PDA

View Full Version : Cabel Modems - Whats a good buy

VegetaPunk
Mar 29, 2003, 01:00 AM
Im a college student so I dont have ALOT of money to blow on a cabel modem but I was wondering what a good mac (if it matters if its for mac) cabel modem is or at least the ones to avoid I dont really want to spend more then 120 dollars umm my sys is a G4 500 tower w/ 10.2.4

conceptdev
Mar 29, 2003, 01:49 AM
Don't touch anything Alcatel with a 12 foot pole.

MacBandit
Mar 29, 2003, 02:11 AM
The RCA ones I have used are excellent. The motorolla spring boards that people I have known have used have all been replaced on failure with an RCA.

VegetaPunk
Mar 29, 2003, 02:23 AM
RCA it is then :D

maradong
Mar 29, 2003, 04:39 AM
Qhy not touch anything made by alcatel?

my speed touch home -> gone to speed touch pro is an absolutly marvelous machine.

pinks
Mar 29, 2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by VegetaPunk
Im a college student so I dont have ALOT of money to blow on a cabel modem but I was wondering what a good mac (if it matters if its for mac) cabel modem is or at least the ones to avoid I dont really want to spend more then 120 dollars umm my sys is a G4 500 tower w/ 10.2.4

Just wondering if a 'cabel' modem is the same as a cable modem: never quite sure about American English, although on the Apple website 'cable' is spelt with an le ending.

Assuming this is what you mean, I have been pleased with d-link (http://www.dlink.com/products/mac/index.asp) products - really good telephone support, within your budget (assuming that they are similarly priced in the US as to the UK), the company advertise their Mac compatability, and they are aesthetically inoffensive!

I hope this is of some help and apologies for the misunderstanding.

1st post BTW: long time reader, first time poster. Greetings!

- pinks

DakotaGuy
Mar 29, 2003, 07:34 AM
RCA is a good cheap modem. I have a Toshiba PCX1100 and it is a good modem as well, but it will cost more.

conceptdev
Mar 29, 2003, 08:57 AM
Alcatel speed touch home has given me nothing but strife since the day it entered my home. It does not play nice with Airport Extreme. Sometimes I have to powercycle the two buggers up to 5 times a day.

MorganX
Mar 29, 2003, 09:05 AM
I like Linksys. I'm using their cable modem and wireless-g routers which are stackable with an iMac.

Silky smooth.

conceptdev
Mar 29, 2003, 09:09 AM
Let me second that Linksys recommendation, two wireless routers no issues whatsoever - except - their tech support sucks now they outsourced to a call center in the Phillipines.

MorganX
Mar 29, 2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by conceptdev
Alcatel speed touch home has given me nothing but strife since the day it entered my home. It does not play nice with Airport Extreme. Sometimes I have to powercycle the two buggers up to 5 times a day.

I would have to reset the Linksys about once a week with my PC.

With the Mac, I think I've forgotten where the reset button is.

conceptdev
Mar 29, 2003, 09:31 AM
GRRR I know but the Alcatel doesn't support the Linksys 4 port+WAP because it is worthless.

Le Big Mac
Mar 29, 2003, 09:34 AM
Curious . . . I'm now getting charged a "rental" fee for my cable modem. (It's one of the 3com "sharkfin" styles). If I wanted to replace it, would it matter what brand I get (assuming quality?) I assumed that the modem was set up to work with my ISP, so I would have to get the same type. Am I wrong?

kiwi_the_iwik
Mar 29, 2003, 09:47 AM
I bought a Conexant AMX-CA61E Ethernet Router from www.dabs.com (dirt cheap at 60, delivered, complete with 2 microfilters) and have it on 24/7...

Never a DAY'S trouble (touch wood...)

;)

It's also got a USB port on it, if you'd rather connect it up that way (God knows why - it'll slow down your bus, and more than likely, snag your OS at every opportunity!). After all - Ethernet IS more stable, and also a great solution if you want to go the AirPort route - via WAN.

