PDA

View Full Version : 17" PB CD-R is 16x?

FlashBIOS
Mar 27, 2003, 08:27 PM
According to this thread (http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150774) (and this (http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=12170) one) the DWDB firmware that ships with the 17" PowerBook's SuperDrive is able to burn CD-R at 16x. Can anyone else with Toast (or some other utility that tells the drive speed) confirm this?

BIG bonus if true. Too bad it appears that DVD-R is still 1x.

Over Achiever
Mar 27, 2003, 08:38 PM
I can confirm that it is 16x, both based on what Toast says and on the time it took to burn a full disk.

FlashBIOS
Mar 27, 2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Over Achiever
I can confirm that it is 16x, both based on what Toast says and on the time it took to burn a full disk.

That is too cool. :cool: Since Apple is still saying (http://a608.g.akamai.net/7/608/51/3b3ec3523880c1/www.apple.com/powerbook/pdf/PowerBookG417_DS_022003.pdf) that it burns at 8x, I'll take a secretive doubling of performance any day. Can Toast tell you if it still reads at 24x?

bb0ys
Mar 27, 2003, 09:01 PM
Is the 12" powerbook anyfaster than 8x???

daniel77
Mar 27, 2003, 09:54 PM
gosh, for near 4k apple should toss in a faster optical drive. dear god :P my dads 2k compaq evo n610c came with a built in 24x drive:D

Nipsy
Mar 27, 2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by daniel77
gosh, for near 4k $3299 apple should toss in a faster optical drive. dear god :P my dads 2k compaq evo n610c came with a built in 24x drive:D

And how fast does that burn DVDs?

iJon
Mar 27, 2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by bb0ys
Is the 12" powerbook anyfaster than 8x???
24x is in the new powerbooks. Im not sure about the superdrive one though, im sure its the same as the 17 inch powerbook.

iJon

FlashBIOS
Mar 28, 2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by iJon
24x is in the new powerbooks. Im not sure about the superdrive one though, im sure its the same as the 17 inch powerbook.

iJon

Actually SuperDrive in the 12", while the same drive as the 17", has an older firmware and only does 8x CD-R.

Speculation is that while the drive may be designed for a higher speed, not all of them test at that speed (a lot like CPUs). Apple sets the speed into the firmware at what all drives can handle so some people don't get faster drives than others with the same computer.

Over Achiever
Mar 28, 2003, 07:40 AM
FlashBIOS,

Where exactly is Glyndon, MN btw? I'm located in the cities, and have never heard of Glyndon. :)

daniel77
Mar 28, 2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Nipsy
And how fast does that burn DVDs?

no need for sarcasm. I never said that it could burn cd's. why dont you take that enormous chip off your shoudler, how about that?

FlashBIOS
Mar 28, 2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Over Achiever
FlashBIOS,

Where exactly is Glyndon, MN btw? I'm located in the cities, and have never heard of Glyndon. :)

Heh, that is because it nearly doesn't exist. ;) It is a town of about 900 people a few minutes from Fargo, ND.

bb0ys
Mar 28, 2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by FlashBIOS
Actually SuperDrive in the 12", while the same drive as the 17", has an older firmware and only does 8x CD-R.

Speculation is that while the drive may be designed for a higher speed, not all of them test at that speed (a lot like CPUs). Apple sets the speed into the firmware at what all drives can handle so some people don't get faster drives than others with the same computer.

What about the 12" powerbook with the combo drive? Can it burn CDRs at 24x?

bb0ys
Mar 28, 2003, 10:57 AM
My combo drive has the following stats.

Device Revision: BA1D
Product ID: CD-RW CW-8122
Vendor ID: Mat****a

Gelfin
Mar 28, 2003, 11:22 AM
no need for sarcasm. I never said that it could burn cd's. why dont you take that enormous chip off your shoudler, how about that?

Dude, there was no chip on anyone's shoulder. The thing is, people were talking about how fast the drive burns CDs, not how fast it reads them, which, in case you weren't aware, are usually different numbers. According to the specs for the Superdrive on Apple's site, the drive does read at 24x, although somebody should verify that it's not faster, since the specs also say it burns at 8x, when it actually burns at 16x (which is where this all started).

iJon
Mar 28, 2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by bb0ys
What about the 12" powerbook with the combo drive? Can it burn CDRs at 24x?
read my post above, yes it does burn at 24. its smart that apple does this. from burning on my 48x burner on my pc i speed test it. my burner has never broke the 40x barrier, much lest the 36. i think 32 is the best speed, anything else has been a waste in my opinion. then on the other hand i may be doing something wrong to not get these blazing speeds.

iJon

zoikers
Mar 28, 2003, 04:47 PM
Overachiever,

Where are you from in the Twin Cities?

