PDA

View Full Version : Nokia Bluetooth phones and Macintosh

WannabeSQ
Mar 30, 2003, 02:23 AM
I want a bluetooth cellphone, for wireless syncing, wireless headset, and remote control of my computer, like pause mp3 when i leave the room etc. I read that the sony ericsson t68i has poor reception. Nokia is coming out with many hew phones that support bluetooth. Will iSync be updated to work with nokia?

conceptdev
Mar 30, 2003, 04:29 AM
Bah, the reception is great on the t68i. There are two bluetooth remotes for the t68i.

damage
Mar 30, 2003, 04:39 AM
Sorry to disagree but after a t68m and a t68i that both had the worst reception I have ever experiences I have just tossed them for a nokia that I can actually use...it's a shame about the reception on the t68's because other than that they are a fantastic phone..

conceptdev
Mar 30, 2003, 05:14 AM
It might depend on where you live then, because in Europe the reception complaints are minimal.

All the complaints seem to come from the US and other places.

boskie
Mar 30, 2003, 05:41 AM
Be aware that Nokia's implementation of Bluetooth is what you might call 'non-standard'. A lot of 3rd party bluetooth kit - USB adapters, headsets etc simply don't work with them. This is Nokia's fault, not anyone elses. They also don't support (as far as I'm aware) the SyncXML (or it could be SyncML) standard for passing address data, so that's a showstopper too. As is sending sms' from address book too.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/10604 This seems to have mixed reviews and success, but might be worth a try as a workaround.

I'd get for the Sony Ericsson P800 (http://www.sonyericsson.com/P800) as it has the full functionality as the T68i plus a whole wagon more! And i'm sure that the next version of iSync will support it - any ideas when thats gonna be?

IMHO Apple Should of gone into partnership with Sony and Ericsson to produce an iPhone.

amnesiac1984
Mar 30, 2003, 08:40 AM
For remote control apps, they have to be written for a specific phone, so you'll have to get a t68i if you want it to work, mine works great, and I can even use the mouse with the joystick, and zoom in so i can see form across the room what i am doing, its really amazing.

Le Big Mac
Mar 30, 2003, 12:01 PM
The likely problem with reception is that the two providers -- AT&T wireless and cingular -- have not done a good job of building out the GSM system the phone works on. So there just aren't a lot of cells in which there's service.

damage
Mar 30, 2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by conceptdev
It might depend on where you live then, because in Europe the reception complaints are minimal.

All the complaints seem to come from the US and other places.

I'm actually based in Australia and we only have 3 major cell providers but they actually have very good coverage - also the fact that I can take the same SIM and put it straight into a nokia 6610 and get full strength reception in the same place that the t68's would only give me 1 to 2 bars sort of speaks for itself.... like I said shame because I really like the phone :(

WannabeSQ
Mar 30, 2003, 06:16 PM
well, I am in the US and that is where most of the reception issues with this phone come from. I don't really care how many "Bars" of reception I get, i just want to be able to make calls.

If the Nokias are as bad as you say they are for BT, i guess ill either have to wait for the next round of sony ericssons, or get a t68i and hope for the best. Right now it is free after rebate at Amazon with service through T Mobile, which in southern california (where I am) shares the network with cingular. Anybody with personal experience with the phone and tmobile in so cal?

Riko19
Mar 31, 2003, 04:52 AM
i have the 7650 and its great for pictures sopunds and of course bluetooth and infer red simply irresesistable.

Lebannen
Mar 31, 2003, 07:50 AM
I can't speak with any knowledge about iSync, but I would guess that it'll be updated in Panther to support new phones.

As for the remote programs, I can tell you that you'll soon be able to use them with a Bluetooth Nokia.

doc
Apr 2, 2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Lebannen
As for the remote programs, I can tell you that you'll soon be able to use them with a Bluetooth Nokia.

Is this based on some inside information or are you guessing here?

Lebannen
Apr 2, 2003, 05:46 PM
If I told you I was the author of Romeo, would that help? :)

Oh, and keep an eye out for Romeo 0.9 tomorrow (April 3rd), I think anyone using Romeo 0.5 or SEC will like it.

doc
Apr 2, 2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Lebannen
If I told you I was the author of Romeo, would that help? :)

Oh, and keep an eye out for Romeo 0.9 tomorrow (April 3rd), I think anyone using Romeo 0.5 or SEC will like it.

:p yeah i guess that kinda qualifies you...

is 0.9 to support Nokia? or is that 'another' project?

Lebannen
Apr 2, 2003, 06:05 PM
It's 'another' project; it'll work hand-in-hand with Romeo. It's not me writing it, but I am consulting :)