PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network?

Wano
Mar 28, 2003, 01:56 PM
I am very uneducated when it comes to this area of computers. I was wondering if there are any cheap wireless network things -base station- that are compatible with airport extreme?
I will be using it for just internet, and not really to network any computers, and I wont be more than 75ft away from the base station. Thanks in advance for your help!

KingArthur
Mar 28, 2003, 02:13 PM
My grandmother uses an AirPort (origional) for her TiBook400 and she LOVES the ability to walk around the house and connect to the net from anywhere. She uses it for a dial-up connection, even, but the portability is key. She loves it. It was definately worth the money she spent on it.

Wano
Mar 28, 2003, 02:14 PM
I've heard it's possible to connect the airport to other wirless network things..so i am looking for something way cheaper than a airport base station.

Kwyjibo
Mar 28, 2003, 02:18 PM
Ok ape is a very new technology 802.11g. It is also quite pricey. If your looking for cheaper wireless hardware i suggest you look at 802.llb (comaptible with airport extreme cards) its about a year or so old and very common so its cheaper. also at 75ft you will not get the full benefit of APE so .b is probably your best choice. you can get any router it doesn't have to be apple, i perosnally have used netgear and linksys and have had psotiuve experiences with both. I woudl say if you need the faster speed jsut wire the computers when necessayry and go from there.

Sedulous
Mar 28, 2003, 02:55 PM
I don't think Airport Extreme speed will benefit a dial-up connection. Therefore, unless you are planning to upgrade to cable or DSL, you are better off with 802.11b

Kwyjibo
Mar 28, 2003, 03:09 PM
sounds liek king's grandma has dialup and Wano has broadband of sorts I think. I woudl definatley go with 802.11b. I would not get an airport simply because you need an extra device jsut to hardwire extra computers.

jt23
Mar 28, 2003, 03:13 PM
and I believe that they are all cheaper than Airport.

Even so, I still think your best best is to get a 802.11B WAP. I use a Linksys Wireless Access Router, and you can get those for less than $100.

11B is all you need for a couple of reasons.

1. the range is better (more like 300 feet, more than enough for you)
2. since you aren't sharing files on a network, the only speed you need to worry about is for your internet connection. .11b transfers at 11MBps (best case -- in theory), while your cable/dsl modem isn't gonna give you much more than 1 MBps.

so even though your actual rate with .11b is gonna be closer to 4-5 MBps, you'll still be maxing out the modem's transfer capabilities. Therefore, spending more on Extreme (.11g) is just a waste of money, in my opinion.

Wano
Mar 28, 2003, 03:21 PM
Thanks for all your help! This answered my question. Also, I will be using dial-up...is that compatible with most of the routers? I had to drop DSL when I moved cause they don't offer it here, but they do offer cable, which I m wondering if it will work? Thanks!

jt23
Mar 28, 2003, 03:23 PM
most of the WAP are broadband only. In fact, Airport is the only one I know of that supports dial-up.

anyone?

but i gotta say -- Step up to Broadband; you'll be glad you did.

Kwyjibo
Mar 28, 2003, 03:25 PM
well then my advice changes. Its very tough and almsot unbearble to share a dialup connection. I suggest you get cable if it is availbe because relaistically wireless won't be worth it in that situation. I woudl rather have a long cable to directly dial in than share the connection. I wouldn't make a networkj until you have broaband. Also airport is the only basesstation that allows u to share dialup. Just things to think about.

Wano
Mar 28, 2003, 03:34 PM
jt23-Yeah, I agree with DSL it's definately worth it...as I said earlier I used to have DSL but when I moved I had to go back to dial-up....which is TERRIBLE! Takes forever.

Thanks for all the info once again!...I guess i'll shop around for a 50ft telephone cord till I get cable...hehe

alset
Mar 28, 2003, 05:51 PM
On the subject of cable or DSL...

Go with LinkSys. Or, if you aren't using file sharing you will be able to get by with a (cheaper) old school base station. That will keep your money with Apple for a lower price. Consumer broadband will doesn't reach the transfer rates AP Extreme supports.

Dan

skymaXimus
Mar 29, 2003, 01:07 AM
Dlink blows linksys out of the water...but if you're going to broadcast a dial up i think you have to go w/ airport.
But seriously, get a cable modem and a dlink wireless router.

irmongoose
Mar 29, 2003, 02:47 AM
Or get optical fiber... 100 Mbps baby! :D

irmongoose