Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
My system has randomly shut down twice now in the last two days. Dual G5 2.3. I checked the console log, which I know very little about, and it said this:

localhost kernel[0]: ApplePMU::pMU forced shutdown, cause = -122

Two questions-

what's the -122 code mean?

Do you think resetting the PMU would be the solution to this?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Interestingly, the Apple support pages say my system doesn't even have a PMU, but rather an 'SMU'. So why does the console say PMU???

link

CTSxViper

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2005
Hanover PA
decksnap said:
My system has randomly shut down twice now in the last two days. Dual G5 2.3. I checked the console log, which I know very little about, and it said this:

Two questions-

Can you give us an update? Did it solve your problem?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Nobody's answered either of my questions so I haven't acted on it. Thanks for the bump though. Very curious to see a list of the error codes. And why console says PMU when I have an SMU.

mercury613

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2006
San Francisco, CA
G5 dual random shutdown

I had the same problem, but only after updating to OS 10.4.7 from 10.4.5. After several days of extreme frustration, I reinstalled 10.4.5, and all was well.

Today I just tried updating to 10.4.8. Same problem is now happening:

Anybody know what could be going on?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
So you've isolated it to software?

I''m on 10.4.7.

I've tried resetting the SMU, resetting the pram. Got a new surge protector.

I've basically been able to reproduce the problem by opening two or three quicktimes at the same time, and/or adding iTunes into the mix. I will see what happens when I upgrade to 10.8.

knowhowthief

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/Dual_Core_G5_Shutdowns.html

check the console crash log and look for a error report (-122)

google that along with "random shutdowns G5"

the problem is like an epidemic.

extrodinarily random and from what ive learned, no way to ensure a solid fix.

my g5 is getting the CPU and power supply replaced, first time after 6months... i havent even finished payments on this (2nd gen dual 2.5) G5, and im just a kid who relys on his computer to make art and music on... i cant afford a new one, and now at worst ill be using a defective machine that has a trip to the emegency room every so often at MY expense. and if not that, ill just use it constantly fearing it'll crash on me. im sad about this.

but i dont have faith its going to be reliable still...

theres still the logic board, cooling system, video card...

i noticed this problem is occuring with the macbook pros too.

knowhowthief

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
decksnap said:

Two questions-

http://www.gibbilicious.com/gibbilicious/2006/02/troubleshooting_the_mysterious.html

that link explained the error code, -or what could be said for it at least.

Mikii

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
ApplePMU::pMU forced shutdown, cause = -122 A solution?

Two questions-

Guys, I've had ApplePMU::pMU forced shutdown, cause = -122 for years. I tried everything without success so far...
Today, out of the blue, I seem to have found a solution. The culprit seems to be a faulty clock and Pram battery. Even if the internal clock functions regularly, a lower voltage from the battery could cause all kinds of strange behaviour. I replaced the battery today and was able to run 5 youtube videos simultaneously, with processor speed to automatic and did not have any shutdown. This morning playing a single video would cause the shutdown...

So, I don't want to raise false hopes but replacing he battery is definitely worth a try!

Cheers

Mr Michele From Italy.

dwdaniell

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2010
Guys, I've had ApplePMU::pMU forced shutdown, cause = -122 for years. I tried everything without success so far...
Today, out of the blue, I seem to have found a solution. The culprit seems to be a faulty clock and Pram battery. Even if the internal clock functions regularly, a lower voltage from the battery could cause all kinds of strange behaviour. I replaced the battery today and was able to run 5 youtube videos simultaneously, with processor speed to automatic and did not have any shutdown. This morning playing a single video would cause the shutdown...

So it has been several weeks since you came across this possible fix - have you had the shutdown since replacing the battery?

Mikii

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
So it has been several weeks since you came across this possible fix - have you had the shutdown since replacing the battery?

Yes. I am afraid I had a few shutdown but definitely less. I also introduced another change: Instead of disconnecting the main power source from the computer with a switch, I always keep the mac connected, even when It's switched off.

This seems to "do some good".

Im am sorry I can't say the solution is 100% effective thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.