Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a dual 1.25ghz G4 powermac, before i buy, i wanted to know how upgradable they are (i.e. for futureproofing).

Also, how easy it was to install a second cdrom (just a straight forward cdrom) as the only options you have as far as optical drives go is combo or superdrive and having both would be a bit pointless!

MrJ

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: Thinking about buying a G4 powermac...

Originally posted by mrjamin
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a dual 1.25ghz G4 powermac, before i buy, i wanted to know how upgradable they are (i.e. for futureproofing).

Also, how easy it was to install a second cdrom (just a straight forward cdrom) as the only options you have as far as optical drives go is combo or superdrive and having both would be a bit pointless!

MrJ
A lt of a Powermac is upgradable. What you can't change is the bus speed nor does Apple support processor upgrades (although some other companies make them.)

Adding memory to the maximum is of course easy. Adding additional hard drives is easy. Changing the video board is easy.

Adding a regular CD-ROm to the Powermac should be workable. I find a few uses for a Super Drive / Combo Drive setup. Some are rathe rminor. With the exception of burning DVDs, you don't have to worry if the Super Drive is in use when you want to do something. Also, you can set one of the drives to a different region so you can play back DVDs from elsewhere.

One thing I suggest you check before you order is the price difference between the DP1.25 and the DP1.42 the way you want it configured. In the US, the price difference is about $300. It might be worth it to get the faster machine.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by robotrenegade
I would hold for the 970 chip and not be left in the dark.

I agree. But if you really need/want a computer right now, go
for the g4 and buy a 970 processor upgrade card (powerlogix)
later and add some RAM and you've got yourself a new machine.

:)

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
Originally posted by scem0
I agree. But if you really need/want a computer right now, go
for the g4 and buy a 970 processor upgrade card (powerlogix)
later and add some RAM and you've got yourself a new machine.

:)

wont the 970 use a different architecture? i.e. the same reason you cannot shove a G4 in an older ibook :p :D

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
yeah, the powermac is a great machine and if you need one by all means go for it, but personally i'd wait. And i wouldn't count on a 970 upgrade for the powermacs, they may come out, but if your counting on one and they can't be upgraded, your screwed.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
well, i wouldn't be looking to buy until august (i have to save my pennies!). I'm a student so the edu price helps!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
if you really need a computer go out and get a dual 1.25 if not within 4-5 months i think an all new powermac 970 will be coming our way and will blow the doors of the g4 in everyway to the point of making it a has been.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.