PDA

View Full Version : Folding on a PS2 with linux?

jethroted
Mar 30, 2003, 09:58 AM
I'm thinking about picking up a Linux kit for my ps2. If I do then I want to try folding on it. The thing is, If I don't compile it on the ps2 (which is 128 bit), then it won't be able to take advantage of that, and run as if it was on a 32 bit machine. At 300 Mhz that isn't very fast. Does anyone have any deep seeded connections with someone at F@H that could get a hold of the source code for the Linux version? I know they don't want it out there, but I really want to try this.

MrMacMan
Mar 30, 2003, 09:09 PM
That would be insane, but I don't think anyone has tried it... very intresting tho. If your picking it up already, why not?

I imagine some connecting problems... well if you have good PS2 internet adaptar it might work... just never heard of doing that before...

mac15
Mar 30, 2003, 09:28 PM
you make it sound slow, at only 300mhz. The Ps2 would rip through folding or seti or anything like that. I never even though about trying it with my PS2.

MrMacMan
Mar 30, 2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by mac15
you make it sound slow, at only 300mhz. The Ps2 would rip through folding or seti or anything like that. I never even though about trying it with my PS2.

300 MHZ really aint that fast but it is worth a try.

I imagine that it would finish most smaller WU 1-2 days before deadline but you never know untill you try.

Lets hope your god-like with linux tho. :D

jethroted
Mar 31, 2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
300 MHZ really aint that fast but it is worth a try.

I imagine that it would finish most smaller WU 1-2 days before deadline but you never know untill you try.

Lets hope your god-like with linux tho. :D

300 mhz is not fast if you only run at 32 bit. If I was able to compile it for 128 bit, then it should be crazy. My brother is mad with unix, not me, so he would help with the setup. Linux for ps2 is about $200 for the whole kit which has a monitor adapter, an ethernet adapter, 40 gig hard drive, keyboard & mouse, 8 meg memory card, and the OS. It's pretty hard to find though, so even if I wanted to buy it, I have to find it first. It would be cool to run my ps2 as a pc though!

MrMacMan
Mar 31, 2003, 08:47 AM
Yeah that would kick but I haven't heard of such optimiztion...

If getting altivec support is hard imagine what controversy if they gave out a 128 bit one before a mac one...

Could be a great project tho. Go for it :p

Stelliform
Mar 31, 2003, 10:47 AM

jethroted
Mar 31, 2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Stelliform
Jethroted, that is the wackiest idea I have ever heard! And it just might work! The problem appears to be getting the client. (http://playstation2-linux.com/projects/ps2-distributed/)

Ya from there I found these guys who actually have a client for the ps2! It's not for Stanford's F@H, but it works! check it out.

http://www.distributedfolding.org/

Stelliform
Mar 31, 2003, 01:55 PM
I saw that one, but I wasn't certain that it would work for Folding at home. But if it allows your PS2 to do worthwile work I say go for it.... Now mabey I can spin this so that my wife would let me get a PS2! ;)

jethroted
Apr 1, 2003, 07:05 PM
I saw that one, but I wasn't certain that it would work for Folding at home. But if it allows your PS2 to do worthwile work I say go for it.... Now mabey I can spin this so that my wife would let me get a PS2! ;)

Yeah, that's a real good reason. Just tell her you NEED to do it to save humanity. ;)

Raven
Apr 1, 2003, 09:16 PM

dFold is a different project,you can't use that client for F@H. But it is a worthwile project that you could join, If macumors does not have a team we (macnn) do have one you would be welcome to join.

Stelliform
Apr 2, 2003, 06:56 AM

hvfsl
Apr 2, 2003, 07:37 AM
The PS2 is actually faster than the Xbox at 2D graphics, so its chip cant be that bad. I would expect it to be about as fast as a 800Mhz G4 Mac. How about folding on an Xbox, you can install Linux on that.

By the way, what is folding? It sounds like someone trying to fold paper.

jethroted
Apr 2, 2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by hvfsl
The PS2 is actually faster than the Xbox at 2D graphics, so its chip cant be that bad. I would expect it to be about as fast as a 800Mhz G4 Mac. How about folding on an Xbox, you can install Linux on that.

By the way, what is folding? It sounds like someone trying to fold paper.

Well I have a ps2 right now, and I would never buy anything from Microcrap. They will never get one red cent from me. ;)

Stelliform
Apr 2, 2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by jethroted
Well I have a ps2 right now, and I would never buy anything from Microcrap. They will never get one red cent from me. ;)

Ditto from me. Well at least I buy the least amount that I can from them. I currently only have a gameboy. :) That would be extreme if it could fold....

howard
Apr 2, 2003, 10:27 AM
screw the ps2 and xbox...this is what we need for folding..

quote:
The 100 teraflop ASCI Purple system will be powered by 12,544 POWER5 microprocessors, IBM’s next generation microprocessor. These processors will be contained in 196 individual computers with a total memory bandwidth of 156,000 GBs, the equivalent of 31,200 DVD movies every second. All of the computers are interconnected via a super-fast data highway with a total interconnect bandwidth of 12,500 GB. ASCI Purple will run IBM's AIX 5L operating system.

The system will also contain 50 terabytes of memory (50 trillion units), which is 400,000 times more capacity than the average desktop PC and two petabytes of disk storage (two quadrillion units), the content of approximately one billion books.

heres the link
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/pseries/news/pressreleases/2002/nov/asci_purple.html

MrMacMan
Apr 2, 2003, 05:34 PM
I've seen that howard but now the real question is:

How much?

Lets see I can give... about $300 that should cover 1/1.000004E103 of the cost. :p