PDA

View Full Version : New Safari Public Version... 'Soon'

MacRumors
Mar 27, 2003, 11:22 PM
RailHeadDesign notes (http://www.railheaddesign.com) that a new public version of Safari will be released any day now.

phampton81
Mar 27, 2003, 11:26 PM
Will this be a variant of v67 or do they have something newer coming?

NavyIntel007
Mar 27, 2003, 11:36 PM
They should all be public versions!!!!

maradong
Mar 27, 2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
They should all be public versions!!!!
right,
i ll say the same thing if the guys of apple ask me :D

Kwyjibo
Mar 28, 2003, 12:00 AM
I can't wait. the public needs tabs and better image handling.

j33pd0g
Mar 28, 2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
I can't wait. the public needs tabs and better image handling.

I agree. I know the "Services" can be found in the finder bar but I would also like to see all of OS X's Services added to the contextual menu... (click and hold, or control click and hold) specificaly the Mail... They should also add your addressbook to Mail... that way you could select some text or URL and have it sent to a friend. Maybe there could be an automated sent from/subject that you can change in the prefs in the Safari.app

richie
Mar 28, 2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by j33pd0g
I know the "Services" can be found in the finder bar but I would also like to see all of OS X's Services added to the contextual menu... (click and hold, or control click and hold)

Holy monkey on a stick, that's the best idea I've heard in ages. A simple Services option with drill-through menus, all at a control-click. I've always thought services were cool, but too far away from the current workflow to be of great use, but that's.. wow. :)

Sorry for the offtopic :)

backspinner
Mar 28, 2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
They should all be public versions!!!! did you ever try these versions? all but v62 did suck on different things. most notably the handling of postdata or submitting forms. it wouldn't have been good if these had been public

cionheart
Mar 28, 2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by backspinner
did you ever try these versions? all but v62 did suck on different things. most notably the handling of postdata or submitting forms. it wouldn't have been good if these had been public

Agree. Also, image how difficult it would be for the developers if they get thousands of bug reports for several different versions. The bug report feature can just work if almost every user uses the same version. If they came out with a new version every week this wouldn't be the case.

V.67 crashed my system and I had to do some serious unix hacking to recover without losing something. A lot of people want to have some kind of stability (altought it's a beta) and programmers can't publish a stable version every week.

-- cionheart

Freg3000
Mar 28, 2003, 06:12 AM
Does anyone thing that there is a possibility that Apple removes tabs and autofill in the next released version because they are not yet completed?

os4
Mar 28, 2003, 07:32 AM
I agree. I know the "Services" can be found in the finder bar but I would also like to see all of OS X's Services added to the contextual menu... (click and hold, or control click and hold) specificaly the Mail... They should also add your addressbook to Mail... that way you could select some text or URL and have it sent to a friend. Maybe there could be an automated sent from/subject that you can change in the prefs in the Safari.app

download IceCoffee, a preference pane that enables Services CMM and global menu.

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=13381&db=mac

Mr. Anderson
Mar 28, 2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Freg3000
Does anyone thing that there is a possibility that Apple removes tabs and autofill in the next released version because they are not yet completed?

That thought passed my mind too. Who knows, though? We'll all have to wait and see.

I'd just be happier with improvements in speed in general.

D

pyrotoaster
Mar 28, 2003, 08:27 AM
A new Safari Public Beta is overdue in my opinion. I'm using v67, and it's close to being as bug-free as v60. The only general problem is when you set the tab bar to be always viewable, when you open a new tab, the graphic for the old one doesn't change. Hardly a massive problem.

I think it's quite possible that we'll see public release today. Apple's done a lot to the app, adding AutoFill and tabs, and it's about time they shared those great new features with all of us.

Xero
Mar 28, 2003, 01:55 PM
i just hope its better than v67, because its giving me more problems than v64 did.

look at www.warprecords.com with v67 and try to navigate a bit, good luck.:p

tliptak
Mar 28, 2003, 03:50 PM
v67 is 1.0b, v64 was .87b... Version 1.0 is right around the corner

pncc
Mar 28, 2003, 04:08 PM
Anyone try printing a web page from within v.60? I am running 10.2.4 and web pages print really wacky-poor quality, REALLY poor. I even launched Explorer and print quality is lousy there as well so it must be in the OS not the browser. It is weird that poor print quality is limited to web browsers.

