Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
So I sold my Old Sony Vaio on eBay and the buyer complained that it didn't have a modem, and wanted a refund you can read all about it in this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/228849/ if you want to. Anyway I just got home from a weekened trip, and opened the computer, and tried to start it up and it was dead. There was a crack in the DVD Drive front, and the back was all bent out of shape. I re-installed it using the original recovery cds, and it booted fine. However I looked in the registry and found the product key, and it doesn't match the one on the Windows ME sticker on the back of the machine. Im thinking she had the exact same model which was broken, bought mine swapped my HDs Ram, etc, and sent me back her broken case or soemthing like that. I have a picture from the original eBay auction of the back of the machine and am trying to make out either the Serial Number or Product key from the picture. Anyway here is the picture of the back

http://www.filefactory.com/file/fef665/

I uploaded it to a file hosting site because it is ~1MB, too big for MR. I was hoping that someone with Photoshop *MIGHT* be able to decifer anything from the Serial Number, which is right next to the paralell port. or the Windows ME Sticker in the top right corner. ANYTHING would be helpful even just a number or 2 from eather. I know the image wuality isn't the best but im hoping someone can get something out of it. Thank you very much for any help.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
Wow, this story just gets more interesting, don't take this the wrong way, but I hope the "old lady" tried to scam you, that would be something

I am no expert but I see

FVQXW-Q??D?-QF?33-??VRV-Z??PG (? unknowns)

Just adjusted the contrast and squinted real hard

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Bibulous said:
Wow, this story just gets more interesting, don't take this the wrong way, but I hope the "old lady" tried to scam you, that would be something

I am no expert but I see

FVQXW-Q??D?-QF?33-??VRV-Z??PG (? unknowns)

Just adjusted the contrast and squinted real hard

Loooking closer my-self that seems about right, and it matches the sticker on there now. Is it possible that the key in the registry is different then the key on the sticker? Any luck with the serial number? :) Im so confused

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.