PDA

View Full Version : scary ibook fan

noht*
Mar 29, 2003, 05:41 PM
tonight, the fan of my ibook 800 came on for the first time since i bought it last november.
i usually leave it on all the time (uptime now about 2 months minus one reboot for 10.2.4).
at first i thought my hard disk was having a head crash...the fan really sounds scary (i didn't even know the ibook has one). it's kind of a high pitched, pulsating noise.
anyone else ever heard the fan of his ibook?

Jimong5
Mar 29, 2003, 05:51 PM
no, but imagine sitting with a steady whirr of a MDD, then: VROOOM it sounded as if a car stomped its acelerator outside of if a jet took off, and it was the VERY high fan of my MDD. It scared the heck out of me...

howard
Mar 29, 2003, 06:01 PM
yeah the first time i heard the ibook fan it freaked me out..it as been more recently i think cause i've been folding constantly.

Nermal
Mar 29, 2003, 06:13 PM
I've heard it a few times, but it usually only comes on when I'm playing demanding games. The first time I heard it, I thought it was the CD drive!

Anne
Mar 31, 2003, 09:25 AM
I often work with my ibook sitting on my lap, so I hear the fan more often than average.

Mine is definitely not scary or high pitched like yours. The moment it starts up it's a bit louder, but then in half a second it settles down and is just quiet white noise. Doesn't really bother me.

I just hope it doesn't get louder with age. I have friends with laptops that you can hear clearly across a room, because the fans are always on, and are very loud. I don't know if it's a mac vs. Dell thing, or just an age thing. Time will tell...

pilotgi
Mar 31, 2003, 09:49 AM
Yes, I've heard the fan in my iBook running. A couple of weeks ago, it came on and when I put it to sleep, the fan shut off. Woke it up, fan started again and ran for about two hours when all I was doing was surfing the web.

I shut down my iBook that night and when I turned it back on, the fan stayed off. Hasn't started up again since then.

irmongoose
Mar 31, 2003, 10:00 AM
When I first read the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about some freaky Mac geek that chased you around with his hands up in the air and leaped in joy when you brought your iBook down to the local Starbucks... guess not.

irmongoose

CrackedButter
Mar 31, 2003, 10:31 AM
If i am simply surfing the web, i turn the processor down (while its still plugged in as well) and as a result, the fan on my iBook never comes on since the left palm never gets hot enough.

Its been on twice in the 2 weeks i have had it anyway and it was strange when it came on as i thought iBooks didn't have them!

mrjamin
Mar 31, 2003, 11:08 AM
i've heard mine loads of times - it definately isn't scary! i play Unreal Tournament quite a bit (which is a little stretching for the poor little thing) and it sounded just like a quiet whirring after a few seconds. Could there be some dust in it that's causing the nasty noise?