PDA

View Full Version : HELP! How to make my old G4 Faster

thecasso
Sep 10, 2006, 10:30 AM
Hi guys, I have an old G4 and its memory is to the max 1G. I'd like to know what you would reccomed to make it work faster. I've heard that an accelator for the processor is an alternative. Is it really worth it, and does it really work that good? I work with Photoshop all day long and handle very large files. I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Macmadant
Sep 10, 2006, 11:07 AM
Hi guys, I have an old G4 and its memory is to the max 1G. I'd like to know what you would reccomed to make it work faster. I've heard that an accelator for the processor is an alternative. Is it really worth it, and does it really work that good? I work with Photoshop all day long and handle very large files. I really appreciate your help. Thanks
Well the way i see it is, either upgrade your processor, i believe the current top is 2 Ghz for a G4, or for the same price you could pick up a refurb imac G5, although the imac G5's aren't really that fast it will be faster than your current system.
anyway good luck

Silentwave
Sep 10, 2006, 12:08 PM
Depending on your model you can get a number of replacement G4 processors. I've seen as high as dual 1.8GHz.

Sawtoothdude
Sep 10, 2006, 02:32 PM
If you have a sawtooth or higher i would recomend a processor around 1.6Ghz and a newer video card. My G4 is running fine at 1.8Ghz and 128MB Video memory

dornoforpyros
Sep 10, 2006, 02:37 PM
racing stripes & speed holes!

lol ok, as others have mentioned there are processor upgrades (http://www.fastmac.com) you can get