I am currently at Dunn Bros. in Golden Valley surfin wireless on my new 17". What a great machine!

Over Achiever
Mar 28, 2003, 06:34 PM
zoikers

I'm at the U of M, surfing the net outside in the fading twilight...sure its a bit cooler than usual, but its nice to sit outside.:)

FlashBIOS
Mar 28, 2003, 07:18 PM
I forgot to ask this earlier: has the CD-RW speed increased along with CD-R? The Tech Specs say that it should handle CD-RW at 4x.

daniel77
Mar 28, 2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Gelfin
Dude, there was no chip on anyone's shoulder. The thing is, people were talking about how fast the drive burns CDs, not how fast it reads them, which, in case you weren't aware, are usually different numbers. According to the specs for the Superdrive on Apple's site, the drive does read at 24x, although somebody should verify that it's not faster, since the specs also say it burns at 8x, when it actually burns at 16x (which is where this all started).

i was talking about burning, my dad's laptop burns at 24x. i dont know about read speed. its a Compaq EVP N610C

irmongoose
Mar 29, 2003, 12:38 AM
i was talking about burning, my dad's laptop burns at 24x.

Ugh.. and this is a quote from your earlier post...

I never said that it could burn cd's.

Which one is it? :rolleyes:

And Nipsy asked whether it could burn DVDs because by being able to burn CDs AND DVDs it puts the cost up higher, and thus the speeds have to go lower... but Apple still managed to get the CD burning speed up to 16x...

irmongoose

daniel77
Mar 29, 2003, 09:10 PM
it doesnt burn dvds :rolleyes: i made a typo

note: that the 'c' key is right next to the 'd' key on a standard QWERTY keyboard

FlashBIOS
Mar 30, 2003, 07:11 PM
I've been doing some more research into this issue and found this box shot (http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20021002/ct5_35.jpg)

Apparently the CD-RW does max at 4x (so that didn't go up after all) and CD-R at 16x, which is what we can get. I've read (sorry, can't remember where -- it was a forum somewhere) that Apple tried 2x DVD but was ending up with a lot of coasters, so that is why they limited it to 1x.

Now, my big question is that it looks like Toast burn DVD-RAM and DVD-RW, both standards are supported by the UJ-815. I could not find confirmation that Toast supports those standards in this drive however. Has anyone tried?

bb0ys
Mar 30, 2003, 07:35 PM
I was looking for info on the combo drive that comes with the 12" powerbook and found that it burns CDR's at 24x. It's the CW-8122 model. The CW-8121 model is the 8x burner. However, when I select 24x burn speed in iTunes (or Maximum Burn Speed from the same list), the timer claims it will only take about 3 minutes for the full cd (the proper time for a 24x speed). However, the timer decreases 1 second every few seconds so it ends up taking about 8 minutes or so. I'm not sure why this happens. Anyone have a clue?

idkew
Mar 30, 2003, 08:34 PM
it doesnt burn dvds :rolleyes: i made a typo

note: that the 'c' key is right next to the 'd' key on a standard QWERTY keyboard

well, there is your answer. dvd burners are slower than just cd burners. it is a trade off. if you do not want do burn dvd's, i bet you can get a faster cd burner.

and if not, who cares? can that pc run OS X? if not, it is worth nothing to me.

daniel77
Mar 30, 2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by idkew
well, there is your answer. dvd burners are slower than just cd burners. it is a trade off. if you do not want do burn dvd's, i bet you can get a faster cd burner.

and if not, who cares? can that pc run OS X? if not, it is worth nothing to me.

nope it runs win2k pro and it has had an uptime of 3 months so far, we have had it for 3 months

FlashBIOS
Mar 30, 2003, 10:31 PM
Look guys, lets grow up, move on, and focus on my questions! ;)

Let these childish, and might I add off-topic, bickerings end.

irmongoose
Mar 31, 2003, 02:24 AM
You know what I found? My supposedly 1x DVD-R Pioneer drive burned at 2x when I used the 4x Apple DVD-Rs... weird, huh? And it worked fine, too...

irmongoose

Riko19
Mar 31, 2003, 04:46 AM
so if i buy apples 4x DVD discs for my powerbook 17" i will be able to wite at 2 x DVD?

Nice if it is, well when i get my PB soon :(

FlashBIOS
Mar 31, 2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
You know what I found? My supposedly 1x DVD-R Pioneer drive burned at 2x when I used the 4x Apple DVD-Rs... weird, huh? And it worked fine, too...

irmongoose

What computer do you have?

irmongoose
Mar 31, 2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by FlashBIOS
What computer do you have?

The original 15" FP iMac.

irmongoose