole movie thing even though you are getting a decent product to play it on you still need a decent connection to get the movies fast.

prady16

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Right There --->
There seem to be just too many potential bottlenecks to the entire system. Downloading the hi-def movies in the first place, why stream from a box to a hi-def display 10m away (instead of possibly docking your ipod on it), quality of the audio/video, interference from other sources, etc.

Although i can see i possible scenario where i would like to use such a system. Imagine users requesting or searching for movies through the high def tv wirelessly linked to a black box (computer) connected to your wireless network downloading movies from torrents or iTunes Movie Store and streaming it to the tv once it is downloaded! That would be interesting. But basically what i am thinking of here is cutting the cord between the monitor and the cpu and establishing a high bandwidth wireless connection capable of streaming content between the two.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Broadcasters Can't Even Get Their High-Def Transmission Act Together

Platform said:
Agree with the most people.....if we get wHDMI.....where do we get the HD content :confused:

Now if they can fix that....:D
Yeah, I can't even get my FOX affiliate to broadcast HD half the time because of incompetent "engineers" who superimpose the SD signal over the HD. I have to phone them every other day to tell them they are not transmitting HD. Last night they broadcast the season premiere's of House and Standoff in SD in my little market just south of Cupertino. Can you believe it?! :mad:

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2003
Multimedia said:
Yeah, I can't even get my FOX affiliate to broadcast HD half the time because of incompetent "engineers" who superimpose the SD signal over the HD. I have to phone them every other day to tell them they are not transmitting HD. Last night they broadcast the season premiere's of House and Standoff in SD in my little market just south of Cupertino. Can you believe it?! :mad:

That sucks, house looked great in OTA HD here in NE Ohio. Strange show, never saw it before.

Back on topic, Apple has some strides to make to catch up with microsoft in this area. I love macs, and have a few, but you CANNOT beat microsoft for having solutions to problems that just work -

See above, last night I recorded "House" in HD on my media center pc, while watching it live streamed through my XBOX 360 in high definition.

All this, for around 1000 bucks, I can watch HD movies anytime streamed over my network (Yes, its tough to find content) as well as standard def, pics, etc, and it all works.

So, come on apple, if your going to give it a go, give it a solid go, noone wants to watch movies on a 13" laptop, we want them streamed to our high def bigscreens!

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
I Think This Market Is Not Interested In Buying SD Content, Only HD Content Will Sell

arn said:
i'm going to go out on a limb and say that Apple is not going to offer downloads that require HDMI-level bandwidth streaming. but I do see the misinterpretation. I edited it to say "likely not".

arn
Yes I understand it will not likely be required. I am saying that the problem with the offering is that it is not engineered to be exclusively High-Definition which, as I see it, is the only type of content for this type of service to be able to atttract customers. I am theorizing that SD content is no longer of interest to the market that will adopt these new purchasing paradigms.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Core 2 Duo iMacs Released! Up to 2.33GHz Merom • 2.16GHz 24" $1999 + $250 For 2.33GHz

phatspider said:
New iMacs released :

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore

Couldnt see it mentioned anywhere
Yes it's on ours too. How come not on the cover of MacRumors!! 24" $1999 2.16GHz Standard with 2.33GHz option for $250 more.

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 128MB SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM Add $125

"The NVIDIA 7300 GT that comes standard in your 24-inch iMac provides amazing performance for most graphics tasks and games. Upgrade to the NVIDIA 7600 GT with 256MB of video memory if you need additional performance in 3D and graphics-intensive applications such as multiplayer gaming or 3D animation development.

Your iMac also offers built-in support for attaching an external monitor using either of two modes. Extended Desktop mode allows you to work on two monitors at once for increased desktop real-estate (and increased productivity). Video mirroring is useful when presenting, so you can see the same image on a projector that you're seeing on your Apple display."

Supports 2GB Sticks of RAM. Offer one for +$750 - total of 3GB RAM probably could have 4. 667 DDR2 SDRAM. Base is 2 x 512 for 1GB included.

Congratulations on scooping MacRumors phatspider. :D

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Multimedia said:

WOW, sounds like your local kinda blows. :-(.

you may want to get directv and see if you can get "distance" hd signals for your west coast feed. ie the Los Angeles HD stations.

back to topic: glad to hear about this progress. could help apple transmit HD signals. I can see some good uses for this. but for me.... i honestly believe wired is sturdier and better. only so much frequency, i got wireless phones and wifi for my mac.... so.... won't want a system which can further interfer with each other too much.

that said i am optimistic about the advancements everyone is making.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Macrumors said:
prototype wireless HDMI interface... Streams HD signal between A/V.

If you can't download it (and think about it, we're talking download speeds for say early 2007 maybe) then you merely have to have it on a DVD player. Laptop runs the DVD/bluray (heck, they gotta upgrade MB in 2007 too, right?) and streams to TV. If it streams HD it should be able to stream everything else on your lappy? The oldest business just got HES capabilities? ;)

Or you could just get the large DL from Apple. Broadband is only gonna get cheaper/go faster folks. ADSL 2+ is spreading, and whilst France may whup America's ass currently, there are plenty of other hotspots in the world with decent enough connections to get movies even in HD fast...Remember how small files (e.g. mp3's) used to take an age to download? Now folks can download iso's of films, and lossless albums etc etc.

For H264 at acceptable levels, you could store it on a 6G video ipod, nd if you want to put it through a TV you can with this widget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.