QCassidy352
Mar 29, 2003, 03:49 PM
all I really want is for more web pages to load correctly... a lot of request forms and pages in article databases that I need do not load in Safari v60 and I'm forced to use IE. :(

j33pd0g
Mar 29, 2003, 04:21 PM
I hope I can use the next release of Safari with my web banking. I think if they don't fix compatability issues with web applications, and people have to use ie, they will never be able to crush M$. I hate having to use ie.

I know it's still in the beta stages... but give us a sign... something so the business world can take safari seriously.

Windowlicker
Mar 30, 2003, 10:28 AM
the only think I can whine about is that it's been quite a while since we got the last public beta..

FattyMembrane
Mar 30, 2003, 01:20 PM
webcore version 68 was released a few days ago so the new pb will most likely be based on that version. safari is about as complete as i need for a full time browser (it's the only browser on my computer). the only missing features are click-and-hold menus with services built in, a "block all ads from this server" option like mozilla, and it should definitely store its bookmarks in the addressbook database rather than within the app.

macfreak
Mar 30, 2003, 07:46 PM
I really hope Apple fixes the problem with Safari not working with the Hotmail website. Every time I try to log in, the page doesn't do anything.

When the heck are they going to release the next version? It's been long enough...we deserve tabs!

notkevin
Mar 31, 2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Macrumors
RailHeadDesign notes (http://www.railheaddesign.com) that a new public version of Safari will be released any day now.

That is a mind numbing prediction. :rolleyes:

Tokyo
Mar 31, 2003, 07:23 AM
I've been using v67 for a bit, and I like the tabbed browsing--very nicely done--but I still won't use Safari.

Why not? No way to turn off the consarned animated GIFs or Flash animations. I for one cannot comfortably read a page of anything with a dozen annoying cartoons flashing and waving from all corners of the screen. I know ads are necessary for many sites to function, but when I can't read a page for all the distractions it's no good to me anyway.

Wish I could use Safari, but not yet. I'll keep using Mozilla, with the GIFs turned off (and Flash disabled in the Preferences folder in the Library).

Tokyo

PyroTurtle
Mar 31, 2003, 01:17 PM
to block banners and the such, use pitthelmet i beieve it is called...blocks things very well

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18158

macdong
Mar 31, 2003, 06:55 PM
I hope I can use the next release of Safari with my web banking. I think if they don't fix compatability issues with web applications, and people have to use ie, they will never be able to crush M$. I hate having to use ie.

I know it's still in the beta stages... but give us a sign... something so the business world can take safari seriously.

That is definitely something they have to fix, quickly.
By the way, may I suggest you use Navigator for online banking? :D

Kid Red
Mar 31, 2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by tliptak
v67 is 1.0b, v64 was .87b... Version 1.0 is right around the corner v65 was 1.0b as well.

notkevin
Mar 31, 2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by tliptak
v67 is 1.0b, v64 was .87b... Version 1.0 is right around the corner

And the last public beta is 1.0b (v60) and IIRC the first public beta was also lable 1.0b .... nothing earth shattering there...

coolbreeze
Apr 1, 2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by cionheart
V.67 crashed my system and I had to do some serious unix hacking to recover without losing something. A lot of people want to have some kind of stability (altought it's a beta) and programmers can't publish a stable version every week.

-- cionheart
Hm. I "obtained" a copy of V.67 and I am so used to tabbed browsing, I can't go back to the V.60 that software update keeps bothering me about. But what you say above makes me a little nervous. Guess I shouldn't be using an unreleased version unless I'm prepared to get screwed, huh?

By the way, I have Camino, and like the tabbed browsing...but I like Safari more!

hokka
Apr 3, 2003, 06:26 AM
the only complain I have of v60 (as i've never seen v67) is when moving cursor over a link, there's no visual cue (eg. a URL) of where or what it leads to - very annoying

Swordsman
Apr 9, 2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by hokka
the only complain I have of v60 (as i've never seen v67) is when moving cursor over a link, there's no visual cue (eg. a URL) of where or what it leads to - very annoying

You can view where the link leads to by going to view and open the status bar.