Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
Last night the screen on my iBook was flickering on and off for about 30 seconds or so, but it stopped and seemed to be fine, so i didn't think too much about it. this morning iChat crashed for no reason, so i restarted, and it wouldn't get past the "starting OS X" screen with the white box and apple logo. the progress bar is all the way filled but it won't load the OS. i've repaired permissions within the last week, i performed the apple hardware test and it said that everything was ok. same thing with fsck -y, it found some problems but fixed them. should i reinstall OS X? can i do this without reformatting and losing all of my data? i can't figure out what's wrong with this thing for the life of me. thanks in advance.

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
you can do an archive and install from the OS X install DVD/CD.
Just make sure you check off "Archive and Install" under Options.
It Archives the old system folder and installs a clean set. It doesnt touch any data in your Home directory (Desktop, Documents, music, etc... )
I do this once a year and have never had problem with my notebook in 3 1/2 years, and im a very heavy user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.