Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Select features that if absent will be a deal breaker

• Core n Duo chip (where n >= 2)

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Firewire 800 (on 15" model)

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Wireless USB

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • 13" (or smaller) form factor

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Carbon fibre (Or some other different material) casing!

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Case redesign

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Easily accessible hard drive

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Magnetic latches

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • 1GB ram standard

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • Improvement of heat issues

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • No whining and mooing

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • Ultra Low Voltage CPUs

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • One more thing (anything that is not on the list!)

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Nothing really. I'm not a fan of $2K+ laptops thus I won't be planning on getting one. However I'd be happy if the Core 2 Duo gets into the laptops and if they drop the upgrade RAM prices. They look so expensive compared to the iMac RAM upgrade prices.

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
Merom and a better graphics card... but the latter is more of a hope than an expectation for me.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Not much on the list would be a deal breaker. Of course, I want it to work properly.

I'd like to see the Core 2 Duo and a case design that makes things like hard drive replacement much easier. If there is a connector for the graphics hardware to be replaced, that would be great. If there were replacement graphics hardware available, that would be even better.

However, I'm using a 15.2 inch PowerBook. As long as a MacBook Pro works well, that would be enough.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
generik said:
You are greedy! :D
ok, I'll give up the wireless USB and the firewire 800, other than that, they should just make all of them, Carbon Fiber, mmmm mmmm

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Quite frankly I am wondering about it myself :D

Afterall I already do have a Macbook that is working very well compared to what some others got with theirs, except for the fact that I find it a bit too small.

If Apple got lazy and simply just put a new C2D into the machine with no redesign whatsoever I'd probably just sit Merom out altogether and wait straight for Neheleim :)

Afterall the price of a MBP can very easily be put towards a MP which would serve me a lot better than a laptop.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I'm waiting for Neheliem too :D Or whatever is after that LOL whatever the technology will be in 2008-2009

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
None of the options are deal breakers for me at this time.

I am quite happy with the MacBook Pro as it is. I think people are too concerned about check box features they may never use.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
What I find curious is so many voted for no whining and mooing rather than heat issues. So I guess the whine is more irritating than the heat?:eek:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
generik said:
What I find curious is so many voted for no whining and mooing rather than heat issues. So I guess the whine is more irritating than the heat?:eek:

The heat issues seem subjective to me. I've felt several MacBook Pros in stores and they weren't any worse than my PowerBook.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
bousozoku said:
The heat issues seem subjective to me. I've felt several MacBook Pros in stores and they weren't any worse than my PowerBook.

Do they feel warmer than a Macbook to you?

I certainly remember how my Powerbook used to feel, so I find the Macbook a pleasant change. If all Macbooks are like this I really don't see what's the fuss behind all those complain threads :rolleyes:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
generik said:
Do they feel warmer than a Macbook to you?

I certainly remember how my Powerbook used to feel, so I find the Macbook a pleasant change. If all Macbooks are like this I really don't see what's the fuss behind all those complain threads :rolleyes:

The MacBooks hide the heat better. Metal conducts heat well. At the same speed, the MacBook will feel better. Also, the integrated graphics hardware is meant to keep the heat and power use down. The Radeon Mobility x1600 isn't particularly hot but remember that it's in a very confined place.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
Wireless USB? What a load of crap... It's Bluetooth that uses a lot of power. I'll stick with wired USB for high transmission rates and Bluetooth for the small stuff, thanks.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
vv-tim said:
Wireless USB? What a load of crap... It's Bluetooth that uses a lot of power. I'll stick with wired USB for high transmission rates and Bluetooth for the small stuff, thanks.

?

Wireless USB hubs have already started showing up, there is this one by Belkin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.