PDA

View Full Version : Has the Mac Hit Raskin's Ideal?

MacBytes
Sep 11, 2006, 10:27 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Has the Mac Hit Raskin's Ideal? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060911112719)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

IJ Reilly
Sep 11, 2006, 10:33 AM
I hardly think so. Raskin was withering in his criticism of the OSX interface.

dashiel
Sep 11, 2006, 10:41 AM

very true. for all OS X's failings however, the latter day raskin had lost it imo. actually strike that i think most everything raskin did pre/post apple was mediocre at best. it led me to believe that perhaps raskin talked up his own importance on the mac dev team.

IJ Reilly
Sep 11, 2006, 10:54 AM
very true. for all OS X's failings however, the latter day raskin had lost it imo. actually strike that i think most everything raskin did pre/post apple was mediocre at best. it led me to believe that perhaps raskin talked up his own importance on the mac dev team.

He's been accused of doing so before. With justification? I don't honestly know. My point was, Raskin was above all a computer interface theorist, and his ideas about GUIs centered around a radical kind of simplicity. All this talk about RAM, size of displays and cost of computers is pretty much completely besides the point, and kind of makes a joke of everything Jef Raskin was really about.

aranhamo
Sep 11, 2006, 06:47 PM

Considering that the article is going by one particular memo written by Raskin, it seems to have met his ideal as written in that memo. Most of the comments people make about user interfaces and Fitt's Law and all that seriously oversimplify things. I'm taking a UI class right now, and UI researchers don't give Fitt's Law anywhere near the reverence that the typical interface-nazi gives it.

"Do one thing every day that scares you. —Eleanor Roosevelt"

Read a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt today... that was pretty scary.

Flynnstone
Sep 11, 2006, 10:07 PM
Raskin had very good ideas. He is one of the reason OS X is better than Windows.
Some of his ideas or projects were a bit out there, but in general he made valuable contributions to the computer world.

IJ Reilly
Sep 11, 2006, 10:16 PM
Considering that the article is going by one particular memo written by Raskin, it seems to have met his ideal as written in that memo. Most of the comments people make about user interfaces and Fitt's Law and all that seriously oversimplify things. I'm taking a UI class right now, and UI researchers don't give Fitt's Law anywhere near the reverence that the typical interface-nazi gives it.

"Do one thing every day that scares you. —Eleanor Roosevelt"

Read a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt today... that was pretty scary.

And your point was?

solvs
Sep 12, 2006, 12:42 AM
And your point was?
Um, Elenor Roosevelt was a hottie? :p

I gotta agree with Flynnstone here. Raskin had some good ideas, and I definitely respected his opinion, but not everything he wanted to do would have been a good idea IMO. Plus I think people are kinda put off by how crotchety he got in the last few years. Not that I blame him for being a little bitter, but he could have been a little more, er, constructive in some of his criticisms. There were some pretty valid complaints in there somewhere though.

IJ Reilly
Sep 12, 2006, 01:30 AM
Um, Elenor Roosevelt was a hottie? :p

I gotta agree with Flynnstone here. Raskin had some good ideas, and I definitely respected his opinion, but not everything he wanted to do would have been a good idea IMO. Plus I think people are kinda put off by how crotchety he got in the last few years. Not that I blame him for being a little bitter, but he could have been a little more, er, constructive in some of his criticisms. There were some pretty valid complaints in there somewhere though.

I wasn't really debating that point. Whether we agree on whether Raskin's theories were completely sound or not, the article seemed to miss the central point of what his theories actually were.

solvs
Sep 12, 2006, 01:52 AM
I wasn't really debating that point. Whether we agree on whether Raskin's theories were completely sound or not, the article seemed to miss the central point of what his theories actually were.
To be honest, I just kinda skimmed it. Didn't seem that interesting. I just wanted to share my opinion on Raskin himself. Not that I really had one, but there you go.

thewhitehart
Sep 12, 2006, 04:58 AM
Check out the Archy Project, being developed by Jeff Raskin's son. The website for it is at "The Jeff Raskin Center for Humane Interfaces", a quck google will find it as I don't have the link.

aranhamo
Sep 12, 2006, 11:31 AM
And your point was?

That the article was not attempting to address all of Raskin's theories, just one memo that he wrote around 1979 (according to the article).

IJ Reilly
Sep 12, 2006, 01:35 PM
That the article was not attempting to address all of Raskin's theories, just one memo that he wrote around 1979 (according to the article).

Which is why the article is so shallow. This is my point.