PDA

View Full Version : NEED a Universal Media Reader...

mangoman
Mar 27, 2003, 09:37 AM
Requirements:
1. Needs to read the usual 6 types of media
2. Needs to read "RAW" files (as in shooting TIFFs, etc. (I've heard some readers can't)
3. Needs to work in OS X.

ANYone have any recommendations?

Bear
Mar 27, 2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by mangoman
Requirements:
1. Needs to read the usual 6 types of media
2. Needs to read "RAW" files (as in shooting TIFFs, etc. (I've heard some readers can't)
3. Needs to work in OS X.

ANYone have any recommendations?
Any recognizable anme brand reader should be good. In reality, a lot of them are the same guts inside, just packaged for different companies.

As for being able to deal with fle types, that is not up to the reader, that is up to the program you are trying to read the file with.

TIFFs are not raw files. It's a well defined noncompressed format. Nikon .NEF files (for example) are RAW files, as in the RAW 12-bit data directly from the CCD as well as a block of info about the shooting conditions. Some camera models have a sensor (CCD or CMOS) raw mode - with these you have to make sure the image software you are using can deal with the file formats.

Most (if not all) readers should work fine with OS X with no drivers added.

mangoman
Mar 27, 2003, 09:50 AM
Thanks, Bear.

mangoman
Mar 28, 2003, 11:59 AM
Aiiight. Here's what I just picked up (should arrive early next week):

ORANGE MICRO ORANGELINK+ FIREWIRE/USB2.0 PCI CARD

and

IOGEAR's 6 in 1 USB 2.0 Media Card Reader

Anyone out there think that three of my four USB 2.0 ports on the Orange card are gonna sit empty? In other words, I'm hoping that USB 2.0 devices aren't gonna disappear in the near future...

Bear
Mar 28, 2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by mangoman
Anyone out there think that three of my four USB 2.0 ports on the Orange card are gonna sit empty? In other words, I'm hoping that USB 2.0 devices aren't gonna disappear in the near future...
You can use the ports for USB 1.1 or 2.0 devices. I suggest that you use the ports for any excess 1.1 devices and avoid a USB hub. That is if you have enough USB devices to warrent that.

mangoman
Mar 28, 2003, 12:10 PM
You're right. Good point. I DO need to use a hub, even with this new Orange card, but at least I can get some of the USB 1.1 devices rearranged. Thanks again, Bear.