PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook 12" and USB 2.0

rudyray
Sep 7, 2006, 01:31 AM
This may be a total dullard's question, but does my PB 12" 867Mhz actually have USB 2.0? I recently bought a 1GB flash stick and have been pulling my hair out over the slow transfer speeds. Since it works at full 2.0 speed on my brother's 1.5Ghz PB 12", I figured something had broken in my computer. But after reading through the forums here I've started to suspect that my laptop was gelded from the beginning.

Trouble is, I've had my Mac for three years now and I've always avoided USB in favour of FireWire, for obvious reasons. But that means I can't tell if I had faster transfer speeds before and now something's changed, or if it was always slow and I never noticed.

My System Profiler tells me I have USB at 12mb/s. I find it mind-boggling that a cheapo PC laptop bought at the same time as my Mac would be able to out-perform it in this regard. Just doesn't make any sense from a design point of view.

On the other hand, I don't actually believe that a USB Bus could spontaneously degrade, I guess I just want to know for certain that there's nothing freakish going on. I know my laptop will die eventually, I just don't want to upgrade to a MBP until they get the next revision out, at the very least.

WildCowboy
Sep 7, 2006, 01:39 AM
Yep...the first generation 12" PBs only had USB 1.1...

California
Sep 7, 2006, 02:53 AM
Yeah and unlike the Titainum powerbooks, that 867mhz powerbook doesn't have a pci slot so you can't add USB 2.0 like you can to the Tibooks with 1.0 usb.