Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Can anyone get the following scenario working?....

1. Someone emails me with a postscript file (.ps) as an attachment.
2. An email rule or some scheduled task starts an automator workflow/apple script/application
3. The task converts .ps into a PDF
4. Creates a reply email and emails the PDF back to the original sender.

Some notes to start you off...

1. The rules in Mail can be invoked when an email contains an attachment by name
2. The rules in Mail have the ability to start an apple script
3. There are two ways to convert the .ps to PDF
a) If you open a .ps in Preview it is auto-converted to PDF
b) In Macintosh HD > Library > Scripts > Folder Action Scripts there is a script called convert - PostScript to PDF.scpt

Hope this gets people started. Would be great if someone can solve this challenge and post scripts and instructions to get this working....The reason behind this is that work mates using windows are amazed that my mac can convert ps to pdf - so it would be cool if they can email my mac to convert .ps to pdf and receive a reply with the attached pdf.

Good luck.

Adrian

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
Installable virtual printer on Windows:

http://www.go2pdf.com

Website that can convert ps to pdf:

http://www.ps2pdf.com

Or they can just install cygwin and use the ps2pdf command.

I know the feeling of being the cool mac guy (as I type this on my iMac at work surrounded by mostly linux and some windows machines), but I don't think emailing is the way to do it.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
agp said:
Can anyone get the following scenario working?....

1. Someone emails me with a postscript file (.ps) as an attachment.
2. An email rule or some scheduled task starts an automator workflow/apple script/application
3. The task converts .ps into a PDF
4. Creates a reply email and emails the PDF back to the original sender.

Some notes to start you off...

1. The rules in Mail can be invoked when an email contains an attachment by name
2. The rules in Mail have the ability to start an apple script
3. There are two ways to convert the .ps to PDF
a) If you open a .ps in Preview it is auto-converted to PDF
b) In Macintosh HD > Library > Scripts > Folder Action Scripts there is a script called convert - PostScript to PDF.scpt

Hope this gets people started. Would be great if someone can solve this challenge and post scripts and instructions to get this working....The reason behind this is that work mates using windows are amazed that my mac can convert ps to pdf - so it would be cool if they can email my mac to convert .ps to pdf and receive a reply with the attached pdf.

Good luck.

Adrian

Acrobat Distiller converts PS to PDF! :confused:

acadie

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2007
yeah - lots of apps can do these required tasks... but however, applescript coding this solution would probably apply to lots more different situations, with just minor coding....

I'm replying to this thread 2 years after the last post - looking to do something similar... but different

we have installed at work a phone service and the only way to get the messages on the computer, is to have the ol' CallPilot100 to email the message in wav. not elegant - but this is "old school" electronics! lol!

so i'd need to build up a script to take the WAV attachment in the email and convert it to mp3 or m4a, and then delete the email (as wav files can be quite huge)

anybody with ideas?
:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.