Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Ok, here's the deal: I own no Mac, mostly because I couldn't afford one. All the same I drool over them daily. However, I am now a software developer (Java) and I make pretty good money. I want a Powerbook bad. Really bad. But I can't find a killer app for it. I can't think of anything it can do for me that I can't do on my PC, at least anything that's useful to me, and thus I can't justify spending the $$$. I can't do Java developement on it, because the software developement I do is on Win2k, and it would be very difficult to duplicate that environment on OSX, although I would absolutely love to. Maybe I'm just not thinking hard enough. Any ideas?

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
think Platform Efficiency

Let me say right off the bat that I Haven't sold Macs for 6 Months and NEVER got comission. The Mac was never designed for pure wireheads. They are still an excellent tool that can be used in that arena and the Software will most likely be cross platform somewhat evenly across your field. The Killer App most likely does not exist for you, However: The Platform itself is elegant and powerful enough to warrant attention. A high power Mac with monster RAM and significant RAM could run pretty much anything you want via the combining of OS X.1 and it's Native virtual PC. The major advantage to this is stability: if Windows or Linux or whatever crashes, it's just another App. you can continue and analyze the failure with no interuption or having multiple machines.

See also the Megahertz Myth Quicktime Feed on Apple's website.

Good Luck and Happy Mac-ing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.