PDA

View Full Version : Apple links to article on OC'd MPC7455 in new towers...

ELYXR
Mar 28, 2003, 03:12 AM
"I look at the new G4 Dual Processor towers from Apple and I realize we are living in the golden age of factory hot-rodded computers. Apple has taken a couple of the Motorola MPC 7455 chips, which are specked out from the factory to run at a maximum frequency of 1000 MHz, and bumped them up to 1.42 GHz. Hey, it even sounds like a hot rod with blowers."

I guess this is definitive then... All G4's above 1Ghz are over-clocked. Apple endorsed the article by linking to it on the "Hot News" section. So I guess it's true then? I'd love to hear anyones take on it... here's the link:

http://www.uemedia.com/CPC/article_6372.shtml

Hemingray
Mar 28, 2003, 03:50 AM
Not only that, but the article is in serious need of proofreading...

When you spend most of your day looking at a computer screen, the 172Apple flat-screen is one of the finest I've seen. During the course of this review the price on this beauty has come down from $999 to $699. So unless you're comparing the 17 to its larger siblings, the new 202 or the 232 Cinema Display, you really can't go wrong. Occupying one of the G41s four full-length 64-bit, 33 MHz PCI slots, is the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro graphics card with 64 MB of V-RAM, is perfectly capable of playing full-screen 30 fps non-drop footage all day long.

I'm assuming the appearances of "2"s are meant to be double quotes, and "1"s are meant to be single quotes. Odd.

boskie
Mar 28, 2003, 04:04 AM
It seems so. Looking at Motorala (http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?nodeId=01M98653) it states that the max operating frequency is 1000MHz @ 1.3v.

Apple MUST be the masters of cooling to get these to run at higher frequencies:)

britboy
Mar 28, 2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Hemingray
Not only that, but the article is in serious need of proofreading...

I'm assuming the appearances of "2"s are meant to be double quotes, and "1"s are meant to be single quotes. Odd.

Actually, i think that (for example) 172 is referring to the 17.2 inch display, 202 the 20.2 inch display, etc. Just an odd way to talk about them really, although it still needs proof-reading for other typos.

backspinner
Mar 28, 2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by ELYXR
Apple endorsed the article by linking to it on the "Hot News" section. So I guess it's true then? I'd love to hear anyones take on it... yeah, and Bush is asking for a recount :-)

Jimong5
Mar 28, 2003, 07:14 AM
Occupying one of the G41s four full-length 64-bit, 33 MHz PCI slots, is the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro graphics card with 64 MB of V-RAM,

This site doesnt even note the Radeon IS NOT on the PCI bus, but on the AGP bus, which is extra weird because there isnt even a Radeon 9000 PCI around.

Sun Baked
Mar 28, 2003, 08:02 AM
I look at the new G4 Dual Processor towers from Apple and I realize we are living in the golden age of factory hot-rodded computers. Apple has taken a couple of the Motorola MPC 7455 chips, which are specked out from the factory to run at a maximum frequency of 1000 MHz, and bumped them up to 1.42 GHz. Hey, it even sounds like a hot rod with blowers. If the author actually believes Apple is selling machine that they themselves are overclocking well above Motorola's 1000MHz factory specs, it's pointless to even bother trying to educate him -- he's most likely got some sort of mental deficiency.

It would probably be easier to educate a cabbage.

If Apple was indeed overclocking G4s you’d definitely see a whole lot of proof floating around, such as images of the new machines having a Motorola speed stamps well below the 1.42GHz, 1.33GHz, 1.25 GHz stamped on Apple's boxes. And I have not seen those.

They're different spec processors – one for portables, one for normal applications, and one for performance applications (which the PowerMac is).

Plus when the 7455 first came out there were hints that processors did clock much higher than anticipated, but the yield sucked.