Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
To replace my PowerBook G4, I originally intended to get a MacBook Pro but ended up with a MacBook (black base model), in a nutshell: the computer is beautiful, the only thing I´m missing is the X1600 the MBP would have had, despite being a full 2 inches shorter than the old PBG4, its really unnoticeble since the resolution is the same, the keyboard is very comfortable to use although a little cramped, the computer is very fast and responsive and thats with 512MB, even non universal apps open and work faster than on the old PBG4 (which I found pathetically slow), the trackpad feels a lot nicer and its wider and has the scrolling and 2nd click features.

Overall I´m loving it, I´ll miss the X1600 since it would have been really nice for games on WindowsXP but the GMA950 is fast enough for the GUI (though there is some lag here and there), overall a very nice machine, I´m really liking it, currently I have Parallels on it and that works fast though I´m installing WinXP through bootcamp and see if the GMA950 can play The Sims 2 and Warcraft III (is there a universal patch for WC3 yet?) comfortably (games which would be really useful to have an extra computer to play them on)

Summary: I like the MacBook very much, the only thing I dislike would be the GMA950 and maybe the cramped keyboard a little, this however is not a gaming machine and for what I will use it for, its a beast, besides, I like the black styling a lot and the cool nifty features like magsafe connectors and the like make the upgrade over the PBG4 VERY worth it.

And some pictures :)
macbook002.jpg

macbook001.jpg

P.D: That mousepad is not nearly as dirty as that picture would make it seem :eek:

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
As far as gaming goes, you might want to think about getting an external keyboard and mouse. It's so much easier - even if you only get an external mouse, it's immensely superior to playing with a trackpad and laptop keyboard, which as you say is cramped and a bit awkward, at least in my experience.

Edit: Ok, scratch the mouse idea, you posted the picture as I posted, haha! Maybe just the keyboard then. That does look very nice though!

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
Congrats!

You're going to love that little machine. I'm jealous! MacBooks are incredible in almost every way.

My one complaint with them I think, is that the edge of the case is a little rough and sharp. Just using them in the Apple Store, it seems like it would hurt your wrist over time just leaving you hands resting for typing.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
The Tuck said:
You're going to love that little machine. I'm jealous! MacBooks are incredible in almost every way.

My one complaint with them I think, is that the edge of the case is a little rough and sharp. Just using them in the Apple Store, it seems like it would hurt your wrist over time just leaving you hands resting for typing.

Has anyone else noticed this?

They kinda are now that you mention it but so far they have not been a problem, I did not even notice they were sharp until you mentioned it :) but then again I have not done any long typing sessions or anything yet.

By the way, I'm installing Windows now, so odd seeing those low res blue screens on a sleek Apple computer like the macbook :p the process though was very quick to set up, I had to create a slipstreamed sp2 windows xp install disc but Bootcamp was very easy to use, honestly, I did not expect a partioning utility to work so seamlessly but it did.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
the difference in speed between the macbooks and the g4's is amazing isnt it? enjoy ur new toy! Sims 2 doesnt work so awesome with stock ram (kinda laggy), but with more it should work better :)

TheBusDriver

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2005
Am I the only one who thinks Blackbooks should have a black magsafe cord? Maybe they should make a black mightymouse too.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
TheBusDriver said:
Am I the only one who thinks Blackbooks should have a black magsafe cord? Maybe they should make a black mightymouse too.

no, it's not a bad idea, but you gotta remember Apple doesn't offer black iPod docks & USB cords. So I don't see them doing it, it would be nice though.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
nosen said:
Congrats! Which model PowerBook did you have previously?

I had a 2004 15" Powerbook G4 1.5ghz with 512mb RAM and a 9700 Mobility, they were the previous model before the last PowerBook, it was alright but it doesn't compare to the MacBook at all, I did like the Alu styling and the keyboard though...

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
TheBusDriver said:

I agree with you. They also need to mac a silver mighty mouse and magsafe cord for the macbook pro too!! :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
TheBusDriver said:

I don't. I love the black and white contrast, reckon it looks cool.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Loving my White MacBook as well, the screen is absolutely stunning. I currently have a picture of a butterfly resting on a green leaf for my desktop, and honestly it appears as though someone has replaced my moniter with a real photo. I think Apple has made the right decision in going with these new screens, the old matt ones just look so dull now.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
Chone said:
I had a 2004 15" Powerbook G4 1.5ghz with 512mb RAM and a 9700 Mobility, they were the previous model before the last PowerBook, it was alright but it doesn't compare to the MacBook at all, I did like the Alu styling and the keyboard though...
Oh thats not too bad. Now, going from my old 550mhz TiBook to my new MBP... THAT was a big jump! ;)

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Wow love the computer! I came close to a black MB but went the MBP instead. But those machines are tops :D

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Windows installation went without a hitch, I only had Windows XP SP1 so I had to slipstream SP2 into it, then it was all very easy, I repartitioned the drive, no problems, burned the drivers cd, began installation, used the drivers cd, updated a few things on my own and about 10 minutes into I had forgotten I was using a Mac, the experience is so seamless and even the built-in iSight was supported, MacBook is a VERY fast computer in Windows... even with 512mb it felt just as responsive or maybe even faster on certain tasks as compared to my P4 1GB rig, now if only it had a decent videocard :rolleyes:

I plan to upgrade it to 1GB soon but as it is MacBook is a good machine, my only significant complain is the GMA 950 but otherwise, its a great machine. Now I can truly say Apple is the best prebuilt manufacturer in the market bar none (and now it CAN be compared to others like Dell since Macs run WindowsXP perfectly), in fact Apples are the only prebuilts I have bought and will ever buy and I'll keep building my PCs.

P.D: The 2.0ghz Core Duo beats the 3.2ghz Pentium4 by a whooping 2 minutes and 8 seconds in the 8M SuperPI calculation test, the gap only widens on the 16M and 32M tests.

makismagoo99

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2006
Chone said:
Windows installation went without a hitch, I only had Windows XP SP1 so I had to slipstream SP2 into it, then it was all very easy, I repartitioned the drive, no problems....

I'm very glad to hear that slipstreaming works since you have to have an SP2 cd for BootCamp. I'll be buying the twin brother of your MB soon and that was one of my concerns. Congrats and enjoy! :)

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
XP Defector said:
Loving my White MacBook as well, the screen is absolutely stunning. I currently have a picture of a butterfly resting on a green leaf for my desktop, and honestly it appears as though someone has replaced my moniter with a real photo. I think Apple has made the right decision in going with these new screens, the old matt ones just look so dull now.

I must admit I thought the complete opposite. A friend of mine has just got a MacBook, and when you compare the two screens next to each other, the MacBook's is very edgy and overly-bright. I really prefer the Matte screens. It's just so much more natural to me...

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
i wish macbooks had a real graphics card in them. that is probably the only reason i will be going pro. i like the size of the mb more, but i cannot justify integrated graphics :(

apachie2k

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
was NYC...now MIAMI
TheBusDriver said:

colorware sells them...wired and wireless bT mighty mouse in almost any color u can imagine...

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
XP Defector said:
Can you do me a favour? Go on this website. Does the yellow seem to get "greenish" at the top, when the bottom is light yellow? My MacBook is like that-and its very distracting when in Photoshop. Its getting sent back anyway-it doesnt turn on sometimes. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.