Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightdeposit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Hey~
there are some informative, confounding and amusing threads on this board.
I just yesterday got a black MB 80gHD 1GB ram and I am psyched.
Heres my situation. I have a Lacie 160 GB external drive with all my mp3s on it. I told Itunes where my new 'itunes music folder' location was and it, meaning Itunes, now has all the song titles. But, every time I open ITunes with the Lacie plugged in, I get the color wheel and have to force quit b/c Itunes is 'not responding'. It played a few MP3s a couple of times, but the minute I would skip ahead, it froze.

I called Apple, and we first tested it by unplugging the Lacie and tried to import a CD into itunes. It played those MP3s, however, it froze on the importing of the last song and I had to force quit. I have read another thread on here about that issue of freezing up on the importing of the last song and thats not making me happy to hear about that issue. I hope thats not part of my issue, although they are probaly related...

We then reinstalled Itunes from the install disc and rebooted the computer, then I got 'updating itunes playlist' with the blue bar, which froze and I got the color wheel again. I have installed the new updates and cant think of what else to do. The tech guy suggested taking it in to the store. Ugh. There is nothing more depressing than shelling out over 2 grand and not have the ****ing thing work right. I mean, I know there are bigger fish to fry but WTF?

If anyone has an insight or empathy I would greatly appreciate it!

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Could there be a bad sector on the Lacie? It might generate read errors and hence iTunes freezes when it tried to read the unreadable mp3.

nightdeposit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
generik said:
Could there be a bad sector on the Lacie? It might generate read errors and hence iTunes freezes when it tried to read the unreadable mp3.

i suppose, but i know nothing about this... how would one check for bad sectors? i dunno, i suppose i will be with all the others at the genius desk tomorrow... it scares me that itunes was freezing up upon importing a cd as well, that seems related somehow to the whole problem. thanks for your input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.