PDA

View Full Version : Rec'd 1.42 dualie BTO! Wow!

ottonian
Mar 28, 2003, 01:43 PM
Got the machine yesterday.

Took two weeks, four days.

Is this thing heavy or what? Quieter than it's replacement: PowerComputiong PowerTowerPro 180 w/ G# 500 card.

Dual 180gig drives
2 Gig mem.

Office a mess of cables and dust.
Nvidia Ti card seems fine.

Multitasker from heaven.

Thanks to all who coached me through the wait.

Glad to take any questions and advice. 1st OSX experience.
Kid in a slightly confusing candy store.

Have not yet scratched the surface

howard
Mar 28, 2003, 01:55 PM
your one lucky person. very lucky.

i'm one jelous person. very jelous.

edesignuk
Mar 28, 2003, 01:58 PM
That is one sweet machine, enjoy it, and make the most of it :)

meateater
Mar 28, 2003, 03:29 PM
i got my bto 1.42 on tuesday!!!!!i put a 5.1digital sound card in with a logitech 5.1 thx certified speker system.teamed with a 23 inch apple h.d. flat screen, the titanium graphics card and the sound make this an a/v dream machine. it is also way fast, i was using an old beige g3 with a 500mhz g4 upgrade card but osx was so slow. this baby open files and launches aps instantly!!!! im am more than happy with the purchase!!!!it was well worth the wait!!!

scem0
Mar 28, 2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by howard
your one lucky person. very lucky.

i'm one jelous person. very jelous.

same here, but jealous is an understatement. ;)

AppleMatt
Mar 28, 2003, 06:20 PM
Excellent to hear, but I would like you to know that at any time if it causes you trouble I will, as a gesture of goodwill, take it off of your hands for you.

I see it as a community service.

:D

AppleMatt

cubist
Mar 28, 2003, 07:10 PM
Post your xbench scores. Does it get hot? We hear the machine isn't as noisy as the previous model. WDYT?

ottonian
Mar 30, 2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by cubist
Post your xbench scores. Does it get hot? We hear the machine isn't as noisy as the previous model. WDYT?

A VERY quiet machine!
Iwas tracking all the 1.25 complaints and pricing tarmac noise canceler muffs but I am thus far very pleased! The speed is unreal. It'll take a couple days to get everything understood [I keep looking upper right for menus that are upper left now et.] and configured right. Very happy!

ottonian
Mar 30, 2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by AppleMatt
Excellent to hear, but I would like you to know that at any time if it causes you trouble I will, as a gesture of goodwill, take it off of your hands for you.

I see it as a community service.

:D

AppleMatt

very generous of you!
if I ever feel like going 'office space' on it, I'll contact you...; )

otto

daniel77
Mar 30, 2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by meateater
i got my bto 1.42 on tuesday!!!!!i put a 5.1digital sound card in with a logitech 5.1 thx certified speker system.teamed with a 23 inch apple h.d. flat screen, the titanium graphics card and the sound make this an a/v dream machine. it is also way fast, i was using an old beige g3 with a 500mhz g4 upgrade card but osx was so slow. this baby open files and launches aps instantly!!!! im am more than happy with the purchase!!!!it was well worth the wait!!!

so you went from a beige box 500mhz G4, to an approximately 8000 USD set-up. interesting.

jjblair
Mar 30, 2003, 10:06 PM
I picked up my 2 x 1.42 last week. I'm running a 22" and a 17" display off the nVidia card with 2 gigs of RAM. I have a 733 Quicksilver upstairs in my office and this thing is atleast 50% quieter. I'm really surprised, because all I heard about the mirrored door models when they first came out was how noisy they were.

A quick note: I thought that I was going to have to buy Gefen Extend-it boxes to run video from my soundproof enclosure to the monitors. This is what I did with the G3 system and VGA monitors that are currently where this computer is about to go. I found out that you can get 3 meter extensions for the ADC connector. Although they are $69, it's significantly cheaper than a Gefen box and they work perfectly.

Also, if anybody is looking for monitor arms that work with Apple LCDs, I got mine from ergotron.com. They have a custom Apple mount. They only have them for the 22" and 17" for now, but the 20" and 23" should be coming very shortly.