PDA

View Full Version : What even happend to the Radeon 9700?

Ironclad
Mar 27, 2003, 09:02 AM
I'm ready to buy a new Powermac since the dual 1.42's are now finally shipping, but am hestitating because I would like to get a machine with the Radeon 9700 card. Anyone have ANY idea when Apple is going to start shipping these things? "Soon", as is noted is the Apple Store options list, is getting to be a little late.

:confused:

MacsRgr8
Mar 27, 2003, 02:44 PM
I would love to know that too. I have a Dual 1.25 (FW 800), and I would like the 9700 in it aswell. When I check the ATI site, they only state the 9700 Mac Edition as OEM, and even those aren't shipping yet.
I wonder if the retail version will ever be shipped..... Even the 9800 is in full production now (for PC), isn't it?

MacsRgr8
Mar 27, 2003, 02:49 PM
Dear Ironclad,

I was wondering how Apple's marketshare is over there, in Saudi.
I've heard it's pretty good in the Middle East. Can you confirm that, or is M$ the big bully like over here in Holland.... (>90%)

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 27, 2003, 03:02 PM
Good question about the 9700, maybe they are switching to the 9800. To Bad you cant just call apple and talk with someone with knowledge. Also here is a little food for thought, nvidea and ibm will be working together on their chips etc. So i would see this as a signal that Macs in the future will be using both the 970 and video boards that have ibm and nvidea's name on them. The 9700 or 9800 are the ones to have at the moment but who knows how long it will take apple to make these.

Wes
Mar 27, 2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Ironclad
I'm ready to buy a new Powermac since the dual 1.42's are now finally shipping, but am hestitating because I would like to get a machine with the Radeon 9700 card. Anyone have ANY idea when Apple is going to start shipping these things? "Soon", as is noted is the Apple Store options list, is getting to be a little late.

Whoah, I used to live in Saudi and I thought I was the only mac user, whereabouts are you?

MacsRgr8
Mar 27, 2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Wes
Whoah, I used to live in Saudi and I thought I was the only mac user, whereabouts are you?

Right... there goes my postitive impression of Apple's marketshare in the Middel East.... unless you were the only computer user over there :D

Ironclad
Mar 27, 2003, 10:17 PM
To answer the question about Apple market share in the Middle East, - its very low. The thing that sells here is cheap - and with so much hot software and hardware available for the PC here out of Asia, the PC has 99% of the business. There are some private Macs people lug in and a few stores catering to Westerers sell imacs here too. We are a dedicated breed here.

My real concern is about the Radeon 9700 though - the announcement was made at the same time as the newer machines finally coming available - I wonder what "problems" are keeping it away - maybe the Radeon board & the 1.42's generate too much heat together in the case and that is why they have delayed them.

:rolleyes:

Sun Baked
Mar 27, 2003, 10:27 PM
ARS Technica - What is ATI up to? (if anything) (http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?q=Y&a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=6550956755&p=1)

iJon
Mar 27, 2003, 11:02 PM
too bad we cant get the 9500 pro, thats the best way to go.

iJon

MacsRgr8
Mar 28, 2003, 06:26 AM
Better than GeForce 4 Ti, but cheaper than 9700?
maybe the 9200 (speed bumped 9000) would be a nice cheap alternative. "We like having options" :)

ottonian
Mar 28, 2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Ironclad

I was doing the waiting thing for about a month before I said to myself F..k this! And now am the proud owner of a smoking 1.42 Dualie! It's taking me alot of time to get it stuffed with software and older files so I'm glad I'm not waiting for a card whose speed I may not even have noticed. Besides, I've heard rumors that the drivers are a bit shotty. Viva Nvidia!