PDA

View Full Version : Cloning Windows XP CD

deepy
Sep 9, 2006, 06:44 PM
I have borrowed a Windows XP SP2 CD from my university and have my own licence code under MSDN-AA. So I take it I can make a copy of the actual CD for my own use with my own licence code.

Whats the best way to clone the CD so that its 100% fully working and bootable etc (especially under bootcamp)?

Cheers.

balamw
Sep 9, 2006, 06:53 PM
Why don't you just download the MSDN ISO to be sure your code will work with it?

I'm not convinced that a MSDN product ID will work with the CD you have.

(e.g. OEM and retail product keys are not interchangeable).

B

Demoman
Sep 9, 2006, 07:06 PM
I have borrowed a Windows XP SP2 CD from my university and have my own licence code under MSDN-AA. So I take it I can make a copy of the actual CD for my own use with my own licence code.

Whats the best way to clone the CD so that its 100% fully working and bootable etc (especially under bootcamp)?

Cheers.

I would assume that at all. If you cannot install it with what has been 'borrowed', you are probably not obtaining it through proper means. Contact the IT department. I am sure they can help with this and insure it is all done legally.

deepy
Sep 9, 2006, 07:50 PM
I would assume that at all. If you cannot install it with what has been 'borrowed', you are probably not obtaining it through proper means. Contact the IT department. I am sure they can help with this and insure it is all done legally.

The one that i've borrowed works fine. Its the proper CD for MSDN-AA and i've been given my own proper licence for MSDN-AA. But I have to give back the CD in a few weeks so i'd like to make my own copy of it. Saves me having to borrow it again if i need it in an emergency to reinstall.

I'm not entirely sure if I can just use the copy function of Nero or something to create a copy that'll be exactly the same as the one I have borrowed?

balamw
Sep 9, 2006, 07:52 PM
The one that i've borrowed works fine. Its the proper CD for MSDN-AA and i've been given my own proper licence for MSDN-AA. But I have to give back the CD in a few weeks so i'd like to make my own copy of it. Saves me having to borrow it again if i need it in an emergency to reinstall.
Then use Disk Utility and make an ISO image of the disc, and burn it back also w/with DU.

[Insert the disc, select the session, File -> New -> Image from disk1s1]

B

deepy
Sep 9, 2006, 07:57 PM
Then use Disk Utility and make an ISO image of the disc, and burn it back also w/with DU.

[Insert the disc, select the session, File -> New -> Image from disk1s1]

B

Only able to use Windows right now. Anyway dont worry about it - thought i might have to do some complex malarky to bypass copy protection and retain "bootability". I'll just experiment with it.

balamw
Sep 9, 2006, 07:59 PM
Only able to use Windows right now.
Do you have Nero or something like that on your Windows install?

You could always download a trial of Alcohol 120% from http://www.alcohol-soft.com

B

Nermal
Sep 9, 2006, 07:59 PM
Only have windows right now.

Wouldn't it have made sense to say that in your original post? :rolleyes:

NATO
Sep 9, 2006, 08:53 PM
You're fine to duplicate the disc as it's the license to the software that's important, not the disc itself.