PDA

View Full Version : iPad/PowerPad & Remote Desktop

MacQuest
Apr 3, 2003, 02:35 AM
Just a coincidence?

New features in Apple Remote Desktop v 1.2 released today:

- Remote Software Installation to remotely install new software to groups of Macs simultaneously over a network;
- Remote Network Startup Disk to set any number of Mac® OS X clients to start up from specified NetBoot or Network Install disk images on a remote server;
- Automatic Update for upgrading Apple Remote Desktop clients automatically over the network; and
- enhanced security including encrypted control and KeyChain® support to protect passwords and private data.

Hmmm...as a net. admin. I would like these abilities from a highly portable device [approx. the size of 2 DVD boxes stacked on top of eachother] that focuses on connectivity/accessibility, quick input of handwritten/touchpad text and graphics, playback/viewing capabilities and may not include an internal optical drive. It would be a lot more robust than a PDA while not being an inconvenient laptop.

It'd also be cool to take this gadget home as well and access a/v material from my desktop computer[s] and control or access content from rendezvous/bluetooth/airport enabled home electronic devices without having to go to them. I could also view/write e-mail, internet content, chat, etc. without being confined to a certain room or have an obstructive laptop in front of me that isolates me from the rest of the family.

I would pay $599 for a slimmed down entry version and $899 for a hardware[ram, audio recording, combo drive?, etc.]/software upgraded version.

C'mon Apple...stop teasing us!!

Release the iPad and PowerPad already...:D

zimv20
Apr 3, 2003, 02:47 AM
uhhhh.... are these being used in the war?

:-)

MacQuest
Apr 3, 2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by zimv20
uhhhh.... are these being used in the war?

:-)

uhhhh....sure....why not?:)

Ohhh...I get what you're trying to tell me now.:D

MacQuest
Apr 3, 2003, 02:56 AM
MODERATOR!!:D

I just realized [actually it was politely, yet indirectly brought to my attention by zimv20] that this post is in an inapproprate forum.:(

i just wanted to post this thread under "Other Mac Topics". Please relocate.

Sorry.:)

zimv20
Apr 3, 2003, 03:02 AM
just givin' ya a little grief for putting it in the political & war discussion forum. :-)

ah, i see you caught it. still -- i'm all for the armed services using apple products.

MacQuest
Apr 3, 2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by zimv20
just givin' ya a little grief for putting it in the political & war discussion forum. :-)

ah, i see you caught it. still -- i'm all for the armed services using apple products.

Me too...we probably would be done with the war by now seeing as how Macs are more productive. :)

pseudobrit
Apr 3, 2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by MacQuest
Me too...we probably would be done with the war by now seeing as how Macs are more productive. :)

We'd have a 17" iMac hanging from Saddam's testicles by now.

Come to think of it, the Iraqi people would love it if we liberated them from PCs much more than if we liberated them from Saddam, right?

Operation Iraqi OS Freedom. I can see the CNN banner now. ;)