Just plug it in, take 10 minutes to configure it through your browser, and "Bob's your uncle".

:D

DakotaGuy
Mar 29, 2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
Curious . . . I'm now getting charged a "rental" fee for my cable modem. (It's one of the 3com "sharkfin" styles). If I wanted to replace it, would it matter what brand I get (assuming quality?) I assumed that the modem was set up to work with my ISP, so I would have to get the same type. Am I wrong?

No, anymore brand really does not matter, most Cable modems are built on the same standards and will work with any service, unless there is something special that your company is doing. My Cable company owns my modem, but if there is a rental fee it is wrapped into the monthly fee of $39.95 so even if I bought my own I would still be paying $39.95, so I just use their modem.

Doctor Q
Mar 29, 2003, 01:25 PM
I'm happy to rent instead of buy. I've had mine upgraded twice so far, at no cost.

daniel77
Mar 29, 2003, 09:07 PM

why would you buy a cable modem? honestly :rolleyes: at least 99% of ISPs will lease u a modem for like an extra 5 dollars/mo. after buying the 100-200 dollar modem, cables, adapters, etc, you are up to your neck in debt. it is just not worth it.

and i do not believe there is such a thing as a mac cable modem-all of them use standard USB 1.1 (or 2.0) and regular 10/100 ethernet ports. honestly.

VegetaPunk
Mar 30, 2003, 05:03 PM
I just picked up a linskey (didnt see an RCA cable modem) it was $70 after mail-in rebate

why would you buy a cable modem? honestly at least 99% of ISPs will lease u a modem for like an extra 5 dollars/mo. after buying the 100-200 dollar modem, cables, adapters, etc, you are up to your neck in debt. it is just not worth it.

I already have the required cables and my provider stated that I needed to get one (its through cox cable, the only cable ISP provider). so why is it such a stupid idea for me to get one.

Le Big Mac
Mar 30, 2003, 05:45 PM

I already have the required cables and my provider stated that I needed to get one (its through cox cable, the only cable ISP provider). so why is it such a stupid idea for me to get one.

That's what I figure. At $5/month, you've paid for it in 1-2 years. If you plan to stay in the same place, it's worth it. Besides, what cables are needed? The coax goes in, the cat-5 goes out. the power block comes with. Nothing one can't get at radio shack.

rainman::|:|
Mar 30, 2003, 06:17 PM
i bought a linksys cable modem which i've had no troubles with... it's better featured than the cable modems they provide, it cost $60, and in one year's time of using cable access, i've saved that much in rental fees. Plus, if it breaks or something, i buy a new one, don't have to worry about an inflated replacement fee.

pnw

daniel77
Mar 30, 2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Le Big Mac

w00t another sharkfin owner :D :D

MacBandit
Mar 31, 2003, 10:36 AM
Rental fees in my area are $3 a month. Hardly worth getting one with the number of cable modem failures that my friends and people I know have had.

crazytom
Mar 31, 2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Rental fees in my area are $3 a month. Hardly worth getting one with the number of cable modem failures that my friends and people I know have had.

Wow! That's a good deal! Rental fees in my area are $10/month. I bought a sharkfin a few years ago for $180...(it WAS cheap at the time). It's definitely paid for itself and I've had no issues with it. Even if it blows up now, I'd still be ahead of the game. (knock on wood!)

MacBandit
Mar 31, 2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by crazytom
Wow! That's a good deal! Rental fees in my area are $10/month. I bought a sharkfin a few years ago for $180...(it WAS cheap at the time). It's definitely paid for itself and I've had no issues with it. Even if it blows up now, I'd still be ahead of the game. (knock on wood!)

My rental feels are only $3 but my month charge is $45 including that $3. Lower rental feels do not mean better deal. It just means they get you more for the service charge meaning you can't save money by buying your own modem.