PDA

View Full Version : 17" misc things

WilliamGates
Mar 28, 2003, 04:47 PM
When I got home from work I pulled my 17" out of the Tom Bihn sleve that was a perfect fit for my old pack pack I purchased at a Kmart. This sleve is so cool, reinforced on the sides with hard material. I pulled it out, grabbed the 17" with one hand by the middle front edge, and placed it on the table without hardly a thought. It seems I am getting familiar with the structural limits of the laptop.

I noticed certain apps began not to open. The game "freedom force" would not open last week and just today Final Cut Express gave the message "Application unexpectedly quit" after many a try. I have a notable tip for such behavior. As you might suspect I had to trash preferences of each application, found in user/library/preferences. But what some of you may not know is that you can drag your preferences file as an icon into your dock so you won't have to search for it every time an application starts quitting. Those with the dock on the bottom of your screen can drag the icon into the right side of the dock. Those with the dock on either side of the screen are able to drag the preferences or any file icon to the bottom half of your dock.

Frankly I am not fully impressed with the lighted keyboard; it's not bright enough for me. I find with the screen at full brightness (which may bother other peoples eyes, but not mine) I can clearly see all keys, unless the keyboard is lighted, so I turn the keyboard lighting off. But that's just my preference.

Perhaps some of you are finding more tips and tricks about your 17", 15" or 12". I would be interested in your posts here.

Swordsman
Mar 29, 2003, 11:06 AM
what causes apps to "unexpectedly quit"? btw, thanks for the tip on trashing the preferences and docking the folder.

MacBandit
Mar 29, 2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by WilliamGates
I noticed certain apps began not to open. The game "freedom force" would not open last week and just today Final Cut Express gave the message "Application unexpectedly quit" after many a try. I have a notable tip for such behavior. As you might suspect I had to trash preferences of each application, found in user/library/preferences. But what some of you may not know is that you can drag your preferences file as an icon into your dock so you won't have to search for it every time an application starts quitting. Those with the dock on the bottom of your screen can drag the icon into the right side of the dock. Those with the dock on either side of the screen are able to drag the preferences or any file icon to the bottom half of your dock.

Frankly I am not fully impressed with the lighted keyboard; it's not bright enough for me. I find with the screen at full brightness (which may bother other peoples eyes, but not mine) I can clearly see all keys, unless the keyboard is lighted, so I turn the keyboard lighting off. But that's just my preference.

Perhaps some of you are finding more tips and tricks about your 17", 15" or 12". I would be interested in your posts here.

Sounds to me like you had permissions errors that would have been cleared up by running disk utility. The preference file trashing hasn't been all that important to me since going to OSX I haven't had a problem that I had to resort to doing that for. Everytime I get an unexpected quit I run a permissions repair and FSCK and it clears it up. Sure prevents having to re-enter all those preferences.

You can dock any folder or file. This is nother new. I have my App, home, and documents folder docked and some times web addresses for quick access.

Is the screen lighting to light in a dark room? I believe the the intention of it was to provide easy location for a completely dark room.

WilliamGates
Mar 29, 2003, 04:09 PM
May well be nothing newto you but for people like Swordsman I think it's still a useful tip. Everyone does not know everything on this board. But thanks for the advice although none of it seemed to work. Fortunately an email reply from the games help service gave this message:

"Please try deleting your Library/Application_ Support/FreedomForce/options.dat file."

Worked like a charm. Yep, you learn something new every day.

The keyboard could use a little more lighting from beneath. This is obvious especially with the function keys.