Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh2022

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
Im looking for an architecture mac app, I have been researching Vecor Work, Archicad, and others but I am not sure what is the best one for me. I am going to school now for Architecture, We have to use AutoCad and SolidWorks in school, I am looking to do some extra work on the side, I am mainly interested in designing the floorplan of a house, not quite so much as the 3D aspect of it, but I may be looking into that in the near future.

What program would be best for me to work on, ArchiCad, VectorWorks, or another program?

thanks for the help

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
japasneezemonk said:
ArchiCad is good, its also UB to intel, and the Educational version is a free download.
I agree, i use archiCAD and it's a very easy and powerful program, i would try not to use AutoCAD if you could, although it's the Professional standard, it has a VERY steep learning curve.

Josh2022

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
japasneezemonk said:
ArchiCad is good, its also UB to intel, and the Educational version is a free download.

Hey, thankyou for that information, I seemed to have missed that link to the free download before. The watermark on the free version is no big deal to me, thankyou again!

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Josh2022 said:
Hey, thankyou for that information, I seemed to have missed that link to the free download before. The watermark on the free version is no big deal to me, thankyou again!
I believe you can also get the Student version for cheap, $70-$80 an doesnt have a watermark, the only thing as far as i can tell, is if you print something, there's a border that says it's the Student version so that people dont take advantage.

jrichie

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Aus
I downloaded Archicad 10 student very recently, and it would not install on my Macbook. I was under the impression it wasn't UB?

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
Archicad is free for students as someone else pointed out. Other things to add to your student drafting toolbox are Edrawing and Sketchup. I'm pretty sure the student version of Vectorworks is under $300 but if you have an Intel iMac you can probably get AutoCAD for cheaper. As an Engineering Student, I also like to use Maple, Matlab, and Solidworks as well. Does anyone know if there is a student version of Ashlar Vellum? I have heard that that program is good too...Another nice little program is Physics 101 SE (it has all of the formulas where you just fill in the values for college Physics 1 and 2) but I'm not sure if would be of much use to an architecture major.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
I use Alias and Solidworks..but both in Windows. While I would love to work in the OSX environment, at least now our machines can run these programs now.

Solidworks isnt good for designing spaces, but I know people that use Vectorworks for such things.

xnu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2004
Vectorworks is great... I use it in my 6 person firm. Along with the Mac it is the one program that has let me concentrate on design and not computers. It is easy to use, powerful enough for almost any project and is cost effective. It also handles AutoCad drawings well enough that I have no problems converting my engineers drawings for our use.

Well know Mac firms such as Bolin Cywinski Jackson (designers of the Apple Stores and Bill Gates House, and a great deal more) I think are using Archicad.

Architosh is a well known site for architects using Macs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.