PDA

View Full Version : HELP my G4

thecasso
Sep 10, 2006, 10:37 AM
HELP! How to make my old G4 Faster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, I have an old G4 and its memory is to the max 1G. I'd like to know what you would reccomed to make it work faster. I've heard that an accelator for the processor is an alternative. Is it really worth it, and does it really work that good? I work with Photoshop all day long and handle very large files. I really appreciate your help. Thanks

California
Sep 10, 2006, 01:40 PM
HELP! How to make my old G4 Faster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, I have an old G4 and its memory is to the max 1G. I'd like to know what you would reccomed to make it work faster. I've heard that an accelator for the processor is an alternative. Is it really worth it, and does it really work that good? I work with Photoshop all day long and handle very large files. I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Dude, isn't this a double post? Against MR rules.

Makosuke
Sep 10, 2006, 04:00 PM
If you're doing Photoshop with big files, then the "cheap new" alternative--a mini--probably isn't going to cut it, on account of the drive and non-native app.

That said, you didn't say what G4 you have--there are a LOT of different models, you know. Some of the earlier ones you can grab a reasonably inexpensive processor upgrade that will add significant grunt. If it's a later one, the processor upgrades are really only worthwhile if you've already got a large investment in cards for the thing--otherwise a used G5 tower will do a lot more for similar money (not to mention raise your RAM cap by a LOT, which is a huge help in PS).

So... what G4?

CTSxViper
Sep 11, 2006, 12:52 PM
If you're doing Photoshop with big files, then the "cheap new" alternative--a mini--probably isn't going to cut it, on account of the drive and non-native app.

That said, you didn't say what G4 you have--there are a LOT of different models, you know. Some of the earlier ones you can grab a reasonably inexpensive processor upgrade that will add significant grunt. If it's a later one, the processor upgrades are really only worthwhile if you've already got a large investment in cards for the thing--otherwise a used G5 tower will do a lot more for similar money (not to mention raise your RAM cap by a LOT, which is a huge help in PS).

So... what G4?

I agree.. I think I would move up to a G5 or better..