PDA

View Full Version : G5 64 bit???

anim8or
Sep 6, 2006, 08:34 AM
Am i right in saying that the G5 iMacs are 64 bit processors....?

Queso
Sep 6, 2006, 08:36 AM
Yes you are. All models with G5 in the title are fully 64-bit hardware.

Software wise, you'll need to wait for Leopard to take advantage. Tiger only supports 64-bit UNIX layer apps.

Chundles
Sep 6, 2006, 08:37 AM
Am i right in saying that the G5 iMacs are 64 bit processors....?

All G5 processors are 64 bit. The G3, G4 and Core Duo are 32 bit, the new Core 2 Duo is 64 bit.

anim8or
Sep 6, 2006, 08:38 AM
Yes you are. All models with G5 in the title are fully 64-bit hardware.

Software wise, you'll need to wait for Leopard to take advantage. Tiger only supports 64-bit UNIX layer apps.

Thank you!

I am very tempted to buy a new 24" iMac but if my 20" G5 is still reasonably 'future worthy' then i think i can wait!

Does anybody know if you can update the graphics cards in the Rev A G5s?

robbieduncan
Sep 6, 2006, 09:18 AM
Thank you!

I am very tempted to buy a new 24" iMac but if my 20" G5 is still reasonably 'future worthy' then i think i can wait!

You cannot upgrade the graphics in any iMac (unless the ones out today are very different). You do not have a graphics card. The graphics hardware is part of the logic board.

BornAgainMac
Sep 6, 2006, 09:50 AM

Edit: Sorry. I was thinking of the Powermac.

Yes. I went to a Apple store to purchase mine. It really made a huge difference from the stock card. I have the Revision A Powermac G5 at 2Ghz.

Even with my G5 maxed out, it still can't beat my MBP with encoding performance. The MBP is twice the speed for H.264 encoding. But the Powermac G5 gets much better frame rates with Quake 4 when both are using Universal binaries. This is because the graphics card was so much more powerful.

Dreadnought
Sep 6, 2006, 12:14 PM
A rev A PM G5 has AGP inside. The fastest Mac upgrade card for it is the Ati X800XT. Or you can look around at Strangedogs and they can flash an agp pc card for you.