PDA

View Full Version : device to watch tv on play videogames on mac?

friendlyghost
Mar 30, 2003, 04:27 AM
Is there a firewire or usb device for the mac that will let me put in a video feed like television or my gamecube?

I've seen EyeTV, but it seems a little too limited. Also, it's useless for videogames consoles since it introduces a delay in the video feed.

Any suggestions?

matthew24
Mar 30, 2003, 07:41 AM
Two suggestions:

http://www.dazzle.com/products/hw_bridge.html

http://www.canopus.com/US/products/advc-100/pt_advc-100.asp

I am also considering, but be patient because I suspect that Apple is up to something in this area! ( Digital Hub! )

Raiden
Mar 30, 2003, 12:50 PM
There is definatly a market for a digital hub. I agree that apple is probly working on something like it.

Next year when I goto college, how cool would it be to buy a 23inch display from apple and play PS2 on it, then instantly switch to TV to watch football. Or then switch to the tower to surf the net.

acj
Mar 30, 2003, 07:02 PM
At one point apple had somethign called a MacintoshTV or something along those lines. I think they sold 1500 or so. But there's gotta be a tv tuner available. They're $50 for a PC, and there are lots of options.

hugemullens
Mar 30, 2003, 08:38 PM
Formac Studio DV/TV. It does exactly what your looking for. I dont know how well it will do video games though.

DreaminDirector
Mar 30, 2003, 08:53 PM
I have a Formac and I hooked up my xbox to it. There is a about a quarter of a second delay that happens and it's annoying a hell. I'm trying to play halo and I'm gettin' my ass beat by the computer because I keep overcorrecting for the delay. I think that might happen because it was filtered through the firewire. Personally, the formac is great for watching tv but not playing games that are reflex intensive.

Freg3000
Mar 30, 2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by DreaminDirector
I have a Formac and I hooked up my xbox to it. There is a about a quarter of a second delay that happens and it's annoying a hell. I'm trying to play halo and I'm gettin' my ass beat by the computer because I keep overcorrecting for the delay. I think that might happen because it was filtered through the firewire. Personally, the formac is great for watching tv but not playing games that are reflex intensive.

Exactly. The fraction of a second delay with the Formac is very noticeable.

What I did though, what connected the RCA plugs in the Formac, recorded it on my Powermac, but then also took another set of RCA wires and used the video out ports on the Formac, and brought it back to the TV. There was NO delay on the TV, and I recorded the action. Then I made a movie, and sent it to my friends, highlighting the best parts.

I don't understand how going from console to Formac to TV showed no lag, yet console to Formac was a bit slower.

Either way-it was pretty cool!

DreaminDirector
Mar 31, 2003, 01:00 AM
that's awesome! I never thought about porting it back out to the TV from the Formac. I've got to try that! Thanks Freg3000!

TEG
Mar 31, 2003, 01:37 AM
From My understanding of the technology, most devices don't cause the delay, its the viewer. However, I figured I'd throw my hat into the ring with the My Video and MyTV (http://www.eskapelabs.com/products.html) Products from eskape labs. I used them once at the a Mac Business Expo in Seattle. They were great, they had several PBG3s hooked up to them one had the TV, on the same chanel as a TV at the back of the booth with no delay, plus a PS2 hooked to another with no delay, and a GameCube on the other wit no delay. (Also had them on the TV)

TEG

macphoria
Mar 31, 2003, 02:09 AM
-----Formac Studio DV/TV. It does exactly what your
-----looking for. I dont know how well it will do video
-----games though.

I use Formac Studio as well. It works pretty well with my PlayStation 2. It is hooked up via RCA, which works better than standard cable connection. There is slight delay, as people have mentioned before. But it really is fraction of a second and something you can get used to.

daniel77
Mar 31, 2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by DreaminDirector

halo sux0rs :cool:

Kid Red
Mar 31, 2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by TEG
From My understanding of the technology, most devices don't cause the delay, its the viewer. However, I figured I'd throw my hat into the ring with the My Video and MyTV (http://www.eskapelabs.com/products.html) Products from eskape labs. I used them once at the a Mac Business Expo in Seattle. They were great, they had several PBG3s hooked up to them one had the TV, on the same chanel as a TV at the back of the booth with no delay, plus a PS2 hooked to another with no delay, and a GameCube on the other wit no delay. (Also had them on the TV)

TEG

I noticed they don't mention X.

Are there any of these devices that are great quality pictures? I have the 23" HD and would love a decent size picture that is high quality asi get HD/digtal cable feeds to the house and would love to watch on my mac while I'm working sometimes. Also, would i have to run a seperate line into my studio? I have 1 cable line for my modem, could I splice that or have to run a new one?