Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Both The Baltimore Sun and Business Week Online look at Apple's recent appointment of Al Gore to its Board of Directors:
[BW] "With its stock price down over the past two years, the last thing Apple shareholders want or need is a celebrity director with zero business experience, aside from the business of fund-raising and politicking. Gore might make a wonderful contribution to Apple in some other capacity. But Jobs & Co. should think long and hard about the message it sends to shareholders with this appointment."

[TBS] "Considering that most corporate board members have deep experience in managing for-profit operations, years of government service and ownership of a Macintosh seem thin qualifications. 'I cannot identify anything he can contribute to the board,' said Charles Wolf, an analyst with New York-based investment bank Needham & Co. 'He hasn't been in private industry, he hasn't been a manager at any point in his career, he has no background in economics.'"
http://www.sunspot.net/technology/c...,0,7125241.column?coll=bal-business-headlines
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2003/tc20030327_1562_tc056.htm

mikulashek

macrumors member
I myself am wondering what are his qualifications for the job, I mean other than helping run the country. I hear he has done a lot to help out the tech industry, and the upbringing of the internet, but I would like to know what exactly is he going to do and how is he going to help Apple off the ground? Why exactly did Apple bring him in?

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
He understands how computers and the Internet works. He was one the major players in bringing the Internet to the public. And he's obviously a Mac user. That's how he qualifies. ;)

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Actuall besides his tech qualifications I was thinking it was a great move by Apple for sheer name recognition, I mean he was "actually" the favorite for the Presidental run so enough people trust him and everyone knows who he is, this may make people think "Al Gore is on the board for Apple Computers, hmmm what makes them so special?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.