Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Wasn't an update rumoured to be coming in the next week or so? I am about to buy it, and don't want to have to upgrade right away.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I just received my crossgrade from FCP 4.5 this week, so expect to see an update this week or next. I bought 4.5 a month before 5 came out...

Actually my guess is spring sometime, probably reasonably close to the release of Leopard. I'm not sure when NAB is (April?) but that seems like a likely release venue, especially since that is where new FCP releases have been announced in the past.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
mduser63 said:
I just received my crossgrade from FCP 4.5 this week, so expect to see an update this week or next. I bought 4.5 a month before 5 came out...

Actually my guess is spring sometime, probably reasonably close to the release of Leopard. I'm not sure when NAB is (April?) but that seems like a likely release venue, especially since that is where new FCP releases have been announced in the past.

A crossgrade? Sorry, I don't know what that is.

Also, since you seem to know something about this, do you know when the last upgrade was?

Also, if I understand correctly, FCP is no longer available but must be bought as part of FCS. Is that correct?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
netdog said:
A crossgrade? Sorry, I don't know what that is.

Also, since you seem to know something about this, do you know when the last upgrade was?

Also, if I understand correctly, FCP is no longer available but must be bought as part of FCS. Is that correct?

Crossgrade is the word Apple uses for upgrading to the Universal Binary version of Final Cut Studio. They gave really deep discounts for upgrades to FCS 5.1 in order to lower the barrier to buying Intel machines, even allowing academic licensees to upgrade (not normally allowed). Anyway, the last major upgrade to Final Cut was at NAB 2005 which was late April/early May of 2005. At that time, the former Production Suite was renamed Final Cut Studio, and all the applications received new versions (FCP 4.5->5, DVD SP 3->4, Motion -> Motion 2, etc). This spring, Apple released 5.1 which was mostly an update to make FCS Universal, but also included a number of other enhancements. Apple does tend to release free updates to FCS that actually include new features as opposed to just bug fixes.

You are correct that Final Cut Pro is no longer available separately. I have mixed feelings about that, but all in all it's probably good to have all of the applications in FCS if you're planning to do anything serious. I personally use every one of them, and have since before they were exclusively available together.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
My bet would be NAB next april.

It will include the new version of DVD studio pro that will be able to author HDDVD and blu-ray discs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.