Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deepy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
I have borrowed a Windows XP SP2 CD from my university and have my own licence code under MSDN-AA. So I take it I can make a copy of the actual CD for my own use with my own licence code.

Whats the best way to clone the CD so that its 100% fully working and bootable etc (especially under bootcamp)?

Cheers.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Why don't you just download the MSDN ISO to be sure your code will work with it?

I'm not convinced that a MSDN product ID will work with the CD you have.

(e.g. OEM and retail product keys are not interchangeable).

B

Demoman

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
Issaquah, WA
deepy said:
I have borrowed a Windows XP SP2 CD from my university and have my own licence code under MSDN-AA. So I take it I can make a copy of the actual CD for my own use with my own licence code.

Whats the best way to clone the CD so that its 100% fully working and bootable etc (especially under bootcamp)?

Cheers.

I would assume that at all. If you cannot install it with what has been 'borrowed', you are probably not obtaining it through proper means. Contact the IT department. I am sure they can help with this and insure it is all done legally.

deepy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Demoman said:
I would assume that at all. If you cannot install it with what has been 'borrowed', you are probably not obtaining it through proper means. Contact the IT department. I am sure they can help with this and insure it is all done legally.

The one that i've borrowed works fine. Its the proper CD for MSDN-AA and i've been given my own proper licence for MSDN-AA. But I have to give back the CD in a few weeks so i'd like to make my own copy of it. Saves me having to borrow it again if i need it in an emergency to reinstall.

I'm not entirely sure if I can just use the copy function of Nero or something to create a copy that'll be exactly the same as the one I have borrowed?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
deepy said:
The one that i've borrowed works fine. Its the proper CD for MSDN-AA and i've been given my own proper licence for MSDN-AA. But I have to give back the CD in a few weeks so i'd like to make my own copy of it. Saves me having to borrow it again if i need it in an emergency to reinstall.
Then use Disk Utility and make an ISO image of the disc, and burn it back also w/with DU.

[Insert the disc, select the session, File -> New -> Image from disk1s1]

B

deepy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
balamw said:
Then use Disk Utility and make an ISO image of the disc, and burn it back also w/with DU.

[Insert the disc, select the session, File -> New -> Image from disk1s1]

B

Only able to use Windows right now. Anyway dont worry about it - thought i might have to do some complex malarky to bypass copy protection and retain "bootability". I'll just experiment with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.