PDA

View Full Version : Problems with iTunes - Playlist editing

peacenik
Mar 28, 2003, 10:32 AM
My wife built a playlist, not a smart playlist, in iTunes that is behaving strangely.

For all our other playlists, I have no problem rearranging the order of the tracks by dragging and dropping the tracks where I want them on the list.

However, when I try to do this for this one playlist, when I drag and drop a track, it just jumps back to where it was. I can't move any of the tracks.

Of course, I tried closing iTunes and starting it back up again, as well as rebooting.

I'm using the latest version of iTunes with the latest version of OS X.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBandit
Mar 28, 2003, 10:49 AM
Is the playlist already organized by name or some other method.

peacenik
Mar 28, 2003, 01:13 PM
You know, I just checked the Apple.com Knowlege Base and found the following:

"To re-order the songs in a playlist:

Drag the song titles into the order you want to hear them. If you can't drag a song, click the the heading column with the numbers. You can't reorder songs if they're sorted by one of the other headings, or if shuffle mode is turned on."

I think it is possible that my wife did try sorting by Artist or Album and will need to click on the heading column with the numbers.

Thanks!

MacBandit
Mar 29, 2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by peacenik
You know, I just checked the Apple.com Knowlege Base and found the following:

"To re-order the songs in a playlist:

Drag the song titles into the order you want to hear them. If you can't drag a song, click the the heading column with the numbers. You can't reorder songs if they're sorted by one of the other headings, or if shuffle mode is turned on."

I think it is possible that my wife did try sorting by Artist or Album and will need to click on the heading column with the numbers.

Thanks!

Dats whut I taught.

Glad I could help.

pstone
Sep 3, 2008, 12:03 AM
5 years later and I had to log into get an account to say this:

1: This is still the case. You have to hit the # field just to be able to reorder the songs manually.

2: Because of #1, Apple Fails. What is this some sort of special cool club where if you're in the know about HOW to sort a playlist you gain some sort of cool-points? Sexual favor points? Gold bars fall out of sky into your backyard points? I mean come on - Apple ][ Programming methods dictate that IF YOU MOVE A SONG, REORDER IT AT ANY GIVEN Ming Fing TIME!

Sheesh

/white russian off

P.S. - Macs are cool - I love my new used G5 for writing muzaks :)

kiwicmc
Jun 12, 2011, 11:16 PM
I google this page to find out why iTunes 10 still has this problem...

"iTunes a hideous binary turd that transforms the sparkling world of music and entertainment into a stark, unintuitive spreadsheet." - Charlie Booker

davehkim
Jun 27, 2011, 02:13 AM
In order to drag & drop songs in a simple (not a "smart") playlist, the shuffle function must be off (see bottom left). Then, click the top of the left-most column (arrow pointing up or down). Needless to say, shuffling and customizing song orders are opposites, just as clicking the top of other columns (ordering by song titles, for example) and customizing song orders are opposites. So it's actually logical.