Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2001
I have a 466 G4 with 896 mb ram. I am debating buying a superdrive for it (pioneer dvr-103/a03). Has anyone here done this before? I was told if I used it with iDVD, the encoding times would be horrific. I am a consumer user who wants to make a few dvd's for friends and family. If time is the only concern, i can live with that. Will it even work is my question.

I would love to hear from some of you who have added the superdrive as an after-market addition.

Thanks in advance.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I would suggest contacting Pioneer with the question. Either that, if you can find someone with the same generation G4 and the superdrive in it to see how well it performs. There shouldn't be too much of a speed drop between the two systems since most of the processing is on the bus. It will be slower then one that came with the drive, more from the cpu speed difference.

I can't see it being painfully slow to use. If all else fails, go for an external and get the full version of Toast.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Nope

I have a G4 400 with a Pioneer A-103 Superdrive. I have burned about 3 DVDs in iDVD and it is not horrific encoding times. It is fine. Trust me.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2001
So MacUser... You are really have the A-103 and it can encode movies onto a dvd just fine using iDVD? I don't care if it is slow, just so long as it is faster than the slowest PC.....

Thanks

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
buffsldr, with the information provided by Mac_User, I would say that doing the same on your G4 466 would be even better. More then just the cpu speed difference, you have higher speeds in other parts of the logic board.

Happy dvd burning :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.